Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Just picked up a set of "S" meat slicer wheels that I plan to put on my '95 LS. (I really dislike the styling of the LS wheels). Got them on the bb here:
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alfa-romeo-parts-sale-wanted/182943-164s-rims.html

Good news is that wheels are in very nice shape. The bad news is that while the ad indicated 4 Goodyear Aquatreds with 95% tread life, it was not until I got home that I realized two of them are actually "Grand Spirit Aquaflows".

I have NEVER heard of these, although I think they are made by Cordovan. Any one have any info? Are they any good or total junk? I hate having two brands of tires on any of my cars but they do look to be in good condition. Unless they are awful, I am thinking I should just use them up and then switch the Pirellis over from my LS wheels.

·
Premium Member
9,887 Posts
Hi All,

Just picked up a set of "S" meat slicer wheels that I plan to put on my '95 LS. (I really dislike the styling of the LS wheels). Got them on the bb here:
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alfa-romeo-parts-sale-wanted/182943-164s-rims.html

Good news is that wheels are in very nice shape. The bad news is that while the ad indicated 4 Goodyear Aquatreds with 95% tread life, it was not until I got home that I realized two of them are actually "Grand Spirit Aquaflows".

I have NEVER heard of these, although I think they are made by Cordovan. Any one have any info? Are they any good or total junk? I hate having two brands of tires on any of my cars but they do look to be in good condition. Unless they are awful, I am thinking I should just use them up and then switch the Pirellis over from my LS wheels.
They are made by Cooper

·
Premium Member
6,642 Posts
Use em!

I would certainly use them!

I love the look of the LS wheels but DESPISE having to keep them clean-- thats why I went for borbets -- look good and easy to keep clean!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. Good to know they are at least decent. I only wish all 4 were the same.

At some point I will probably refinish the LS wheels. I may like them better then. Not sure if I am better off chemically stripping them or bead blasting?

·
2015 Chevy (Holden) SS, 1989 Milano (Shankle Sport), 1991 164S
17,378 Posts
I also went with Borbets (16 inch) on both my 164s, as they are much easier to clean, one of my least fav chores with the cars.

As for the tires, remember that generally you get what you pay for. Retail prices for different tires will give you a clue as to how much engineering has gone into them. Has been my experience. One thing to consider is that you do drive an Alfa. What kind of tire do you think the car should really have?

Whether or not they will suit you depends on how and where you drive the car. All season type tires won't offer the dry and damp pavement performance compared to the performance tires designed for such roads/driving. Where they will be satisfactory is those occasions where there is definitely standing water on the road (depending on where you live) something the performance tires won't be happy with. Not much of a problem in the Seattle area, for instance.

Still, they will be better than some el cheapo rags you see on some cars. You might consider buying performance tires for the S wheels, and leave the lousy weather tires on the LS wheels for that time of the year.

·
1991 164L
27,876 Posts
My son used 215-60-15 Falken directional tires on his 164S and 164L using 164S wheels on both.

For the price and for the performance/wear/ they maybe the best choice now with even 16" performance tires options drying up.

·
2015 Chevy (Holden) SS, 1989 Milano (Shankle Sport), 1991 164S
17,378 Posts
Yes, manufacturers are abandoning small sized performance tires. Even the demo 159 Sport Wagon I drove in Oslo, Norway had factory 19 inch as I remember.

I use Goodyear GS-D3 16 inch tires on both the 164s. Still available and a very decent tire as far as I can tell. They work very well in dry and damp roads as a performance tire, and yet have F1 type rain grooves to help drain standing water.

·
Premium Member
2020 Giulia TI Q4
791 Posts
Put the Cordovans on the front, Tire mfrs now recommend that if only 2 tires replaced, new (better) ones should go on rear. This is reverse of what has been done for years, but the idea is not to lose control of the rear because its easier to correct sliding front tires. The Cordovans probly won't last as long as the Goodyears; then you can replace either 2 or all 4 with your choice of tire.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts