Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
E-bay.com has got what looks like it could be a great GTA Replica project in Niagra Falls, price is about right as well! Its a green 1966 Sprint GT. Unfortunately the photos don't show the bits that really matter.... floors, sills etc, so I wouldn't commit to it, but if someone went to check it out, they could have themselves a cheap buy. It looks about the same as my GTA Replica project did when it started (check it out at http://www.alfaholics.com/our_cars/ ). Would be interested to see what its really like. The owner reckons it was originally white, but that is impossible due to the tan interior... much more likely to have been green all along. Also it has a wood type dash rather than grey which I have never seen before on a Sprint GT.... either a first for me or it may actually be a very early GTJ?! Its 1 piece chrome bumbers look in good nick which is a good sign for the rest of the car.... also they are like rocking horse $hit so are valuable on their own! Am looking forward to other views on this post/ if someone gets to see it!!! (am away this weekend racing so will see how things have progressed after the weekend!!) :D :D :D

·
Banned
6,139 Posts
I believe when the the 105 series cars went from GT to GTV, circa 1966, all the later cars had the wood dash. This car is probibly an early GTV, not a GT.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Wood effect dash

My 1965 GTV is green/tan, and has the wood dash, which I believe was standard on the Veloce when introduced. The car spent most of its life in Pisa and is not rebuilt - still has the dreadfull Dunlop brakes and original 15" steel wheels (I don't think 14s would fit with the Dunlop brakes),

Clive

·
Registered
304 Posts
GTveloce65 said:
- still has the dreadfull Dunlop brakes and original 15" steel wheels (I don't think 14s would fit with the Dunlop brakes)
Yes, they fit, I found my 1964 Sprint GT with four 14 Cromodora alloys, and I have the "dreadfull" Dunlop too.. (awkward braking!!)

Regarding the green ebay car, the bumpers are from an early Sprint Gt, but the dash is from a Sprint GT Veloce (and the front grille too). The car doesn't have the two round AR emblems behind the rear side windows, as the Veloce should do, but they could be removed during the repainting... Who knows?
Anyway, I would prefer to restore it as original GT, instead of making a fake GTA... ;)
Ciao

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
its not about making a 'fake' but making a much more usable/fast/better handling/more valuable car from one which it not complete/ knackered inside etc!!! (but each to their own!!!)

·
Registered
304 Posts
Max Banks said:
its not about making a 'fake' but making a much more usable/fast/better handling/more valuable car from one which it not complete/ knackered inside etc!!! (but each to their own!!!)
Hi Max, this is an interesting question. To restore ot to improve? Well, following the italian way of thinking, I usually prefer to restore the car, even if I know I keep all the original problems (as the Dunlop brakes...). I can tell you that italian market prefers original cars, and doesn't like replicas or improved cars (it means no 2000 engine or ATE brakes on a Giulia Sprint GT). So, a modified car will be perhaps faster and with a better handling, but absolutely it won't be more valuable. But I see that abroad things are different...
Ciao!

·
Registered
428 Posts
GiuliaSprintGT said:
Hi Max, this is an interesting question. To restore ot to improve? Well, following the italian way of thinking, I usually prefer to restore the car, even if I know I keep all the original problems (as the Dunlop brakes...). I can tell you that italian market prefers original cars, and doesn't like replicas or improved cars (it means no 2000 engine or ATE brakes on a Giulia Sprint GT). So, a modified car will be perhaps faster and with a better handling, but absolutely it won't be more valuable. But I see that abroad things are different...
Ciao!
Ciao Antonio! I fully agree with you!!! I prefer restoration to improving!
It is sure that European way of thinking regarding classic cars is very different to the American one. About 1 year ago i with another friend from Greece had an argument with some members from America arguing exactly on this matter. Firstly i was surprised very much by the difference in our way of thinking but then i understood that it's how they like it. ;)

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If the donor car is good enough then sure restore it back to a lovely original car, esp if Sprint GT! But if not too good or many parts have to be replaced with repro parts, + if an unsort after model eg 1300 GTJ, like mine was then undoubtedly better to make a GTA Replica!!! p.s. the best Sprint GT in the world will make £15,000, but a good GTA Replica is worth 25,000.

Have finely decided on the trim for my car, going to use a modern race type seat but trimmed in dark grey leather with matching alcantara centres, will trim the dash in the same leather and trim the dash top and bottom edge in alcantara. Will post when the stuff is completed with link to my website with all the details + pics of it in the car!!! Hope it is going to work out ok!!!! :confused: :D

·
Registered
304 Posts
Max Banks said:
p.s. the best Sprint GT in the world will make £15,000,
If you give me 10.000 pounds, I sell you my Sprint GT tomorrow!!!
:D :D :D
Watch it here: http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/showthread.php?t=5479

PS: About the green ebay GT(V): the seller ended the listing early because the item is no longer available for sale.

Ciao!!

·
Registered
11,643 Posts
The problem I have with creating a replica is that you have to restore the body shell back to perfect condition anyway (to make a racecar, have pride in it, etc.) ... and thus when that is done (by far the hardest part of a 105 restoration IMO) and you sit back and look at this perfect shell ... suddenly the car is too good for a replica!

Thus yes the car originally might have been not good enough for a concours restoration, but once the shell is fixed/restored ... it is ready for a concours job on the rest of the restoration.

Pete

·
Registered
39 Posts
GiuliaSprintGT said:
Yes, they fit, I found my 1964 Sprint GT with four 14 Cromodora alloys, and I have the "dreadfull" Dunlop too.. (awkward braking!!)
Thanks Antonio - I will do some VERY careful measuring before I buy anything!

I'm inclined to agree with the restoration view unless starting with something that's already very unoriginal (or rusty). Period tweaks that can be bolted on (and taken off) appeal, but I couldn't see myself cutting GTA cooling slots in a nice rust-free front valence!

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
You will be doing well to find a nice rust free front valance on a stored car these days!!! :eek:

Wait till I have finished my GTA Replica - and you guys in England get to see it (the rest of the world will have to make do with some photos!!!) and tell me then that you would have made it into anything else!!! ;)

The other problem with cars like that green one is that you would have to re trim the interior - although the products available are very good, they are not original. The same for anything else that has to be replaced and detracts from the appeal of the car. It can look perfect with new parts on it and look like a mint Sprint GT, but it won't be a very original car, all detracting from the car, i think?! :confused:

What do you think?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Max Banks said:
The other problem with cars like that green one is that you would have to re trim the interior - although the products available are very good, they are not original.
What do you think?
Well Max, in Italy is still possible to find somewhere the original "Texalfa" fabric or the correct leather/fake leather (called "skai" or "leatherette", I think); about the interior, the only one problem is to find the original upper part of the dash, usually cracked by the sun. All the rest is perfectly (and originally) restorable. As everywhere, it's only a money problem... :D
ciao

PS, so, don't you want to buy my car? :D ;) :D

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Max Banks said:
Hi Max, I tend to see your side of this debate and in fact have a 1966 Sprint GT club racer shell that has been well shunted over its life and currently wears an awful set of bondo flares. I hope one day to partially GTA replicate it.

I am very interested in hearing more of your project. I also wonder if you (or any one else) might have dimensions for the aluminum oil recovery box the GTAs (corsa)had on the left side of their engine bays?

Regards

Ken Geiger
Toronto

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You ahve certainly got my Dad salivating! Maybe next time I am in Italy buying cars (in the next few months) I will let you know and we can meet up, maybe you know of some other cars worth buying as well?

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
kengta said:
I am very interested in hearing more of your project. I also wonder if you (or any one else) might have dimensions for the aluminum oil recovery box the GTAs (corsa)had on the left side of their engine bays?
Ken I don't know of the dimensions for the oil catch tank, but I will open up the top of my dad's head when he is asleep (he sleeps heavy - every evening in front of the TV - (like most Dad's probably!)) and search through the masses of knowledge and spurious fact info (its a disorganised mess in there - he tells me it happens with age!) and see if I can find an answer then sow his head back togther! - will let you know (sorry for the poor humour- its late in the UK!)

You can keep up to date on my car on our website (at bottom of post) under the our cars section. I will be adding a new stage soon as I have plumbed in the aluminium fuel tank and fitted the racing battery in the boot etc. Have ordered all the leather for my seats so that will go on in the next month too... all very exicting... gets me day dreaming as i lie in bed rather than sleeping for many hrs!!! :D

·
Registered
11,643 Posts
Max Banks said:
You will be doing well to find a nice rust free front valance on a stored car these days!!! :eek:

Wait till I have finished my GTA Replica - and you guys in England get to see it (the rest of the world will have to make do with some photos!!!) and tell me then that you would have made it into anything else!!! ;)

The other problem with cars like that green one is that you would have to re trim the interior - although the products available are very good, they are not original. The same for anything else that has to be replaced and detracts from the appeal of the car. It can look perfect with new parts on it and look like a mint Sprint GT, but it won't be a very original car, all detracting from the car, i think?! :confused:

What do you think?
I don't get upset if a bolt is replaced during the restoration process. Trim is no different. As long as it is 100% to the original specification then that is fine.

Cars are objects that require maintenance, if you get upset about a car having new parts on it ... then what about the oil filter, engine oil itself, brake pads, etc.

If a part wears out it should simply be replaced with the correct replacement part ... that is called maintenance. Trim wears too ;)

Pete

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
PSk said:
I don't get upset if a bolt is replaced during the restoration process. Trim is no different. As long as it is 100% to the original specification then that is fine.

Cars are objects that require maintenance, if you get upset about a car having new parts on it ... then what about the oil filter, engine oil itself, brake pads, etc.

If a part wears out it should simply be replaced with the correct replacement part ... that is called maintenance. Trim wears too ;)

Pete
Its a personal thing, but a car with lots of replaced parts will never have the patina of a fully original car! If it is worn out then it does have to be replaced sure, but lets get back to the original point of this post - that green Sprint GT!! Personal opinion but I would have turned it into a GTA Replica as it was a bit of a mess and would have ended up more valuable as one! p.s. no need to be facetious about the service items!
:eek:

·
Registered
11,643 Posts
Max Banks said:
Its a personal thing, but a car with lots of replaced parts will never have the patina of a fully original car! If it is worn out then it does have to be replaced sure, but lets get back to the original point of this post - that green Sprint GT!! Personal opinion but I would have turned it into a GTA Replica as it was a bit of a mess and would have ended up more valuable as one! p.s. no need to be facetious about the service items!
:eek:
Fair enough ... and like you say a very personal thing.

With my car I am restoring it to as it should have left the factory ... I'll re-add the patina over time ;) Naturally where possible I will reuse the original components ...

Pete

1 - 20 of 20 Posts