Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while back, Top Gear did a bit that purported to seek the greatest drivingroad. I think that search was for the best road in Europe, and they decided the road to Stelvio pass (top pic) was the best. Just saw a picture from the Red Bull Wingsuit olympics (this is a sport?) with an unbelievable road in the background. Tianmen Mountain, in China (second pic). Gets my vote!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Highway 1 in California from Leggett to the coast is one of my personal favourites.

Mil Cumbres in Mexico near Morelia is another.

Stelvio is great but usually too busy. If you do the Stelvio make sure you take the Umbrail Pass from Val Mustair to the Stelvio. It still has an unpaved section that is good for some fun ....

Umbrail Pass

Can't comment on China ... haven't been there.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Greatest roads

I have to agree about the Umbrail and Stelvio. These are pictures of a road trip I did af few years ago.
From Chur via Davos to the Fluela Pass, Fuorn pass, Umbrail, Stelvio and some more which I cannot recall now via Merano to Rimmini. Back via Saint Bernard, Gotthard pass and the Klausen Pass (yes I know this was not the shortes route). But for me these are the best roads of the world,

Fluela Pass

The unpaved part of the Umbrail

And afterwards camping at the seaside near Rimini...
But I liked also the roads behind Nice(F) and Highway one to SF or the roads in the Bleu Mountains or around Alice Springs in AU
Thom

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Here in Aus, I would have to suggest the Great Ocean Road (Victoria) though it can become clogged with traffic, but otherwise the Great Alpine Highway (Vic-NSW), and in Tassie, the East Coast and also the West Coast offer a huge range of fantastic and mostly lightly trafficked roads.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Rt13 from Cazenovia to Chittenengo NY. US Rt20 through Madison, and Onondaga Counties NY. Skyline Drive Blue Mountains Virginia. The road to the top of Cadillac Mountain, Acadia National Park Maine. The whole park loop road actually. Spectacular ocean views between Sand Beach, and Otter Cliffs. Moose River Rd in the Adirondacks. Black River Blvd. between Rome, and Lowville NY. Any road with a waterfall Pratts,(Rt173) Chittenengo,(Rt13) Pixley,(Rt46) Taughannock,(Rt89) Buttermilk,(Rt13s) and Hector Falls (Rt414). So many favorites, so many adventures!

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Here in Aus, I would have to suggest the Great Ocean Road (Victoria) though it can become clogged with traffic, but otherwise the Great Alpine Highway (Vic-NSW), and in Tassie, the East Coast and also the West Coast offer a huge range of fantastic and mostly lightly trafficked roads.
Cue memories.....1983/4, Apollo Bay to Melbourne in my mates Duetto. Left Apollo Bay at dusk, arrived Geelong well after dark and still hadn't caught him in my 2000 GTV. Do that these days in Oz and PC plod will have your skin.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Norway, Peru and Greece are my overseas favorites. I'll try digging up some photos. Marin & Napa County, CA and New York and New England ain't bad either.

- Norway's northern coast of the Atlantic. Wild fjords, mountains, and a bunch of ferry crossings to divide up the days. Nice nice people. English speaking. Ryfylke is an outstanding region to explore, around Stavanger. Hiking, camping, fishing, hunting in the fall. Traffic as civilized as the day is long. Some tourist caravan congestion in high seasons. Expensive!

- The PanAmerican Highway down the coast of Peru and into Chile is awesome. Ancient cultures, incredibly varied landscape, great food and the accommodations are pretty decent. Language was tough for me, but never a showstopper. Traffic behavior can be a little dicey, but there was never a lot of it on the PA Highway.. just steel yourself for the cities. Carry spare parts, tires, tools and fuel. Would love to do it again someday.

- Greece is my current top recommendation. Specifically in and around Epiros. Ioannina, Meteora, then out to Corfu. Inexpensive and readily available accommodations, marvelous marvelous roads. Plenty of space. Fantastic food and people. Language? Fuggettaboutit. But I managed to keep us all fed, bedded for the night and gassed up each morning. Beautiful views, incredible culture and did I mention the roads are marvelous? Traffic behavior was not an issue, and seemed kind of familiar… just observe closely and do what they do.

Cheers,
- Art

·
Registered
847 Posts
Greece…..

Halki, Naxos

Athens

Typical built up area..

Main highway past Corinth..

Epiros region..

..and the GPS wanted me yo go through here…

·
Premium Member
14,002 Posts
Colorado US550 - Silverton to Ouray

IMHO Colorado has mountain passes to match almost any in the world, including Italy, France and Peru. The "Million Dollar Highway" from Silverton to Ouray is my favorite.

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Crete Greece

We are currently touring Crete and find this mountainous island (highest elevation about 1400 m) has many twisty roads with countless switchbacks running mostly north south through mountain passes, gorges, villages and opening up to deep valleys or views far below of the sea. Many roads are very good and wide but then close to a narrow way wiggling through the villiages. And as said above Greece is wonderful country to tour.

Ciao

Ken

·
Registered
42 Posts
My favourites

I have been fortunate enough to have driven many great driving roads and this is my shortlist so far, not in any order;
Stelvio Pass, Italy
Grand San Bernard Pass, France/Italy
Transfăgărășan Highway, Romania
Jebel Hafeet, UAE
Grossglockner Highway, Austria
Bogong High plains Pass, Australia

Of these, the best one for me was the Transfăgărășan Highway. It has very little traffic and endless beautiful places to stop and look whilst also being a hoot to drive! Here is a pic from us driving through it last year in a 75 TS.

More pics of it and a few of the other roads at our website;
Driving from Perth to Paris by Alfa Romeo 75

·
Registered
349 Posts
Northern California. Hwy 20 west to Mendocino... then it's north or south on Hwy 1 with beautiful Pacific Ocean views and then reconnect with US 101 and head back home. Nice roads for a sports car or motorcycle. Being near my home makes the drive a first choice for a pleasant day trip.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts