Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I have finally registered after using your forum for much advice over the years. Restoring any vehicle in this land of turmoil is quite challenging, but as they say "its a dark and lonely job - but someone has to do it" ! Right now we have load shedding for 18 hours a day. Enough war stories. I am the very proud owner of a 1750 GTV, a 1750 Spider, and have just acquired 2 stepnose Giulia Sprint GTs, which will require a massive amount of work. All the coupes were assembled in South Africa. I have many queries and parts requirements, so will be on to you fundis often. What a great website!

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
I welcome you to the Bulletin and restoring any old Alfa can be rather difficult even in Los Angeles, California because not all parts are being reproduced.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had a chance to restore a VW Karman Ghia. Parts were abundant and reasonable. Now, I'm entering into the Alfa world and am shocked at the difference. For example, I replaced the signal light switch for the Ghia and it cost about $60 while the Alfa equivalent is about $260. Yikes. I guess I will be trying to restore the broken part rather than replacing it.

·
Super Moderator
3,583 Posts
Welcome aboard the BB Dudley, feel free to ask your questions, I'm south of your border and know the RHD GT's and GTV's quite well

Ciao
Greig

·
Premium Member
15,486 Posts
Welcome, and I think you are brave doing anything constructive there now. Nice collection of cars, and we hope you are able to save them all.

On a personal note, we traveled all over Zimbabwe in 1990 when it was still relatively easy to rent a car from Avis and drive around the country seeing the sights, staying in various accommodations including camping. Found that many areas are very pretty, and facilities were not too run down yet. There were indeed troubles, as Mugabe's people were hassling white owners of farms, businesses, and lodges even then as we learned through friends and personal experience there. One fellow we met had been the mayor of Masvingo. Of course the wildlife seeing was great and we actually had the chance to stay overnight at the Chipangali Wildlife Refuge near Bulawayo. Wild to hear the various nearby animals "talking" all through the night. Still have souvenir carvings from the markets in Bulawayo and artists set up by the sides of the roads. Just great.

Please keep in touch, and show some photos of the cars as your work progresses.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts