Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dec 2014 GRM article 'What Makes the Perfect Spots Car?' is credited to Norman Garrett the fellow who tried to clone the Lotus Elan for Mazda. In the article he properly mentions the Porsche 914 as something of a design masterpiece. What I do not understand is that while he mentions a number of other cars he fails to recognize the advanced sport car engineering that is found in the Alfa GTV6. What makes the perfect sports car is a very worthy subject for this or any other car forum and I am encouraging everyone to read his article and weigh in on this subject. Look forward to hearing from you.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
When it was pointed out that the Porsche 914 should be considered a design masterpiece... that would give me pause in trusting the remainder of the opinions included in that article, right there!!

By 'design', was he referring to the mainly VW components used in the 'engineering design'? Or, to the very clumsy styling?

I put the 914 near the top of the world's ugliest cars... right up there with a '58 Buick and a Renault R16. Last year, I took my GTV6 into my mechanic for a couple of details. He had a Porsche 914 in the yard too. I asked that he park my ALFA as far from the 914 as he could. Since I wasn't convinced that 'ugly' is not contagious, I didn't want any of that rubbing off on my little Italian.

More to the point of how your query was framed: As an affordable Sports Car, the Alfetta Coupe and GTV6 have a suspension and chassis setup that one might expect on cars like Ferarris, Maseratis, and Lamborghinis. 51/49 weight bias with engine in the front,, and clutch, gearbox, and diif in the rear. deDion transaxle. Inboard rear brakes. Vented discs in the front. Deluxe hemi-head V6. And so on...

The later Porsche 924 had a similar arrangement... but not introduced until 1976. Making the ALFA setup 4-to-6 years ahead of the 924... depending on which ALFA models you are including. The 1981 GTV6 was sold for around $15K new. So, considerable cheaper to purchase, than the 924 Porsche or the 944.

The transaxle ALFAs get my vote in earning a right to be on that list.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
You know I have always had special place in my heart for the 914. Like the GTV6 it is an acquired taste, you either love it or hate it. I have friends that really don't like the 80's styling of my GTV6.
I apologize if I offended one of your favorites, on the 914. I guess both cars may fall under 'acquired taste'. Maybe, we can agree on the '58 Buick and Renault R16? :- )

·
Registered
108 Posts
No offense taken just thought I should throw out my opinion because this is the internet? You are right the front end of the Buick is so ugly not even a mother could love it. Not a fan of the Renault either but I am sure there is a fan club for them just like the Reliant Robin has one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts