Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had a brak job done on my 91 spider and drove it from LA to san diego (so minimal braking) driving around town whenever I brake there's a grinding noise, over the past few days its gotten less of a noise but still some grinding noise. Any thoughts or comments, I have called the mechanics back and they say it should settle down (what else right) and am going to have a friend check it out but any comments would be appreciated if this is an alfa problem

·
Premium Member
2,176 Posts
I recently had a brak job done on my 91 spider and drove it from LA to san diego (so minimal braking) driving around town whenever I brake there's a grinding noise, over the past few days its gotten less of a noise but still some grinding noise. Any thoughts or comments, I have called the mechanics back and they say it should settle down (what else right) and am going to have a friend check it out but any comments would be appreciated if this is an alfa problem
Could be that the pads haven't bedded in yet. Is it stopping well? If so, take it on the highway, get it up to speed, make sure nobody is behind you, then step in the brakes relatively hard to slow the car from 60 - 30 or so. Do this 10-12 times, get some heat into the pads and rotors.

See if this helps. If not, try to identify which wheel(s) the noise is coming from.

I generally use some brake pad goop on the back of the pads to help minimize noise, although usually it's not necessary on my Alfas.

bs

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks

Could be that the pads haven't bedded in yet. Is it stopping well? If so, take it on the highway, get it up to speed, make sure nobody is behind you, then step in the brakes relatively hard to slow the car from 60 - 30 or so. Do this 10-12 times, get some heat into the pads and rotors.

See if this helps. If not, try to identify which wheel(s) the noise is coming from.

I generally use some brake pad goop on the back of the pads to help minimize noise, although usually it's not necessary on my Alfas.

bs
thanks I'll try that, it does stop well no problem there I'll try what you suggest

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok problem solved, located the noise coming from the offside front wheel, took off the wheel and lo and behold the top anchor bolt was missing????? so the brake caliper was leaning forward and catching. Got a replacement bolt and fixed it. Spoke to the owner of the shop and let him know either it was not put on in the first place or put on and not tightened - either way not too impressed ............ took the alfa for a spin on Friday and everything is ok.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts