Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forum, I am about to buy a 1993 Spider and I am looking for a good mechanic shop to perform a Pre Purchase Inspection in Portland, Oregon, any suggestion? Thank you

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hello -- Sorry, no first hand knowledge. But there is a place called Nasko's Imports that I came across one time in PDX. There aren't many online reviews, but the existing few were positive. There is also a small review here on AlfaBB -- although it was from 2006.

They would be worth taking a look at though.

Good luck with your purchase.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Definitely Naskos. He has been around Alfas for a very long time and is an accomplished Alfa racer. He knows his stuff.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you everybody but I do have a small problem....the car I want to buy was serviced by Nasko few months ago and the seller stated that the guy is a friend of him so the PPI will not be impartial.....for this reason he doesn't want to agree to a PPI (despite the price I offered) which IMHO is not reasonable because I will pay for the inspection and I have specific questions for the mechanic that the seller will not answer....any other shop in the area?

·
Premium Member
1,375 Posts
You can call Nasko, he may give you an honest opinion if he doesnt think that you will talk with the seller. Call him and just chat with him. The other alternative is Scuderia Silva

I should have had Silva rebuild my engine instead of Nasko. The prices were similar, and his shop is cleaner.

Honestly, if the car is a pig, Nasko will tell you over the phone, unless he can't remember the car. I have found that most shops will tell you if the car is any good, but they shouldn't tell you if it is a good deal or not for the money. Call him and see!

I'd love to take a look at the car with you, if you like. I don't think the guy would let me do a compression test though, LOL. I can't do a leak down, don't have the stuff and don't know how, but I doubt if Nasko would do it either. He seems to try to get away with as little as possible to get the car back to the customer, in my opinion.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for your kind answer and offer but unfortunately the sale is not going to happen, the seller got unreasonable and despite the top money I offered he will not agree to an inspection paid by me.....he said that he lowered the price for me because he thought the sale was going to happen without a PPI plus in an email he said he is going to keep his car....he is a dealer and it looks like he selling one of his personal cars......

·
Registered
8,946 Posts
Bill Eastman .. He probably sold his business to Nasco... Ask anyone up there how to find him .. He is real easy to reach

·
Premium Member
1,375 Posts
Thank you for your kind answer and offer but unfortunately the sale is not going to happen, the seller got unreasonable and despite the top money I offered he will not agree to an inspection paid by me.....he said that he lowered the price for me because he thought the sale was going to happen without a PPI plus in an email he said he is going to keep his car....he is a dealer and it looks like he selling one of his personal cars......
Now I'm super interested in what car it is! There was a silver S4 for sale recently on CL up in WA, was it that one?
Also, have you owned older Alfas before?

·
Premium Member
1,375 Posts
I drove as many spiders as I could, when I was looking in '14, but that was only around 4, and I bought the 4th. I wanted one with the two binicals, but the 77 I drove was a straw colored car that was very worn out-alternator gave out on the way back from the test drive. There was one on CL from a guy on the coast, he had the car in top shape, it was his daily mostly, but had been in an accident where an SUV drove over front. I couldn't stomach paying for the new front end sheet metal on top of over $3K. Another had oil bubling out of a spark plug well and a helicoil in. Paint was trashed. A lady had a later gold S3 where the engine was filthy and the car had some rust. I settled on a well worn 86 S3 Veloce, owned by a guy that was NOT mechanically inclined. It was $3200, black, only rust was in the trunk. It had high miles due to being towed behind a motorhome, and all the wheel bearings were shot. Ran well but the head leaked oil; that's a common thing, I knew. I joined this forum months before I found the car, and bought Pat Braiden's books on Alfa maint.
In the end, I did pretty well and was only suprised once or twice. I planned to have some restoritive work done all along, and while I've spent way more than the car is worth, it was worth it. The thing that I didn't plan on was the lack of local shops that can work on older Alfas. The guy that did the restoritive work went out of business shortly after finishing my car, and he did NOT do quality work. Simple things were replacing my blower motor- it will not move air to defroster while blowing. He should have yanked it back out to find out how he f**ed up the blend doors. He installed a new wind shield and the after market gasket is crap- water leaks around it from the outside and I rarely drive in rain because of that. Most of the mechanical stuff he did well, but he put a crappy head gasket on to take care of the oil leak, and it blew the day I got it back. His shop was 2hr away from me, so...the motor rebuild was the 2nd shop I had work on the car. It runs like a scalded dog, but it now smokes when it gets hot. Might be valve seals, even though they were replaced. Less than 7K miles on the engine, and I don't flog it. He is the only guy in town now.
I do all other work myself. I just replaced the combo switch for the turn signals and wipers. I've replaced all monopod lights and console lights, put relays on the starter, halogens, e-fan. You have to be able to do the little stuff yourself, I'm finding...troubleshooting, etc.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts