Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I grew up wanting a little convertible sports car my whole life. I fell in love with 50's corvettes and T-Birds as a kid and always promised myself when I grew up I'd have a convertible sports car.

About 3 years ago my awesome wife bought me a 1980 MGB for an anniversary present. I didn't know too much about them but was excited and learned to tinker with it. I kept it running and bought little things here and there to improve it, but it was a bit rusty and had some pretty bad rattles as it went down the road. Even though it never ran top notch it was a blast and I loved it, nicknaming it "the best present ever".

Last week, it gave up the ghost. Looking at the cost of a rebuilt motor, or even a used one, I realized the car was just not worth the investment, so I decided to look around.

Craigslist and eBay didn't turn up too much that would be a good alternative to fixing the B until I came across this Alfa. I looked at it, crawled under it, drove it, played with all the lights and signals, put the top up and down etc.

It has a couple of little rattles going over rougher bumps, a couple of minor rust spots and less than perfect rust repairs, but all in all is solid. It has new seats, a new top, and 1500 miles (documented) on a rebuild. It purrs like a sleeping tiger and has a good throaty growl when pushing her. Surprisingly she shifts easily through all gears (even into second when cold). She does have the original 2000 FI which I know can be tricky.

I am bringing her home tonight and will have her inspected and looked at by a local Foreign and Sports shop. Although they don't specialize in Alfa's they took good care of my B and the owner has an Spider of his own.

So- that's my hello to all! I have the Alfa "Bible" and look forward to spending some time here!
Here she is for a nice forum welcome!
Alfa - a set on Flickr

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Nice looking Spider! I know it's late 70's but what year? Welcome to the BB!

·
Premium Member
977 Posts
That car is the spitting image of my first Spider...it was a 1978, same colour combination. The ex had that one...took it with her on a move to Boston in '87. It was my pride and joy.
Hmm...New York <> Boston.....could it be ? ( If it is, I have a mega apology to make about the sills......)

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,632 Posts
it's a small world:)

·
Premium Member
4,783 Posts
ah Lucas electrics. Reminds me of why Brits drink warm beer. Lucas also makes refigerators. Nice ride and welcome.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Welcome swagner, this is a good place to be. I am new myself and the knowledge and people here are top notch.

That car is the spitting image of my first Spider...it was a 1978, same colour combination. The ex had that one...took it with her on a move to Boston in '87. It was my pride and joy.
Hmm...New York <> Boston.....could it be ? ( If it is, I have a mega apology to make about the sills......)
I have a 78 and my door panels don't look like that. No arm rests. 81?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Documentation indicates it has been in NY its whole life. I have driven it almost 200 miles already and only have a couple of minor issues. The battery light would stay on until it revved pretty high when I looked at it and drove it home. Now it wont turn off. I am pretty sure the alternator and battery are fine though as I have played around with her, drove her here and there, had the radio on while waxing, took it on a good 1 hour drive and back, etc.
I am not sure about the door pulls/armrests. The interior seats and door panels have been redone. Obviously I need to put a new power antenna in and replace the small rubber piece outside the front turn signal on the passenger side. Everything else seems pretty complete. The radio has been replaced with a decent JVC.
This is going to be as much fun or more than the MGB was. Just like the MG though, I have to figure out a good cup holder option. I have a 40 minute commute to work that will be spent mostly in 5th gear. Coffee is a necessity!

·
Administrator
17,767 Posts

·
Registered
1969 Alfa Spider 1750 veloce.
1,056 Posts
Just hold your beer bottle between your legs!!

·
Registered
121 Posts
I wedge the travel mug between the seat and the parking brake. Just keep your hand on it if your stopping or hitting the apex on the off ramp. I am also new and have found the folks on this website very helpful and friendly. These are a ton O' fun and you never get tired of hearing "is that an Alfa Romeo? Cool!"

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
@ghnl:

You've already received your ration of **** for the cup holder, and I won't pile more on even if you do deserve it.

However, that garage door remote?
Yeah, go to Sears, get you the key fob size and some velcro.
You'll find that version can be put vertically quite neatly on the front interior wall of the door map pocket.
Out of sight, always accessable and less poop looking than one stuck to the console next to that girlyman cup holder. :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The battery issue crept up to more than a minor issue and required me to boost the car and recharge the battery. Went to the local auto parts store and plugged the alternator into a tester and its only putting out 10.5v so I ordered a new one. Bosch 65amp. The gears are a bit tricky and sometimes require a "double shift" to get it to shift into 2nd or 3rd without grinding. I am getting used to her feel and matching the revs better with the accelerator, but I am pretty sure the syncros just aren't working right. When moving along in 4th or 5th, coming to a stop or red light I have to wait until the car is almost stopped before moving the shifter to 1st, even with the clutch in. Is this normal?

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
1st isn't syncro'd so either needs to be rev matched very well, or wait til things spool down enough to gently slip it into gear when coming up to a stop.

Just touching 3rd prior to engaging 1st when at a dead stop will help things go in a little easier as the touch gets the gears to turning.

·
Administrator
17,767 Posts
Do you know what oil is in the transmission? Many modern gear oils are too slipery and will prevent the synchros from working properly. Changing to the correct oil may improve the shifting. Shell Spirax was the original recommendation. Redline sells a 75-90 NS that works well and may be easier to find.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts