Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:question:Hi - I picked up the gear shift rod for my Alfetta on an auction (NOS).

In my Alfetta Factory parts book, the part number is 11600.41040.08.

The one I purchased is a part number 11615.41040.00 - and I have got to tell you - they look identical..

So - here is my question - since most of these digits match - is there any sort of rule of thumb here - or assumption that a guy can make relative to the last two digits changing, or 4th and 5th digit changing? I mean.. is there an y predictability - because I can tell you these parts are identical, yet I am trying to understand different numbers when the two parts are identical.

This is an important topic, because sometimes us guys out here know the part number of a part we are looking for based on what we see in the factory parts manual, but there are many instances where the same part may be searchable under a different number.

So - again - any rhyme, reason or predictability to any of this, or do the rules change from part to part...?

Appreciate some long time experience opinions here...

Rob :question:

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I don't know about Alfa parts but other parts I deal with the dash or dot 00, 01,02, etc have denoted a slight change in the part, supplier, left side vs right side (dash 01, dash 02)

Or like Brian said, maybe coupe v sedan Or maybe 1.6 v 1.8 v 2.0?

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
Here's a quick rundown of the Alfa part number format.

First 3 digits are the series number.
Next pair of numbers is the model within the series to which the part was originally designed for or fitted to.
Next pair is the parts group number.
Next 3 digits is the specific part.
The last 2 numbers are the number of revisions, if any, the part has had.

So, part number 11600.41040.08 breaks down as;
116 - Alfetta
00 - 1.6 Saloon
41 - gearbox external controls
040 - specific part
08 - part has been revised 8 times

Part number 11615.41040.00 would be;
116 - Alfetta
15 - Coupe (USA version)
41 - gearbox external controls
040 - specific part
00 - 1st edition part (no revisions)

Whether these two parts are interchangeable or not I can't say.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
PapaJam has the number things correct. As I recall, the last two digits were often followed by a slash and two more digits. I think that was the manufacture variations. IE: the /01 would be a bonaldi part; /02 would be an ATE part; and /03 would be a bendixitalia part - all the same part otherwise.

I remember if the parts numbers ended in .99 , the was a part from the high performance options catalog and was ofter a Autodelta part. Obviously, my car
has all .99 parts and that is my secret as to why my white Spider is faster than John M's White Spider. :clap:

·
Premium Member
26,820 Posts
So where is John M did he go over to the dark side with his blue Prancing Horse?

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Excellent explanation.. Thank you very much..

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
But wait, there's more.

If the 12 digit Alfa part number is followed by a slash and another two digit number, this means that the part is a single component of an assembled 'main' part. For example, xx/30 might be a seal kit for a brake master cylinder or xx/09 a condenser for an ignition distributor (the assembled M/C and dizzy being the main parts).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts