Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 79 spider has no dashboard lights. I have a wiring diagram but cannot make heads nor tails, saying another way I have no idea what I am looking at or for. I very seldom if ever drive the car at night, but did last night which led to this discovery. Fuses look good, or should I replaces the fuse first and go from there. Headlights work fine.

·
Registered
7,785 Posts
does a 79 have a dash dimmer light (rheostat)?.......maybe that is turned right down?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I took a look at my fuses and saw that the number 5 fuse which is for instrument lights, is a 16amp and is supposed to be 8 amp. Would this be bad or of no matter. Also what would I use to clean the contact points

·
Registered
251 Posts
Do your parking lights work? I'm almost certain they are fed from the same switch output as the instrument lights. The instrument light power are the pink wires as I recall.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Parking lights do work, it is the tack and speedometer not lighting. Over the weekend I am going to clean the fuse contacts, change number 5 to the correct amps, look for that pink wire and see what happens. Appreciate the answers.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I was wrong. There tach and speedo lights are the yellow wires that go to the instrument cluster pods. Look at fuse number 5, there are 3 yellow wires that come off the back of it. One of the three go to the instrument cluster, then they actually go on to the other loads: Ashtray light and switch, and also the green indicator light on the dash that shows that your lights are on.

Does that green light go on when you turn the parking/headlights on? If so, there is a good chance that the circuit to the speedo/tach has power.

You can easily get to the wires on the back side of the tach or speedo by undoing the little screw at the bottom of the pod and the front of it comes off, which then exposes two screws that hold the instrument in the pod. Remove these two screws and take the instrument out. The ground wire attaches to the pod right there. You could easily check for continuity, power, ground or to change the bulbs.

Note: there are two images below, the one on the bottom is the "top" of the first one. Use the second one to see where the yellow wire continues to.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,785 Posts
don't want to hark on about it, but you sure the dimmer is OK?..they can be tricky little things, try turning it back and forth several times.....see if you get a glimmer from the pod lights....

·
Registered
251 Posts
The dimmer (at least on the 73, thinking the 79 is the same thing) has no effect on the pod or other instruments. Only the center console lights.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Did they work before? Sounds silly but many people don't notice dash lights getting dimmer until the very last bulb burns out and it is completely dark. To make sure the fuse is making good contact, just rotate it back and forth a couple of times and then squeeze the top and bottom tabs holding it to put a little extra pressure on the fuse, the tabs on my '63, that has gone to heaven, were always lose.

I also drove my Mercedes around for a month with no dash lights, until I looked at the owners manual and discovered the clock adjustment knob was also the dash light dimmer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts