Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got a 74 spider, it has not ever grind gears when i got it, now that i had the engine out and all rebuild, new clutch and pressure plate and throw out bearing,
all new down there, now it has a slight grind when shifting thru the gears, he re bled the clutch to make sure there no air, and still it does it.WHAT WRONG

if u shift slow and hesitate in neutral for a second then it is ok. IS THAT NORMAL

THANKS
IT IS 2000 velonce

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
OK, I can think of a few things.

1. Bleed it again as it might be the clutch not fully dis-engaging and dragging. It's somtimes very hard to get the air out of the system. Power Bleed or force fluid up from the slave to push the air out thru the top.

1A. Rebuild the slave.

2. Did you change the oil in the trans?? If you didn't put in the proper Red Line oil that can cause a grind.

3. New disc is not right and dragging. Could be something like it's warped to not sliding on the input shaft properly.

4. Throwout bearing not installed right??

As you can see there are lots of scenarios. Some easy, some ugly.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Then the clutch or master probably isn't up to spec. With a new disc that is thicker, one or the other (or both) may not be getting the stroke needed to fully release the disc....

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
that makes sense jon, i do belive i got a new clutch and pressure plate and throw out, and i got the slave that works on the bottom. so what do u think i need to replace
thanks

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
I know its ben a while- hope you got it resolved, but for the record, you can test the clutch "distance" by placing it in 1st gear, engine on, hold down clutch on smooth road/driveway surface, clutch held to the floor. Idle engine. Car should NOT travel at all.

Oh, redline is not a must. Its a sacred cow, IMO. Theres a few cows walking around here that people do not want to kill.......

1 - 8 of 8 Posts