Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, i am new to this forum, having just reaquired my old sprint from 5 years ago..... its gonna be a bit of a resto rpoject, needs some rust cut out and probably a respray done to.... not sure bout the engine, i heard of one sprint with a fuel injt. 1.7 in it from a 33 and was wonderin if anyone can tell me if the 1.7 has the same engine mounts etc???

cheers

photos if they work

Attachments

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
search is your friend
and, yes it does and doesnt - you need a few bits from the donor 33 incl. the cross member :)

·
Registered
498 Posts
hey guys, i am new to this forum, having just reaquired my old sprint from 5 years ago..... its gonna be a bit of a resto rpoject, needs some rust cut out and probably a respray done to.... not sure bout the engine, i heard of one sprint with a fuel injt. 1.7 in it from a 33 and was wonderin if anyone can tell me if the 1.7 has the same engine mounts etc???

cheers

photos if they work
The 1.7 bolts straight in. All the mounts are the same. And the crossmember's are interchangeable..

Just make sure you get the ECU and the electric fuel pump!.

lenus.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 1.7 bolts straight in. All the mounts are the same. And the crossmember's are interchangeable..

Just make sure you get the ECU and the electric fuel pump!.

lenus.
mate this is great to hear, so use the 1.7 gearbox or can i use the 1.5 box???
this is sounding more and more like a goer...
anyone know wat sort of price a 33 1.7 inj. engine would go for roughly??
thanks for anyhelp guys,
cheers
p.s i am from melbourne aust...

cheers

·
Registered
498 Posts
For simplicity it'd be easier to use the 1.5 box. I'm assuming your sprint still has the inboard brakes, so changing to 1.7 box would be a bit more work, because you would have to swap the brakes from a 33 as well!

If you're lucky, your car has the twin carb ti gearbox, it has the same ratio's in 3rd 4th and 5th as the 1.7 box, with slightly lower 1st and 2nd *i think* as the 1.7.

I'm not sure about the price of an engine, personally I'd put a 1.7 carby engine in as opposed to the injection, as it has an extra 10hp off the bat. Not to mention that weber induction.

There's plenty of parts places down your part of Australia and I'm sure many people on this forum can help you out down there with parts suppliers.

lenus.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for your responses lenus and greek.
i think i will take your advice and use the carb 1.7, i assume they are still a twin carb engine....
my 1.5 is a twin carb with dellortos i think....
do ya reckon this will be a noticable difference in power or am i better off just leavin the 1.5???

sorry for all the q's just tryin to figure oput which way to go beroe shellin out my hard earnd on it

cheers and thanks for your help so far

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
That Sprint looks like a type 3 QV (either twincarb 105 leaded or 95 Unleaded - i've owned 2 Sprints, 2 Suds).
Easy peasy swap :)

It should have outboard brakes already with drums on the rear, you can add the vented discs off the 1.7 if their available.

I'd run with the original 1.5 box unless you want the ratios from the 1.7. You won' t be able to hook up the sprints mechanical speedo to a 1.7 box easily, as it comes with the 33's electronic sender (unless this is a 1.7 sprint donor?). I once put a 1.2ti box in my 88QV(whilst rebuilding the synchros on the original).. dang it was quick off the mark - absolutley useless on the freeway - also buggered up the CV's as the diff output flanges on the suds are longer/shorter (something, can't remember) .. call it a learning exercise in how to rebuld not only a gearbox (piece of cake) - but your CV's too :)

So yeah, I'd run with 1.5 box unless the 1.7 has a longer 5th gear ratio .. quieter cruising (but again, buggered up speedo calibration). You also know the history of your 1.5 box .. its faults. Personally, I'd also plump for the EFI - Carbs, although they can produce more power are a pain to tune and setup (in my opinion) - then there's the economy. Get a 1.7Quadcam if you can - cracking drive :)

It was my understanding you defo needed the 1.7 cross member regardless, happy to be wrong here for you.

A 1.7 Quadcam boxer in a Sprint went on ebay UK just the other day.. Quadcam SprintQV thread with link to ebay if i'd seen it quickly enough i'd have pounced.

I miss my Series 3QV

Check for cracks, fractures around the suspension towers and inside wings to chassis rails. Very groovy camber is a giveaway as is a slight creasing of the wing above the front wheel arch. This is what ultimately killed mine.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That Sprint looks like a type 3 QV (either
twincarb 105 leaded or 95 Unleaded - i've owned 2 Sprints, 2 Suds).
Easy peasy swap :)

It should have outboard brakes already with drums on the rear, you can add the vented discs off the 1.7 if their available.

I'd run with the original 1.5 box unless you want the ratios from the 1.7. You won' t be able to hook up the sprints mechanical speedo to a 1.7 box easily, as it comes with the 33's electronic sender (unless this is a 1.7 sprint donor?). I once put a 1.2ti box in my 88QV(whilst rebuilding the synchros on the original).. dang it was quick off the mark - absolutley useless on the freeway - also buggered up the CV's as the diff output flanges on the suds are longer/shorter (something, can't remember) .. call it a learning exercise in how to rebuld not only a gearbox (piece of cake) - but your CV's too :)

So yeah, I'd run with 1.5 box unless the 1.7 has a longer 5th gear ratio .. quieter cruising (but again, buggered up speedo calibration). You also know the history of your 1.5 box .. its faults. Personally, I'd also plump for the EFI - Carbs, although they can produce more power are a pain to tune and setup (in my opinion) - then there's the economy. Get a 1.7Quadcam if you can - cracking drive :)

It was my understanding you defo needed the 1.7 cross member regardless, happy to be wrong here for you.

A 1.7 Quadcam boxer in a Sprint went on ebay UK just the other day.. Quadcam SprintQV thread with link to ebay if i'd seen it quickly enough i'd have pounced.

I miss my Series 3QV

Check for cracks, fractures around the suspension towers and inside wings to chassis rails. Very groovy camber is a giveaway as is a slight creasing of the wing above the front wheel arch. This is what ultimately killed mine.

thanks craig all this is very helpful info... if by QV you mean a clover leaf, it is...have had some cracking in those spots you are talking about fixed up a while ago in front of car... hopefully she holds up...
i think i will make a few calls today to wreckers for prices etc....
cheers

·
Registered
536 Posts
As for the difference in power between 1.5 and 1.7....

Well 1.5 is not that bad and quite torqey an very good in the city. But 1.7 is even better and if you like to push the car the the difference gets bigger.
i was driving my sprint 1.5 along withn my friend 1.7 and when we started to push them to redline , he was way faster , the distance was something like 3 cars or so.

·
Registered
498 Posts
The difference is humongous and as far as I know. Also twin carb 1.5 gearbox is the same as a 1.7 box ratio wise. Because I'm using a 1.7 8v gearbox behind my 16v and it's the same ratio's as the standard ti box in a sud (/twin carb 1.5)!

ie,

~50 @ 6000rpm = 1st
~80 @ 6000rpm = 2nd
~80 @ 4000rpm = 3rd
~80 @ 2500rpm = 5th

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The difference is humongous and as far as I know. Also twin carb 1.5 gearbox is the same as a 1.7 box ratio wise. Because I'm using a 1.7 8v gearbox behind my 16v and it's the same ratio's as the standard ti box in a sud (/twin carb 1.5)!

ie,

~50 @ 6000rpm = 1st
~80 @ 6000rpm = 2nd
~80 @ 4000rpm = 3rd
~80 @ 2500rpm = 5th
buety thanks mate...did some pricing today, loks like ave price is around 1500-2000 for a 8v and up to 3000 for a 16v....
lenus you got any pics of puttin yours in ???
or did ya by it like that???
cheers

·
Registered
498 Posts

That's all the pics I can find right now...

Just a picture before.. And then when I put the engine in...

There's a pic somewhere of the engine and gearbox. I'll try and find it.!

·
Registered
200 Posts
I'm not sure about the price of an engine, personally I'd put a 1.7 carby engine in as opposed to the injection, as it has an extra 10hp off the bat. Not to mention that weber induction.

Good lookin car batesy. It will be worth doing whichever way you go. 1.7 16V for sure is my 2cents worth if you can afford it, its worth it.

Hey lenus, I thought the carb/efi 33 1.7 had the same output?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hey guys, just a thought, how hard is it to turbo a 1.5??? just looking at all options..... anyone done it before???
cheers

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
sorry guys, just did a search and figures it would probably be more exe than a 1.7 convesion...
cheers

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
gday fellas, just an update

yesterday i started cuttin out rust in the driver side sill and the front gaurd... fun... used angle grinder and it worked a treat... think i will need a new gaurd though. it has plenty of cancer and has been fixed up with fiber glass where it hsa been in a smash......
the sill is coming along nicely, and looks like being a patch of about 8cm long by bout 3-4 cm high....
will try and post some photos later
cheers
batesy

1 - 20 of 67 Posts