Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a '74 GTV 2000, which is in good shape, considering. I am going to go all the way with this car eventually, but in the meantime, I am going to do some little things to get her feeling a little more roadworthy. Popped the steering wheel off and am in the process of re-finishing it...

Here is the before:

Removing the old finish was challenging, as it is pretty resistant to stripper, etc... I ended up hand sanding most of it... Here it is as of this morning:

Still have a little detail work to do, but I should get a coat of finish on it later today... I went with Epiphanes Extra UV-Filter High Gloss Clear Varnish. It is marine grade, and gives a nice lustrous finish. I am going to likely put about 6 coats on and sand and polish between coats... Stay tuned!

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Looks great so far! Keep in mind that the finish has faded from its original color. This goes for your dash veneer as well. The original finish was a deep rich rosewood if you wish to replicate it. You may be able to find a section of unfaded wood veneer underneath the Instrument cluster, gear shift surround or heater control fascia if you want a reference.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I ordered a veneer set from Centerline. (Not that I am going to install it yet... I think a new dash will come first...) I am going to let the wheel be natural. It is a nice wood. In fact, my first coat is on. ;)

Here it is now:

Only 5 more coats to go... :)

·
Premium Member
1978 Spider
478 Posts
Nice. Bit of work, but in the end it's worth it. I just finished a Hellebore wheel I got on the BB for my Spider, now just finishing up on the original Personal wheel.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
One of the ways to keep that newly finished wheel perfect is to remove your rings before you drive. Many wood wheels are deteriorated at the 9-10 and 2-3 o'clock positions from ring damage. I take mine off and hang it on one of the center console switches when I drive.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One of the ways to keep that newly finished wheel perfect is to remove your rings before you drive. Many wood wheels are deteriorated at the 9-10 and 2-3 o'clock positions from ring damage. I take mine off and hang it on one of the center console switches when I drive.
No rings here. :) Not yet at least.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts