Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have bought some fast road springs from Alfaholics and each of them has a green blob of paint on every turn of the spring.

I thought that it maybe indicated which type of spring they are but then why the need on every turn? Also, I have an old standard spring and that has the same green blobs.

Does anybody know what it signifies? Should the springs be lined up with the blobs facing outwards or in the same orientation on each spring?

·
Registered
113 Posts
I just checked mine and no green paint, just black. Before I ordered the the Classic fast road springs I ordered the Stock IAP springs and they are block with a green stripe but no gobs of paint. I have not installed the Classic springs yet but am shocked that they are only 12" high vs. 18' (uncompressed) for stock. Are your springs 12"?

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jim, I haven't measured mine but alongside a standard front spring they look about 3" shorter.

I asked for the ones that maintain standard ride height, there are others that lower the car.

Thanks Alfaparticle, I will take a look at that.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The reply from Alfaholics is:

The green splash on the springs makes them Kit A so standard ride height. They’re stiffer than the standard ones though so have a shorter “free” length as they compress less when you sit a car on them

·
Premium Member
14,028 Posts
Compressed length = free length - (load on spring/spring rate)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Anglospider, thanks for the information. I heard back from Classic and they confirmed that the spring I ordered is too short. He recommend, for my S3, the one described as for later (S4) Spiders, go figure. Really Classic (Tom) has been great to deal with.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts