Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Can someone please tell me the exact location for the 2 ground straps, one for the engine and one for the transmission? Car is almost ready to be started after 10 long years!!

Thanks for any help!

Chris

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Hi Chris,
Congratulations on your progress! I know there is a ground strap on the right lower rear side of the engine (passenger side in the US) that connects to either the fire wall or the transmission tunnel. My son just tightened it up for me last weekend. I'll see if I can get more information or a photograph this weekend. I don't remember seeing a ground strap on the transmission.

I did notice that Classic Alfa has new ground straps for about $11 each and thought it would be nice to replace the 'old oily bent up' one with a new one; next time I place an order.

Photographs would be nice!

Mark

·
Premium Member
1,511 Posts
I'm interested as well. Pix would be great.

Mark, thanks for the tip on Classic Alfa having straps, I need new ones.

·
Super Moderator
10,584 Posts
there is a ground strap on the right lower rear side of the engine (passenger side in the US) that connects to either the fire wall or the transmission tunnel... I don't remember seeing a ground strap on the transmission.
Yes, there is just one ground strap - the aluminum engine and transmission conduct electricity pretty well; no need to ground both. The stock strap is usually connected to one of the starter bolts, and to a dedicated lug on the chassis near the starter.

Not to take business away from Classic Alfa, but in the US, NAPA stores sell a braided ground strap that closely matches the one supplied by Alfa. I think it's the one at: http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx/Electrical-Ground-Strap-Cables-Velvac/_/R-TWEVEL058116_0144566658#largeProductImageWrapper , but you may want to do a little more research to confirm that.

·
Premium Member
1,511 Posts
Thanks, Jay!

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Hopefully the following two photographs will be helpful. I just slid the camera under the car for the 'snails eye' view. From the 'birds eye' view you may be able to extrapolate where the cable goes on the engine, just below the timing port window.

The ground strap that NAPA has looks similar except it is either Aluminum or tin plated.

Ground strap snail eye view.jpg

Ground strap birds eye view.jpg

Good luck,
Mark

·
Premium Member
1,511 Posts
I will say thanks as well...I had the same question!

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
The nice copper ground straps that Classic Alfa sells are about 1.5" too short for the Montreal. When tightening up the bolts, one end ripped right off the ground strap. I wrote CA to let them know the ground strap did not fit the Montreal. Also that the Montreal does not use a foot operated (pressurized) windshield washer pump; that it has an electric (Nippon) pump motor; mine leaks like a sieve.

Mark

1 - 9 of 9 Posts