Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well not exactly a grinding sound. This just started happening so I stopped driving the car. When I start off in 1st I don't hear any noise at first. But as soon as I shift into 2nd and then the all the gears, I hear a sound that I can only describe as two tin pie plates rubbing together. It doesn't make the noise in reverse. It doesn't make it when the car is stopped moving, so I can only guess it's drive train related. I hear it more as I am shifting gears, but maybe only because the motor is quieter during the shift. I can shift into all gears with no effort.
I thought it was a caliper dragging, but a post from papajam said that they don't drag.
The time I did drive the car I didn't hear the noise in first, but as I drove it a little longer, I did hear it in first. I am hoping it's just a lubrication issue, tranny or diff. Thanks and help!

P.S. I you think I am low on gear oil, can you direct me to any posts on the board on how to change it.

·
Premium Member
21,374 Posts
There are two plugs in the side of the transmission. To drain, open the bottom plug. To fill, open the top plug, and pump in 90W until it runs out that hole. Then reinsert plug.

Could be any number of things though.

Andrew

·
Super Moderator
10,190 Posts
Andrew wrote: "Could be any number of things though"

I second that. Diagnosing this sort of problem over the Internet is next to impossible - one of us might guess right, but...

At some point, there is no shame in just taking your Alfa to your friendly neighborhood import car repair place, and having them run it on the lift while they listen for grinding noises.

OK, OK, here's my guess - Alfa driveshafts tend to interfere with the floor tunnel under certain conditions. The sound is more of a rumble than two pie tins, however. Two things cause this: a worn guibo (flex) coupling or a sagging rear transmission-frame mount. Worn/frozen U joints can also cause driveshaft noises. You might do a visual on these components and/or see if there are any signs of rubbing on the driveshaft. But, all of these parts can look OK visually, and still be on their way out.

If your trans is shifting OK, then it probably has some lubricant. Not to argue against checking & changing it, but if it were damaged enough to make noise, it would probably also give you symptoms through the gear change lever.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jim, the noise is only present while I am moving. Here's a thought...could it be temperature related? Earlier today it was close to 60 degrees here and I did not hear the noise. Tonight I drove the car to pick up a pizza and the noise is back. It's 47 degrees now. The noise goes away as I am breaking. Not immediately, but about a second after I apply the brakes. I depress the clutch also. While I hear the noise in 4th, if I downshift to 3rd, the noise get a touch louder and the pitch gets a little higher. The noise is more of a whirr or whine, not a grind.
I am driving the car without the center and middle(?) console. Could this be just normal sounds that the console was muffling?
I think before I drive myself totally crazy, I may just bite the bullet and take it to Trail Auto and let them figure it out.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
That sounds like you have a bad bearing in the transmission. You really should do a drain and fill on it. I bet your gear oil is ugly, and low. Its a simple way to know you may not have a bigger issue.

Will

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's my plan, but it opens up a couple more questions....What type of oil? I went to my local discount auto chain and all they had was Valvoline Durablend Synthetic Blend Oil 80W-90. They did not have a SAE90 gear oil. Is the Valvoline okay to use or should I shop for something better. I won't be driving the car in the cold. There's a NAPA store close to me, maybe they'll have a better selection. Now on to changing the gear oil..do I have to jack the car in the air to do this? I've read a couple posts that say you can fill the gear box from inside the car. Both consoles are out so that sounds like the easy way but where is that access point? Thanks

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
I am driving the car without the center and middle(?) console. Could this be just normal sounds that the console was muffling?
The reason for my original question was the thought that a shift boot had torn (please give this thread a read). But a missing console may give the same effect.

·
Premium Member
1,050 Posts
Yet another guess... how about the driveshaft support bearing? This seems to fit with the noise being better/worse in different gears (at different revolutions).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts