Alfa Romeo Forums banner
21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
So glad you made it and very glad to see the car on the road instead of just languishing in my driveway! Andrew deserves the credit for actually making it run right - I just tried to make sure I didn't mess anything up too badly. Yeah, the bumper was definitely in there when I picked it up in Sacramento a year ago (likely in there for a while before that too), and it hasn't budged since. Have a look in the trunk for the rest of the bumper mounting hardware.

The hand throttle and choke are not connected. I didn't really need either, and wasn't up for the challenge of getting sorted out. You likely won't need the choke since it never gets too cold in LA, but all the parts should be there to reconnect if you want to. When you look at the carbs, the thin cable that runs right at the back next to the intake is the cable that engages the choke. You'll see that the cable runs from the back of the rear carb and disappears into the firewall and, when actually done right, is connected to the left pull under the key. The hand throttle (aka "He-Man Cruise Control" as a chain-smoking mechanic with a strong German accent in SF called it) is a device that depresses the accelerator and can be locked in position by turning to the right. I guess it could be used to keep idle high to warm the engine on a cold day, but I've never really used in my Berlina, which has the same one.

Great to see the car in action and I'm looking forward to seeing it only get better as you go along.

John

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
That hand-throttle wouldve been nice on the drive, my left leg was killing me being locked into the same position for so long! haha

I glanced in the trunk when I put the goodies I bought off Andrew. I'll be excited to see what goodies are hiding in the trunk

·
Premium Member
23,432 Posts
From my having driven it, no choke needed in coastal Calif. If you going skiing in Big Bear? Maybe. Normally, two/three prods on the gas and it'll start.
My Giulietta Veloce with Webers today started with no choke and no gas. Folks who dis Alfas didn't have them serviced properly.
Andrew

·
Registered
87 Posts
Small world. Started with a Datsun Roadster. Restored before eventual sale (w/ Mike Young comp springs). Very fun car, but always felt it wasn't quite exactly right for me.

Actually, P-car 993 before the Roadser (never selling btw).

Then Dat 510 vintage race car. Good times.

Eventually became intrigued w/ AR. Acquired a Berlina in good shape but with some needs. Passed to new home some years later. 510 race car sold to enthusiast in Belgium.

Finally, perfect Giulia Super hot rod from The Netherlands landed.

Garage holds just two favs now: white 993 hot rod and white Giulia Super hot rod.

Enjoy it. You're on the right path.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Garage holds just two favs now: white 993 hot rod and white Giulia Super hot rod.

Enjoy it. You're on the right path.
Thanks. Feel free so share a pic of that amazing two car garage!

Today there was a Fancy car parade in Beverly Hills and I took my Dad and my brother in the Giulia. Saw a Ferrari 250 GTO, Maserati Birdcage and plenty others. Cleaned up the car a little in anticipation of it getting some attention.

Later in the day I used my “it’s Fathers Day and I can do whatever I want” card to go play in the garage for a little. Slowly, I’m starting to make the changes I want to do. High on the list is to finish the back-date up front and Andrew provided me with some used early style Altissimo bumper lights. Not “plug-n-play” and I had to cut and drill into the front valence but it was definitely worth it. Still have the other side to do, but since I only have one gasket/ boot, I haven’t started the other side yet. Hoping to get another gasket and finish it up this week.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Looks way better.
Andrew
I agree, I dont think the alignment is 100% correct, but it covers the older holes and would only be caught by a Concours Judge... however they might've already had an aneurism by all the other errors haha

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Bring on the compliments. This was the first mod I wanted to do and boy oh boy am I glad it was at the top of my list. Looks fantastic and it’s a solid 5-10 footer right now. Once my fresh pair of gaskets arrive and the wiring is done then it will be done... and then it will be on to the next item on my checklist.

·
Premium Member
23,432 Posts
I always thought those looked like some kind of retracto-lights. Push in and they pop out and turn on, push in again and they turn off and retract. Like the 4-way flasher switch on 70s GTVs and Berlinas.
Andrew

·
Registered
485 Posts
Hi there, I'm very glad to see this car was picked up and being enjoyed. I was considering the same but things never aligned for it. Subscribing and will watch!

Reactions: 2mAn

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Thanks guys, this basically completes the back-date up front so Im quite happy with the end result.

One thing that I noticed is that they didnt remove the front signals when it was resprayed, but at least it does appear that this color is basically the original because the paint underneath is almost a perfect match.

I was curious about the color so someone directed me to the trunk for the color tag, and this one doesnt appear to be an original Alfa Romeo color sticker. Im thinking this car had a full re-spray while still in Italy, what do you think?

I used Google Translate and it comes out to "paint retouching must be done with enamel at 80* C" Looks like Sikkens is a large paint company also, so Im guessing the 327 is their own Blue color. Anyone have experience with this?

·
Premium Member
23,432 Posts
No, I think orig. Sikkens was one of several paint vendors

From the late great John Hertzman: AR-327 (AR 506) Bluette- Petrol Blue (Ditzler 12955, DuPont 8773)
Andrew

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 · (Edited)
Friday was an easy day at work so I snuck out early to see how the Giulia does on a drive up to Newcombs Ranch, all the way up Angeles Crest Highway. Lotsa body roll and lotsa leaning in the seat, but she made it. Can’t wait for the Alfaholics Suspension !...

Was chasing my buddy in his 914 with a 2.7 flat 6 swap. Needless to say, this car was flat and cruising at 5/10 while I was hustling to keep up with it haha

Dorian of DV Mechanics was there with this amazing sounding Sprint along with a lovely lady who was driving the GTV.

I call this the Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Was a nice view on the way back down, best pic I could get while cruising back down the mountain

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Hey everyone, just a quick wiring question Im hoping you can all help me work out. I did my best to emulate the OEM wiring that the car had up front, and this was the hacked up stuff that came out...

Seems straight forward right?

The running light works on both sides, but the blinkers dont. My guess is the ground wire that these used isnt up to snuff on my setup. I have the ground looped on the same stud, but not sure if I should try grounding it directly to the body (metal on metal) or something else.

Wiring is always my Achilles heel, and it strikes again!...

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
Hey Simon, my guess is if the running lights work, it's not the ground wire since both lights share the same ground wire on each side. Do you have a multi-meter (Alfa owner's friend)? You should see fairly low resistance between the each "hot" wire and the ground wire at the unit. If the blinker wire shows open, check the wire, bulb, socket, and ground connection at that socket. Are these the "new" lights you're trying to get working and did the blinkers on the old Nuova lights work? If not, could be upstream in the car wiring -- do the rear blinkers work?

Edit: I should have asked this first -- is the problem that the front blinkers don't come on at all, or do they light (perhaps faintly) but don't blink? If the latter, it could conceivably be the ground, since the circuit uses the current through the bulbs to cause the blinker unit to flash. In that case the rears wouldn't blink either, unless, unlike earlier cars, the Nuova uses separate circuits for the front and rear blinkers.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Hey Simon, my guess is if the running lights work, it's not the ground wire since both lights share the same ground wire on each side. Do you have a multi-meter (Alfa owner's friend)? You should see fairly low resistance between the each "hot" wire and the ground wire at the unit. If the blinker wire shows open, check the wire, bulb, socket, and ground connection at that socket. Are these the "new" lights you're trying to get working and did the blinkers on the old Nuova lights work? If not, could be upstream in the car wiring -- do the rear blinkers work?

Edit: I should have asked this first -- is the problem that the front blinkers don't come on at all, or do they light (perhaps faintly) but don't blink? If the latter, it could conceivably be the ground, since the circuit uses the current through the bulbs to cause the blinker unit to flash. In that case the rears wouldn't blink either, unless, unlike earlier cars, the Nuova uses separate circuits for the front and rear blinkers.
I have a multi-meter, but I keep failing with it. I've replaced a ton of internal fuses on it and kinda gave up after that.

Any recommendations for a good one that wont cost a ton?

The blinkers previously functioned exactly as they should have. Now none of the blinkers work

21 - 40 of 77 Posts