Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Got the ol' 164 back on the road.....

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  gt601 
#1 ·
I finally got my S put back together and drove her for the first time in four months:eek:
It all started with an oil leak...................

Pulled the heads and in the process accidentally pulled the shaft from the oil pump:mad:( read the instructions before not after:eek:)
Cams were completely worn out:mad: (Had Delta Cams redo them:D)
Needed ALL valve guides:mad: (Had to get a guy make an over-oversized guide:mad:)
Replaced broken oil pump with engine in car:mad:
Installed re-done heads:mad:
Will never do it on this car again:mad:(while I was working on it)

Finished last night at the shop and drove her home:cool:

Would do it all over again;)

I'm in love with that stupid car again......

After 5 years I have finally spent $2500.00 on the car including the purchase.

Paul

See less See more
#2 ·
.......and it sounded pretty good too!!! :D

Thanks for the hose, I'm having my parts guy call the supplier on Monday for the rest of the parts so mine should on the road by next weekend!?:rolleyes:

#3 · (Edited)
Right there with you. One problem escalated into problem after problem after problem. I have been not driving this thing for the past 8 months, well off and on.
Basically the whole car is new except for a complete rebuild which is due this summer.
I am talking new...new nuts, bolts washers, bushings, bearings, strut gear(boots, bumps, pads, bearings), suspension arms, , new rotors, calipers, pins and boots, pads, fluid, CV joints, complete exhaust with remus end silencer, new paint. Now a few days ago I was done. Drover her off and boom. She ran rough. I knew right away that the timing was off. Slipped 1.5 teeth, so I pulled it all and found the spring had broke. No bent valves. Put a new one on with new belt and drove off. Once again bad running. check the timing, spot on. Looked at the tensioner and the pointer was way low, so I re-tensioned it and noticed the stud was missing some threads, sheared right off and the tensioner slipped. So I pulled the tie down stud and replaced with a new one. I am finally back on the road and pray that nothing else goes wrong as this is the time of year for driving here in the Southwest! This is our summer.

So I am right there with you. Glad you and I both are back. I love to hate that car. But when I am driving it all the headache it gives me is all gone. All I look like is: :D

BTW not to make this post about me, Glad you got it back on the road!!! Well done son!!

Ciao!

#4 ·
Thanks for the hose,
Uhhh Mark???

That didn't sound too good:confused:
Thanks for the flaps! Cleaned them up and they are SWEET!:cool:

Thanks for the props Jason. I've been planning on calling you soon on a condenser and some other bit and pieces for the S. I'll probably see how she does through the winter and then do some upgrades and work in the spring.
Heading to the shop now to put the new/used Ebay center exhaust on.

Paul

#5 ·
Not to hijack my own thread but can you get a hold of the H-4 euro headlamps for the 164? (not the projector lamps)

Paul

#7 · (Edited)
Of course! Although they are not much better than what you have now and cost as much as the projection units, close enough. Although and H4 bulb is a great bulb the lamp is still not the greatest. Pretty good though compared. Sure you don't just want the projectors? Much better performance and looks. Giving it a more modern look.

Let me know?
ciao!
Jason

#8 ·
I'll let you know if and when I get my Christmas bonus and I find out how much carpet will be for the house.

Paul

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.