Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

Over here in Holland I've a 64 Sprint GT, grigio Grafite, totally original paint, original US delivery.
Got some damage to the left front fender and A pillar, which I've repaired by now, with a little help of a very rare NOS front fender, supplied by Hein Brand. See pics on my FB pages..

Now, in the driver side doorstep is a sticker from Griswold, in Cali.
I've seen the name come by here. Are they still in operation? Or anyone I can reach out to about this car?

I'll post some pics and further info when it is back from paint..

Thanks in advance,
Rik

·
Registered
45 Posts
The Griswold Company went out of business in the late 1970's. However, you can contact Jon Norman of AlfaParts in Berkeley, California. He specializes in selling Alfa parts. He was the Parts Manager for the the Griswold Company for many years. It started out as an official Alfa Romeo Service Center on San Pablo Avenue in Berkeley in the 1960's (I think). It subsequently expanded to another location on San Pablo Avenue and became a full Alfa Romeo dealership. I used to go thereal the time in the lates 60's and ear;y 70's to buy parts for my Alfa. They always had what you needed in stock (unlike the other Bay Area Alfa dealers) and had the best prices. They also serviced and repaired a lot of exotics - Ferrari's, Maserati's, etc. I remember when the Fiat OTAS coupes were first sold in the US in the 1968 or 1969. They had a couple of new ones for sale and I fell in love with them. Griwswold also did a lot of high end restorations of Italian cars near the end. I mean "Pebble Beach quality" restorations. I think Steve Griswold, the owner retired. Don't know what happened to him, but he ran great operation. His people really knew what the were doing. The sodium filed exhaust valves they sold me cured a chronic exhaust valve burning problem I had with my 101 series Giulietta Sprint.

·
Premium Member
21,711 Posts
Griswold is a complicated-ish story that spawned a good bit of the booming Italian car industry in the East Bay. Norman Racing, Ottis Ferrari, Epifani, Groom, many shops came out of Griswold. I was just getting the story from Jon recently. Fascinating.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
3,620 Posts
I always assumed the California Griswold was connected to the Frank Griswold who won the first post WW2 Watkins glen race in a 8C2900B Berlinetta (owned today by Jon Shirley). Correct?

Griswold is a complicated-ish story that spawned a good bit of the booming Italian car industry in the East Bay. Norman Racing, Ottis Ferrari, Epifani, Groom, many shops came out of Griswold. I was just getting the story from Jon recently. Fascinating.
Andrew

·
Registered
16 Posts
Steven is Frank's son. I think Griswold Co. was in operation into the '80s (I believe I have a few back issues of Cavallino that have Griswold Co. ads showing a completely disassembled 250 GTO...)

Last I knew, Griswold lived in England. He had a website but I can't seem to find it.

Here's a photo I have of Maserati V8Ri 4504 after it arrived and was disassembled.

I believe Steve was Frank's son, but don't have it in writing.
Andrew

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts