Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious if any Giulia owners in California have attempted to get their cars smogged, and if so, what the results were. And as an addendum, would a Giulia, whether a Super or a 1300 TI, be considered a gross polluter?

AA

·
Registered
325 Posts
Why? Aren't they exempt? (Age).

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are exempt, at least in California. It's more of a hypothetical question. As in, if you hooked your Giulia up to a smog testing apparatus, how bad a score would it get?

·
Super Moderator
11,775 Posts
if you hooked your Giulia up to a smog testing apparatus, how bad a score would it get?
You mean a Weber carburated Giulia? Really bad.

·
Super Moderator
11,775 Posts
Or with a Solex
Same answer.

Most cars were still carburated when emissions standards were first applied in the 70's and manufacturers had to jump through all sorts of hoops (thermal reactors, air injection, mechanisms to retard the timing, .....) to get them to pass. Alfa decided it would be cheaper (or at least easier) to go with fuel injection (e.g., Spica) than trying to pass with carburetors, and even then, they needed catalytic converters, air injection, timing retard, etc.

So just subjecting a 1960's era carbureted car to an emission test probably would result in a "gross polluter" designation.

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
Just out of curiosity, AAlfa, I'm interested in knowing where you are politically about this? You are no doubt aware that in many European countries, the various "green" political parties and interests have long been upset by the continued popularity of "old timer" collector cars which, although usually driven sparingly, still affront because they symbolically represent an earlier time when environmental concerns were largely ignored. Just the presence of these cars on the streets---regardless of their vanishing statistical impact on the environment---is an affront to environmentally "woke" individuals. As a result, ever so often there is another push by one or more green parties to either ban old-timers entirely, or severely limit their use.

Would you support laws intended to limit the use of Giulia Supers and TI's in urban areas, or laws intend to ration the amount of time an owner might drive a "gross emetter" earch month?

Reactions: ganunez

·
Premium Member
22,973 Posts
They wouldn't test it, I wouldn't think if (1) it's not required and (2) they have no standards for that model in the system. Which they wouldn't since 1300 Giulias were never sold here. Could be anywhere on the emissions map depending on how it runs. You could hook it up to someone's CO meter and see what you get.
Andrew

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's a good question. I own a 1300 TI, and love it, but if it were outlawed out of concern for the common good, I'd give it up whether happily or not. Pat Braden once wrote something rather poetic about the inefficiencies of internal combustion and their implications for humanity. It's somewhere in the pages of the All-Alloy Twin Cam Companion.

·
Premium Member
22,973 Posts
The day will most likely come where we won't be driving any of these any longer. That said, a modern car, running well, uses almost all of its fuel. In California at the moment I would bet the exhaust coming out of a 2020 car is cleaner than the smoky air from the wildfires. I've had even 70s and 80s Spiders with cats, running well, that have virtually no CO or HC. They do have some NOx, no real way around that. So they're not really dirtying the air, though they are using up fossil fuels and generating heat. But aren't we all.
Andrew

·
Super Moderator
11,775 Posts
The link in post #11 makes no sense - goes to "Alfa Conventions" page on the BB. Did you intend that?

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
I own a 1300 TI, and love it, but if it were outlawed out of concern for the common good, I'd give it up whether happily or not.
Sadly "the common good" typically represents a narrow agenda determined by government and inevitably enforced by armed police. I prefer a society based on liberty and freedom, one that recognizes that outlawing old sports cars is political symbolism, unrelated to any practical reality, and therefore abysmally bad government policy.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Although he’s not the most accurate in many of his observations (Lancia and the Marshall Plan), Jay Leno said something years ago that stuck with me.
Our older cars are emitting more sitting in the garage than new cars driving on the freeway when you consider the plastics used on interiors, no vapor cannisters for fuel tanks, etc.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
They are exempt, at least in California. It's more of a hypothetical question. As in, if you hooked your Giulia up to a smog testing apparatus, how bad a score would it get?
Would blow up the meter.

·
Premium Member
22,973 Posts
It would be better if we don't get into the politics of whether smog controls are good or bad, who and what should or should not be exempt, etc. I used to be a moderator, had to break up such dog fights. No one is going to convince anyone else of their opposing view.

If we stay on the technical side of it, great.

Andrew

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
True enough, Andrew.

·
Registered
325 Posts
What would constitute a discussion (NOT a dogfight) on this forum re: pollution control standards? What cars would those standards apply to? Who would make the "rules" ?Eventually, will perfectly good cars that enthusiasts enjoy (25 yrs or older), "classics" and various super rare race and concourse cars go to the crusher?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts