Alfa Romeo Forums banner
41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,432 Posts
You have a test light? Make sure the light is properly grounded to the body, turn on the turn signal or running light, put the test light probe into the socket base, center 12V+ part. Get a light? If so the circuit and socket is good. No light? Something not good.

Odds are strongly, ground connections. Can be through the various different parts of the light unit itself. Corrosion, things not tight, things taken apart and not put back together right, paint on the body, etc.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
One simple thing you could try -- swap the connections for the parking lights and turn indicators where they plug into the car wiring harness. Does the problem persist, or do the blinkers now work and the parking lights don't? If the problem does move, then it's most likely in the blinker bulbs, sockets, or connections to the sockets. If not, then maybe it is the ground wire. You could verify by using some kind of test lead from the ground post in the light unit to chassis. Even a battery jumper cable if you have nothing else.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Those are all great suggestions I can try out. I'll give it a shot tonight (hopefully) and report back

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
For multimeters, I like Fluke but they're pricy, starting around $150. Like any other tool, you kind of get what you pay for. A low-end meter from a good supplier is a good way to go, IMO. For a car all you really need are DC volts and resistance, though DC amps is nice to have (and can also get you into trouble, since it presents basically a short to the circuit under test.) There also are automotive-specific meters that measure dwell and RPM as well, but I don't have any real recommendations there. Snap-on is the gold standard, but expensive. I have an ancient "Sunpro" analog automotive meter that someone left in the alley to get rid of, which works fine, but I find the digital Fluke generally easier to use.

·
Registered
485 Posts
hey Simon, where in southern cal are you located? just curious.

@lpalmer this was the car back a couple years ago I was talking about buying. probably should have!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
hey Simon, where in southern cal are you located? just curious.

@lpalmer this was the car back a couple years ago I was talking about buying. probably should have!
It was on my radar too a few years back before John bought it. Lets see who still has buyers remorse when I start dealing with the rocker rust! haha

Im in Inglewood 90302, you?

·
Registered
485 Posts
It was on my radar too a few years back before John bought it. Lets see who still has buyers remorse when I start dealing with the rocker rust! haha

Im in Inglewood 90302, you?
Ha, cool, I'm in OC - newport. Would be up for a meetup or drive sometime. If I'd know the previous owner would have stored it or it was a available again after some love, I'd have moved on it. Logan has a very nice 1300 not too far from you as well. I'd just drive the heck out of it and monitor the rockers for now -- its not going to be a small job. :)

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
haha Yea thats why serious money was spent on Alfaholics suspension now and will slowly deplete the rust-repair fund quietly ... just like the rust eating away at the rocker

PS Added you on IG also

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
I'm in Santa Monica, and yes, it would be good to meet up at some point. I've also posted an announcement for this year's SoCal TT in the "Car Events" forum, if that's of interest.

Logan

·
Premium Member
23,432 Posts
I get to Santa Monica regularly; it's where my wife is from (Ocean Park). We can all have a meetup, next trip down.
Andrew

·
Registered
485 Posts
I get to Santa Monica regularly; it's where my wife is from (Ocean Park). We can all have a meetup, next trip down.
Andrew
That would be great - I've certainly picked yoru brain on Alfas over the last couple years, so it would be nice to return the favor with a libation of your choice if you have time.

@lpalmer Are you going on the 3-dayer? I can't make this one.

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
@peakay -- Yes, I'm planning to do the three days. I'm hoping a friend from Santa Barbara will be able to ride with me on the Santa Maria loop day. Now I have a deadline to finish some of the things on the car's to-do list . . .

·
Registered
looking for a Giulia Super
15 Posts
funny. I'm in newport beach as well. If you guys get together in Santa Monica, I'd love to tag along. No Alfa yet, so I'll bring something else italian...

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Fingers crossed you’ll have an Alfa by then but I’m sure you already have something we’d appreciate haha

·
Premium Member
23,432 Posts
Will probably be in SM mid/late August, will follow up. Strong odds are we'll be in the Bavarian Rocketship, not in the Milan Machine.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
23,432 Posts
You betcha. E90 M3 6-speed. If we were trying for a speed record, this would be the vehicle for it. I do what I can on this car, some of it is over my head, though that doesn't stop me trying (in the first month of ownership I did both throttle actutators, oh boy). Just had it aligned, new motor mounts (requires dropping front suspension). We're on good terms with our BMW shop, the owner of which has a GTV I have helped him restore, so while this car is expensive to own, they do throw us some price breaks. Very good shop.
Andrew

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
You betcha. E90 M3 6-speed. If we were trying for a speed record, this would be the vehicle for it. I do what I can on this car, some of it is over my head, though that doesn't stop me trying (in the first month of ownership I did both throttle actutators, oh boy). Just had it aligned, new motor mounts (requires dropping front suspension). We're on good terms with our BMW shop, the owner of which has a GTV I have helped him restore, so while this car is expensive to own, they do throw us some price breaks. Very good shop.
Andrew
The Rod Bearings are a known issue on those, hopefully those are done. Not a job I would want to do myself

41 - 60 of 77 Posts