Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed the ol' girl sounding a bit throaty at the end of driving season last year. Started her up last week when the weather was nice and took a look underneath to discover a hole in the exhaust! The hole is coming from the anterior portion of the exhaust. The wrapping is all blown out and I'm wondering if re-wrapping is an option or should I just buy a new exhaust pipe from Centerline? The next question would be is how easy is this portion to replace? Would I need to drive this over to Pete's Custom Coachbuilding for replacement or can I handle this on my own? Thanks everyone. Hope you all had a great Easter.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Len,
Are you on the east side? K.E.I. In Chagrin can deal with it for you too. Kevin helped me with mine last summer at my storage barn. I’m about 6 minutes from Pete’s, none better, but I just installed a rear exhaust last fall myself on my 101 Spider from Centerline. Pretty easy, simple job, but obviously much easier for someone with a lift.

I found I had issues with the hanger mounts on the rearmost muffler lining up with the chassis locations. Mine needs to be cut on the new muffler and re-welded a few inches back. There was a recent discussion here about it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Len,
Are you on the east side? K.E.I. In Chagrin can deal with it for you too. Kevin helped me with mine last summer at my storage barn. I’m about 6 minutes from Pete’s, none better, but I just installed a rear exhaust last fall myself on my 101 Spider from Centerline. Pretty easy, simple job, but obviously much easier for someone with a lift.

I found I had issues with the hanger mounts on the rearmost muffler lining up with the chassis locations. Mine needs to be cut on the new muffler and re-welded a few inches back. There was a recent discussion here about it.
Yeah, I saw that discussion too. I'm gonna try and find it.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good to know of other places that can help with the Alfa. I was going to visit Pete this week sometime as I'm off on Spring Break with the kids. A lift would be very helpful in this case. I have to evaluate that pipe and see what section I need to order. I know it's in the anterior part ahead of a junction so maybe I'll get lucky where I won't need anything welded together?

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Replying to myself...I just evaluated the situation and that hole is coming from the headers. I will need to order a new set from somewhere. Those are original 60+ year old headers I remember dragging out of a barn. They weren't in the greatest condition to begin with, but still lasted 8 years.

Centerline has headers but will need their conversion parts and welding in order to get them to work.

Mr. Fiat has headers that appear similar to original dimensions that may be plug-and-play.

Anybody have experience with either of these? Preferences? Comments? Other suggestions? Thanks.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Is this for your Normale or Veloce? I have had a set of 101 Giulietta two-piece headers gas welded that had small holes off of St. Clair downtown, if you want to save yours. Of course, if you want pretty new ones I can't blame you. No experience with proper-fitting new ones, sorry. Hopefully someone will chime in if we know for which car.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hope you have luck finding a new header. I guess then a question is do you really want to wrap it? Opinions do vary but personally I buy the argument that encouraging more heat that necessary will make the pipes more brittle than they need to be. Are you concerned about engine bay heat?

·
Administrator
4,144 Posts
Len wrapping the headers is a major cause of rotting them out, rather leave them plain or better still have them jet-hot coated

Aye
Greig

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The headers were wrapped because they were compromised. Like I stated earlier, they were found in a barn in Alliance, OH and weren't in the greatest of shape. I had 2 sets of headers and used the better ones (the ones with the least amount of holes). I want to "Pull the trigger" on purchasing the headers from Mr. Fiat but don't know if those will work with my Veloce? I spoke with Pete and he said that mine can be repaired and anything I purchase will not be the same as the originals. He's right about that. But, it's tempting for me to purchase a repro pair and have them heat treated like Greig suggested. That's exactly what I was thinking of doing.

·
Administrator
4,144 Posts
Good 1300 Veloce headers pop up every now and again, my call would be to patch repair what you have and put a Wanted ad in the classifieds

Ciao
Greig

1 - 11 of 11 Posts