Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Dean,

Not quite sure what you mean & how thick those spacers are . On my car with simmons F 90 wheels (road tyres) we had to grid off the Brembo lettering, probably less than 2 mm to ensure no rubbing. R spec track tyres on Globe Bathurst wheels no problems.

Also tried some 14" momo vega's they had no clearance issues

Gully

·
Registered
615 Posts
Where it says Brembo they are already thin. They are as thin as the factory felt it would be safe for use. They were designed to save weight so they are thin and small.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Krazymaan, I hear you. They dont add extra material for the sake of it. Would be interesting to see a picture of one cut in half.

Paul. With one spacer of about 4mm the rim is hitting the caliper were it is marked brembo. If I fit a second spacer of about 2mm there is sufficient clearance however I start to run out of thread on the wheel studs. Also the wheels might rub on the body of the car under cornering loads because im only running 28mm bars (the guards have been rolled). If I can remove some metal from the calipers and use only the one 4mm spacer I can retain the original wheel studs and have good clearance around the bodywork.

I dont think I need to take much material of the caliper but I just thought I would ask. I definitely want to see a nice air gap between the wheel and the caliper. That kind of stuff stresses me out.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Dean,

Looking at the photo of your Ronal wheel part of the mounting surface appears to be recessed. Is that whats giving you the grief ?.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Paul. I'm not to sure what you mean. Its hitting on the caliper just at the brembo markings around the middle of the inside on the face of the rim.
I just need to remove some of the metal from the caliper as you did however I think I need to take of a little more than just the brembo lettering itself.

Btw What times did you end up with on the weekend. That car of yours is well sorted now so come on you need to put it on a diet :)

·
Registered
174 Posts
Btw What times did you end up with on the weekend. That car of yours is well sorted now so come on you need to put it on a diet
I ended up with a 2.05 probably a couple of more seconds in it. I was thinking about getting some weight out. ( probably easier to get 10kg out of me than the car). But then again driving home from the track with the heater on and listening to a bit of Van Morrison are creature comforts that are getting harder to surrender as you get older.

Cheers

Gully

·
Registered
296 Posts
I'd just bolt it up and let the wheels and calipers machine themselves into compliance. That grinding noise will go away soon enough.

But that's just me.:D

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
I have ground off just the 'Brembo' and a THIN dressing off that face of the caliper, facing the inner wheel, to fit wheels a couple of times. I have also had to go a tiny bit more, it's a matter of off and on the car a few times to fine tune it. Good rule of thumb, go a TINY bit extra when it finally clears,,, if you are driving the Alfa properly, the wheel will Probably flex a Tiny amount,,,

JB, too funny, I gotta tell you a story sometime about actually doing [something] ;like that,, On my Own car,,

""Do not try this at home, this was performed by a trained[?] Professional on a closed course,""

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks HMA thats at least something.

Paul you best be of to Benincas for some cams, 45mm throttle bodies and an autronic managment system. Get rid of that nasty afm and get under that magic 2 min mark.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Paul you best be of to Benincas for some cams, 45mm throttle bodies and an autronic managment system. Get rid of that nasty afm and get under that magic 2 min mark.
Your probably right, but it just might be cheaper to buy a Porsche 911 than trying to get a road going 2 litre under 2.00 at Philip Island

·
Registered
27 Posts
FYI, from Vic roads.
"... grinding or other modifications to disk brake calipers .... to facilitate the fitment of ... replacement wheels are not permitted".

So technically you would be unroadworthy.
Alan.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts