Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well it was a banner day today. I was finally able to commit some time to take care of all of the maintenance things I've been putting off. I performed an oil change first and filled her with 7 quarts of Castol GTX 20-50 and gave her a new Purolator Pure One filter. I then pulled out my new Motive power Bleeder and bled all of my brake lines. That thing is great and I would highly reccomend it to anyone. I couldnt believe how dark the fluid was down by the calipers. My emergency brake hasn't been holding very well for probably the last 15 years so, following the advice i read in one of the threads, I tightened up the star thinga-majiggies in the rear drums and I can lock the back wheels up nicely with the hand brake now. And finally, since my spider is an '85, my speedometer has been bouncing around for years and was reading high by approximately 35 mph. First off, i yanked out the troublesome oxygen sensor cable connector box and sent it to the trash can. I then installed an earlier model single piece speedo cable (thanks to a suggestion in one of the threads on this Board). It was a hell of a time getting it through that rubber grommet on the firewall!!!. Next i took my speedometer out and disassembeld it. I popped of the indicator needle it was sitting at 38 mph when stationary). and reinstalled it down by the stop pin that is pressed into the speedo face at approx 5 mph. I reinstalled everything and took it out for a spin. My speedo needle is now rock steady and in 5th gear at 2800 rpm it reads about 64 mph. Not too bad, i'll take it being 4 mph high any day of the week over being 35 mph high. Its a lot easier for me to do the math when subtracting 4 mph instead of 35 mph.

I wanted to thank everyone who posts to this board. It is a great resource for the weekend mechanic who wants to work on their own car. Heck, I can tell you from experience, its not easy to find a mechanic who is willing or even wants to work on your car. They all seem to want to churn brake jobs for the easy buck. And the ones I have found, were hacks. The guy who replaced my clutch stripped out my flywheel indicator sensor and stuck the original bolt back in with a bunch of teflon tape wrapped around the bolt. that lasted about a month before stranding me in a parking lot when it finally fell out.

Thanks again!!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts