Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It was first on my radar here. The distance wasnt bad, but the rust was something I needed to see in person before buying it. Never got around to it and it fell off the radar...

...then I stumbled upon it again in Andrew’s potpourri thread and John gave a nice update. I was happy it seemed to be in good hands, but sadly another car slipped away.

Blue Nuova owner here. As Andrew said, the car ran like a top back from Sacramento to Berkeley on a sweltering day. Just like every Alfa, right? Unfortunately, a bunch of house projects, a hectic work schedule and my general laziness have kept it parked in front of the house begging for attention for several months.

Now that house/work/life projects are abating a bit, the car is getting some much-needed maintenance that had been deferred for far too long. In what turned out to be a perfect trade with Andrew, I swapped some critical groceries (potatoes, corn starch, etc.) on Christmas Eve for a new fan belt. I also replaced the disintegrating air filter and the rather nasty fuel filter. Next up is oil change and analysis to see if there's anything to be terribly worried about. Then attempting to rebuild carbs (which seem to hold much less than 100% of the fuel that goes in) and replace the cracked rubber carb mounts with fresh ones (probably with many mistakes along the way).

As for the rust, well it's no more than I expected, but it ain't too pretty. I've always wanted to learn to do body work, so the Nuova may end up being the poor unwilling test subject. The picture shows just how much came off the passenger-side sill when tapped with the back of a wrench. Driver's side is super solid by comparison (not that there's much left to compare to)! Should provide many years of projects.

View attachment 1666487

View attachment 1666488

View attachment 1666489
And that was that...

Recently I sold my MR2 and wanted to finally get an Alfa. I annoyed Andrew to no end and even had him drive out to Belmont to check out that rusty 64 Ti that has been discussed at length in another thread. I wanted to like it but I needed to see it in person. I even went and looked at it again this past weekend with cash in my pocket, but once I saw it, I knew I wasnt going to buy it. Bummer...

However there was one more stop.

You see John had a problem that some of you will know about; he had just bought another Alfa, this time a beautiful 67 Giulia Super. I’ll let him tell the story if he wants, but my next stop was at Johns and I was drawn in immediately. Even my brother was impressed. Suddenly I had forgotten about the 911 I kept telling myself to buy and was looking at this Nuova again. Really needed someone who was dumb enough to dive deep into it. John's not that dumb... but me?.... well....

Can you tell where this going?

Yup, you’re right. I bought it.

Stay tuned for the shenanigans.

-Simon

·
Registered
178 Posts
Congrats on your new Alfa . These are great cars! I have a few alfa's (including a 75 Nuova plus a 911). to many cars and one has to go ? As nice as the 911's are, I wont let my Nuova go so putting the 911 on market soon, lol....

Have fun driving your new Alfa ....

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im waiting to post the pics until I pick it up. In the meantime, there are plenty of pics as to how its been before it became mine in the links above.

Fingers crossed that I can fly up to Oakland next week and drive it back down to Los Angeles. Its currently getting the rebuilt carbs reinstalled and some wheels/tires mounted :)

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got some pics from John yesterday. He mounted the Alfaholics TZ replica wheels along with the brand new Vredestein 175s. Hoping he can get the rebuilt Webers installed this week so I can fly up and drive it home. Eager to get started on it.

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
Agreed. My first Super was painted Blu Olendese with the goldish tan interior, so I still have a soft spot for that combo. And for my second Super, I flew from LA to Sac and drove it home. Good luck and enjoy!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys, Im a big fan of the color as well. Im not 100% sure its the original color, but at the very least its a very thorough repsray in a wonderful shade of blue.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Simone
If you haven’t done so yet take a peak at rubber seals attached to the door bottoms . These rubber seals are easily replaced but you want to make sure that any rust in tracks that hold seals is taken care of sooner than later .

·
Premium Member
23,431 Posts
I live around the corner from John. If he gets in a bind I'm happy to help with the carbs. Sorry to see it leave the neighborhood but it's going to a good home.
Andrew

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I live around the corner from John. If he gets in a bind I'm happy to help with the carbs. Sorry to see it leave the neighborhood but it's going to a good home.
Andrew
Thanks Andrew! Im still holding on to hope that John can get it ready for me by Friday. Probably going to nudge him later today to see how its coming along.

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
Enjoy the drive! I drove my 1300 Super from Santa Monica to Carlsbad and back yesterday, ~200 mile round trip. Cruised happily at 80-85mph (GPS, not Alfa speedo). Pretty amazing cars for their day.

·
Registered
151 Posts
These cars are solid, I remember driving my 72 gtv from dc all the way to mexico city, back and forth... zero problems..

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
TLDR; Im home.~423 miles. 3 stops. 2 for refueling and 1 for food, 0 issues.

Summary/ Details:
First, I was to thank John @jgeorge and Andrew @Andrew Without their help and hard work, this would've never happened and the ambitious fly & drive probably wouldn't have worked out. I'm so grateful for the work they put into this car to allow me to take it to the next level.

After flying up to Oakland and taking the BART to Berkeley I took the final half mile stroll to Andrews house. As I approached Andrews house, I could see her peaking out amongst all the larger cars.

First ever time driving an Alfa... it was quite the test drive! haha

Ironically, the last time I did this drive with a vintage car it was a Datsun Roadster and I see one creeping on me. It was none other than Mike Young, fairly well known guy in the Datsun Roadster world...

Once I was on the 101, the countdown to get home began

I was excited to see this... lets call this the 3rd phase of this cars life

I went straight from Berkeley, non-stop all the way to King City. I wanted to try and make it to San Luis Obispo but also didnt want to risk it. Saw a Shell in King City and stopped. Next Stop was in Pismo Beach, first meal of the day! Was craving a good sandwich and found this place. I asked the guy for a recommendation and he said the Italian aka Mario Bros. SOLD. It was delicious and I was quite satisfied.. and roasted. It was hot in Pismo, and most of the previous 240 miles.

Ok, most of my pics sucked, so when I saw a vista point along the coast. It was time for a quick photoshoot and selfie!

...and home safe in the garage! Cant wait to dive into this thing

also took the bumper out of the back seat. Pretty sure its been there for a year!

Finally, question time. What are all of these circled things lol

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
Congratulations! Glad it went well.

Left to right - fresh air vent (yeah, sure); dunno, something electrical; windshield washer; starting mixture enrichment aka choke; hand throttle

·
Registered
466 Posts
Congratulations on your purchase and on the great story. With a Giulia Berlina you can only have good stories ...
If I can afford some advice I would tell you to restore the front of the car as the original as well as the bumpers and relative bolts. Good luck!

Attachments

Reactions: Renzo-SF and 2mAn

·
Premium Member
23,431 Posts
Back seat will rebound in time, don't worry.
Nice to meet you, double member now, I guess, of the Fly In Drive Home club.
That's funny about Mike in the Datsun. The world is very mysterious. I've met him a few times at events.
Andrew

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Congratulations on your purchase and on the great story. With a Giulia Berlina you can only have good stories ...
If I can afford some advice I would tell you to restore the front of the car as the original as well as the bumpers and relative bolts. Good luck!
Hi Sergio, I appreciate the advice, but the headlights wont be returning to the Nuova style, as I dont have any of the parts and honestly dont particularly like the look. I picked up a few parts from Andrew to further the back-date. Its easier to finish the back-date than return this to original spec.

The Nuova bumper I have and will make an attempt to install it, though not the way it was originally, especially since the mounting points werent attached to it. Without exposing to much of my plan, I will say to just stay tuned for the ride!

I wasnt looking for an original car, as I cannot leave anything alone, so the fact that this car had already been down the "modified" path, I can continue to do so without hurting anyones feelings.

Thanks
-Simon

1 - 20 of 77 Posts