Alfa Romeo Forums banner
61 - 80 of 120 Posts

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 · (Edited)
Ok, back to the Nuova...

Not too much time tonight and a bit of A.D.D. so not too much actual progress though something interesting happened. When I first clicked the lights on, the passenger side light wasn’t even on. I don’t remember it being that way when I first wired it up, but regardless now it was off. Still no blinkers, anywhere.

So I swapped out the two wires on the driverside that are run to the blinkers and running lights and then clicked the lights on. Now the passenger side light was on. Still no blinkers though. I have an idea but this will be something to deal with later. At this point, I was content and I didn’t want to deal with it now haha

I had a few other things I wanted to play with so I moved on. Cleaned up the oil pan guard to see it’s mounting and was thinking about putting it on, but I think I’ll install that will all the new front end parts when I get there.

The next thing I played with was some of the extras in the trunk. Looks like Mr.C had also installed these aux/ rally lights and I think I found the wiring to them.

I have a few questions though;

First: What is this bad boy?

Next: Were these supposed to both be totally yellow and one has faded more than the other? Should I get some yellow LaminX?

Finally: Are these supposed to turn on with the headlights, or have a switch of their own?

Oh yea, does anyone have a list of the fuses (and what amp) that are supposed to be in the fuse box? Mine are all white and that cannot be correct!

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
I have a few questions though;

First: What is this bad boy?

Next: Were these supposed to both be totally yellow and one has faded more than the other? Should I get some yellow LaminX?

Finally: Are these supposed to turn on with the headlights, or have a switch of their own?

Oh yea, does anyone have a list of the fuses (and what amp) that are supposed to be in the fuse box? Mine are all white and that cannot be correct!
Still hoping for these answers but now I’m having an embarrassing issue where I cannot get the front seat out. Front Allen’s are easy enough when you slide the seat back, but I cannot slide it forward far enough to access the rear two Allen’s. Do I just need to try and muscle it? I thought there might be a stopper but I haven’t found anything that’s preventing it from sliding forward.

Almost seems that the seat must be separated from the rails, but that’s excessively complicated to remove a seat and it’s not totally clear how (if at all) these studs and their couplers are separated from one another.

Best pics I could get are below.

Thanks and Happy 4th of July to my American Alfisti

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
Hey Simon,

Sorry not to respond earlier. I think the wiring on your Nuova and my 1300 Super may be different enough that I can't offer anything too concrete.

I'm guessing that thingie on the firewall is a relay for the aux/driving lights, probably installed after manufacture. The wiring looks newer than its neighbors, and Marchall is a lighting supplier who did a lot of aftermarket stuff. My guess is they're wired to come on with the high beams, but maybe someone installed a separate switch, or maybe a Nuova has a separate fog/driving light switch?

If you have the open ceramic fuses with the exposed metal elements, then its normal that they're all the same color. The ones on my car are all black, except for one brown one. But the widths of the metal strips vary with the fuse amperage. I think the amperage is stamped in the ceramic, on the back of the fuse.

Right up there with a multimeter, an accurate wiring diagram for your car is your friend. Maybe search around on the BB or post a "Wanted" for a copy of the model-specific owners manual, or just the wiring diagram. At one time a BBer named PapaJam compiled an archive of wiring diagrams, but he has since passed away, and I don't know if it's still possible to get hold of those diagrams. Others will surely know.

And it's been about four decades since I took the seats out of a '67 Super, so I'm pretty useless there too.

Good luck.

Logan

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Thanks @lpalmer . The aux lights are lower on the list of things to do. I managed to get the front seat out and just as expected I just needed to slide it up more. It wasn’t working from the driver seat so I rigged up the handle to be out/loose and got in the back seat and pushed it forward and boom, there they were.

I’ll have an update on the front seat swap, it’s not quite where I want it yet. I’m also annoyed because I scratched the door putting the “new” seat in. Obviously a “race bucket” is going to sit quite low when there’s no rails or anything so we’ll see if it stays...

More importantly, my Alfaholics suspension should be arriving tomorrow and I’m eager to get cracking on it.

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
More importantly, my Alfaholics suspension should be arriving tomorrow and I’m eager to get cracking on it.
Famous last words... seat still isnt where I want it but its close. Hoping to have that wrapped up soon so I can move on to the next project since they are supposed to finally arrive today.

Kinda annoyed about it all. I placed a large order with Alfaholics the week after I paid for my Giulia (Early June), but one item was on back-order so we decided to wait a little because it was due mid-June and I hadnt even gotten my car yet. On June 28th, I told them to go ahead and send it without the Aluminum quick-steering arms and since it was ready to go it went out right away. I took a week off in the beginning of July (5th wedding anniversary and 40th birthday 10 days later so it sounded like a good idea) However its been sitting in Customs since the 30th. Meanwhile, on July 5th I get a notice that the arms have arrived and they get shipped out Monday, and I have them in my hands on Wednesday...

The other parts are set to arrive today, my first day back to work... oye....

In other news, I had no plans to buy these wheels, but when I went to go buy a grab bag of random parts from Ric, he mentioned he also had some panasports... well...

I have no plans to take the SZ (or are they TZ?) Replica wheels off, but the plan is to use the panasports as my "track" wheels. The tires are old so I have to get new tires also before they can be used. Goal is to have the suspension on and new tires on these wheels by September for the Alfa Club (AROSC) Driving School in September. I think Im officially in their intermediate group, amybe someday they will give me a license. Ive done quite a few days with them, but its spread out over a several years so who knows haha

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
Wow, bummer that the parts didn't show up during your vacation. I've had a few glitches at both sides of the pond but never that long. Good luck and have fun with the new toys.

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Yeah its a bummer, but life goes on. Plan is to get the rear suspension done, then move on to the front, The front will be a lot of work, but it should feel a LOT tighter once thats done. I'll have Dorian of DV Mechanics give it a final once-over and an alignment when I finish all the work

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Sounds like a good plan. Keep posting progress!
Well, good news and bad news...

Good!

Bad!

In case you cant tell, one is the Ultra Leggera version and the other is the "regular" leggera version. They also forgot my lightweight front spring pans... but at least most of the stuff is here.

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
Clearly you'll have a distinct right-side (or left-side) unsprung weight bias. Likely will cost seconds per lap. :)

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 · (Edited)
In case you were wondering why I wanted to take the seat out. The stock Nuova seat was nowhere up to the task of my driving demands and I’ve had this Beard Racing seat for a long time.

Long story short, it’s in there now and after another run up to Newcombs Ranch, it’s a huge improvement.

The final version of the new seat mounts

I’ve been called a weight weenie, I don’t mind. I’ve been called worse.

I also made a little video with some more details and videos, and it’s actually the third episode in my “Nuova Project” playlist haha

Feel free to follow if that’s what you’re into, or follow me on Instagram @tuman_show however you won’t miss anything as this is the home for everything on this car and it’s build...

Oh, I finally got a GoPro.So that’s cool. This is a screenshot, no driving videos yet

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
Tip of the iceberg.
Time for more tools.
Time to start a swear jar.

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
Nice job on the seat mounts. Looks like you've already got the welder, angle grinder, and jack stands, so maybe just need the cuss box for the rust repair. There's a lot of info on the BB. Will certainly be following if you decide to take that on.

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
Nice job on the seat mounts. Looks like you've already got the welder, angle grinder, and jack stands, so maybe just need the cuss box for the rust repair. There's a lot of info on the BB. Will certainly be following if you decide to take that on.
Thanks, wasnt sure if the guys here would appreciate such a deviation from OEM stuff, but I like the connection to these seats.

Definitely need a swear jar LOL

I plan to start with the driverside rear corner as its not structural and we'll see if Im really up to the task. If I manage to get it done myself, then my "rocker repair" fund money can go into the "engine swap" fund which will be quite nice!

We'll see, for now I need to get the suspension done. This distracted me from the task I just started.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I would remove the tank to work more comfortably and safely.

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
I would remove the tank to work more comfortably and safely.
I'll probably do that when I work on the rust, but right now Im just working on changing the old suspension out for my Alfaholics stuff

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 · (Edited)
Well, progress has been slow, but Im plugging away.

Step 1 was getting the bushings pressed into the trailing arms. I took them over to DV Mechanics to do it. Im sure anyone couldve done it, but I only want their hands on the car besides me, so this was worth the drive.

With those in hand, I was ready to tackle the removal. Driverside had the fun surprise (see previous posts), but ignoring that I continued on and soon was looking at this. Quite a nice change. I weighed both setups, but I will post all the weight savings in its own post once its all done.

Sadly the passenger side seemed to also move smooth, until the rear trailing arm bolt wouldnt come out. The bolt was frozen to the bushing... repeated heating and hammering only frustrated me and I ended up mushrooming the threaded area. ****

With a 'new' bolt en route (Thanks Andrew!), I busted out the cutting wheels and went to town. It was slow going because the best tool wouldve been a sawzall, which of course I dont have. My trusty Ryobi cutting wheel also died mid cut which slowed me down even more. Borrowed a tool from a friend which also couldnt cut it... :sneaky:

In the end, the Dremel and the mini metal cut off wheels did most of the heavy lifting and now I can continue.

The carnage...

The other side:

With that, I took this pic and called it a day

The T-bar is already out and the Aluminum one is ready to go in too, so hopefully a few more hours and I will be done.

Any tips on getting the bar properly aligned? The shims that fell out with the old bar are actually different thicknesses from each other and also different than the ones that Alfaholics included. I didnt notice the thickness variances until later and Im not sure which side had the slightly thicker one on.

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
There's a lot to be said for a hydraulic press and the right tooling, versus my method of using all-thread, big sockets, and a sledge hammer . . .

But I don't fully get how you resolved the bolt frozen in the bushing -- did you cut off the head of the bolt as well, and then spread the axle flanges enough to get the end of the trailing arm out? In any case, good progress.

61 - 80 of 120 Posts