Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello ALFABB.
New to the scene and new owner of a 1974 Alfa Romeo Spider 2000 Veloce. The car currently has the original 'Millerighe' mags but I'm honestly not a fan of the turbine style wheels. I'd like to go to a set of GTA style wheels with new rubber but not sure what size of rim to go with (match the existing or go up a size) and also trying to get educated as to what the offset should be if switching. I'll probably be on here asking a lot of questions. Any guidance would be most appreciated.

·
Registered
7,544 Posts
Congratulations and welcome!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, lgbalfa! Looking forward to chats on the BB. Also very much looking forward to cleaning up the Spider, detailing it and making it my own and enjoying some fun drives!

·
Administrator
17,714 Posts
Welcome aboard, Joe.

I'm not sure about wheel offset so I don't want to steer you wrong (groan...). Check with some of the Alfa suppliers - they might list the size/offset. The search function here works pretty good. Or, type "Alfabb + <what you seek>" into a search engine (like Google) and it will likely find lots of relevant info for you.

Now, then, regarding photos. We have an unwritten rule regarding photos. We like photos so we insist you post some!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the welcome greeting ghnl and thanks for the info. Not a techie (hence the reason for buying an old vintage automobile) so I'll have to learn how to navigate through the BB site. As for pics, here's one taken the day I first went to see the car.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,693 Posts
Joe M. said:
I'd like to go to a set of GTA style wheels
Check with some of the Alfa suppliers - they might list the size/offset.
ghnl is right. As long as you are installing a wheel sold by an Alfa parts supplier (and I can't imagine anyone else selling GTA style wheels), they will have the right offset. Centerline, Alfaholics, Classic Alfa, and I'm sure other suppliers carry these wheels. Here's the Classic Alfa write up: WH016 GTA STYLE 7 x 14" ALLOY WHEEL - STANDARD OFFSET ET23 - SILVER

My advice as to wheel width and tire size is to just stick to the original 185/70-14. Longstone Tyres sells CN-36 Pirelli Cinturatos that look right on a vintage car and offer performance that's commensurate with your 50+ year old suspension design. See: 185/70 R 14 PIRELLI CINTURATO ™ CN36 Other tire alternatives (Avon, Vredestein, etc.) are discussed in the link I posted above to Classic Alfa.

·
Administrator
4,080 Posts
Giallo Fly.... stunning colour for a Spider, really stands out. Just like those other Italian cars beginning with F, when you roll up to a car show, guess which one will stand out in a sea of resale red

Jay is spot-on, those are the wheels you want, unless you want a 15" performance tyre as the GTA wheels are now made in 15" as well - in that case contact Classic Alfa & ask them which wheel they recommend

Ciao
Greig

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you to everyone so far for the insight and information. Nice ride gprocket...the Rota 'Mini Lite' style wheels are definitely my second choice. I certainly wouldn't mind something that provides a little more handling performance. Anyone know much about the 'Maxilite' GTA-style wheels offered by 'Alfa-9 Supply'? They claim their wheels are 'TUV' approved certification...is this a 'UL' or 'CSA' equivalent?

·
Premium Member
1,515 Posts
Generally TUV supersedes everything, it’s the German approval and is the toughest.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts