Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy a set of good 12v 3.0L Cylinder Heads. It seems all I have seen lately has been 2.5L stuff...

I am located in the Washington DC area in Silver Spring MD, and can come pick them up if they are local. I know shipping would be insane for these so I want to keep it as local as possible.

I dont mind if they need a valve job or resurfacing etc, as I plan on doing all of that before installing them on my GTV6. Show me what you've got! :cool:

To contact me:

301-332-1417
[email protected]

-Rob

·
Registered
623 Posts
I have 2 164's sitting that need to be parted out. If you come take them off the car they will be cheap! One car does not run and is partially disassembled. The other car has automatic transmission problems but I drove it onto and off of the trailer last year. Since then, i had it running twice. Now, the battery won't charge so i have not started it for 6 months. i was going to use both cars to make one decent one but have decided to get out of the 164 world and stick to alfettas/milanos for my personal cars.

I am in hagerstown, MD, at the intersection of I 70 and I 81, about 75 miles west of you. If you are interested just send me a PM with an offer!

LDK

let me know.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have 2 164's sitting that need to be parted out. If you come take them off the car they will be cheap! One car does not run and is partially disassembled. The other car has automatic transmission problems but I drove it onto and off of the trailer last year. Since then, i had it running twice. Now, the battery won't charge so i have not started it for 6 months. i was going to use both cars to make one decent one but have decided to get out of the 164 world and stick to alfettas/milanos for my personal cars.

I am in hagerstown, MD, at the intersection of I 70 and I 81, about 75 miles west of you. If you are interested just send me a PM with an offer!

LDK

let me know.
That sounds very tempting! Let me do some thinking and I will let you know. Which car do you think would have the better set of heads? If either of them is a 164S, I might consider taking the cams etc. I will bring some extra cash.

Its a safe bet that either cylinder head set could benefit from a valve job and resurfacing. Im not sure how much to offer considering I would be removing them. I know its going to take me several hours, and will have to be on a weekend.

On the first 164 you mentioned, is it a manual transmission 164? Any idea why it doesnt run? Snapped timing belt etc? Just curious. It will probably affect which car I would want to tear the heads off of.

How about $150 for the set? I dont want to insult you, but it sounds about right considering the labor involved. I want to work something out so let me know what you think.

There is a chance that I would want an entire 164 engine (complete) and the cylinder head set.

Do you have an engine crane? I can borrow one if you dont. Talk to you soon.

Respectfully,
Robert Zuccaro

·
Registered
623 Posts
I have a engine hoist. Your offer is fine - exactly what I was thinking. I can/will help if you want with pulling the heads off. If it were me, I would want the ones from the car that was running - at least that way I could hear for any problems. I could probably get the car started without too much trouble. i just do not have the right type of battery charged up. Not been high on my priority list. Both cars are L's, the one with a bad motor (no idea!) is a stick, the other is a autobox. they are both fully complete and have not yet been picked over so if we can work something out and you pull your own parts with my help you can have what you want for a reasonable price!

LDK -

PS - if you want the whole car as a parts car you can do that as well - probably less $$ in the long run! (if you have the space)

LDK

That sounds very tempting! Let me do some thinking and I will let you know. Which car do you think would have the better set of heads? If either of them is a 164S, I might consider taking the cams etc. I will bring some extra cash.

Its a safe bet that either cylinder head set could benefit from a valve job and resurfacing. Im not sure how much to offer considering I would be removing them. I know its going to take me several hours, and will have to be on a weekend.

On the first 164 you mentioned, is it a manual transmission 164? Any idea why it doesnt run? Snapped timing belt etc? Just curious. It will probably affect which car I would want to tear the heads off of.

How about $150 for the set? I dont want to insult you, but it sounds about right considering the labor involved. I want to work something out so let me know what you think.

There is a chance that I would want an entire 164 engine (complete) and the cylinder head set.

Do you have an engine crane? I can borrow one if you dont. Talk to you soon.

Respectfully,
Robert Zuccaro

·
Registered
623 Posts
I checked to see what the PO's said about the engines and here is what I found. On the white 5 speed:

"White, five speed. I think it has north of 150k, but not sure. Clean tan interior. Engine had a broken oil pan, and the bottom end is bad. Pretty complete, aside from LF fender and hood removed to go on another car."

and the red autobox

"Time to make stuff move. Have a beat up but mainly mechanically solid 91 164L auto for sale. 157k, red, beige leather, no sunroof. Runs, drives.

Good:

-cold air
-steppers replaced, work perfectly
-recent belts--will confirm mileage on timing belt EDIT timing belt probably has 20k, but nothing to prove it
-guilt-free winter car/beater
-still strong, pulls well
-all door handles work inside and out"

So that is all I know about these!

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
S Cams

Robert,

I have S cams if you're interested....check out my post and PM me if you have any interest.

·
Premium Member
27,523 Posts
Disclaimer: This is partially what I think I know about them.

White car was an ebay buy of my son's. It came to us with known cracked oil pan and he installed new pan just for hopeful grins, but lower end damage already done and bearings got worse so he sold it to PO (friend of mine) you got it from for parts. Lower end went south on us getting it ready to move to C-ville) so engine stopped running at that point. Internal condition unknown.

Red one was once a Hagerstown car (another friend) that went to C-ville (another friends son) before it went to PO (same as first friend) you bought it from.

I believe Red car had a bambi kill during its time on the roads.

White car's hood and fender went to another white one that also had a bambi kill to its credit if I remember story correctly.

These 164 like many Alfas move from one family to another.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Thanks for the extra info Steve! I ended up with both as my wife said she would drive a 164 and thought I would be able to get into them. Get 2 make one type of thing. Been woking on my Alfetta and Milanos and never got around to this project. The new plan is to part these out and save the $$ earned for the partial price of a series 4 spider w/automatic (or maybe not "no hon, they don;t come in automatic!")

And thanks again for your help with all things Alfa V6!

LDK

·
Premium Member
27,523 Posts
Rare yes but they do/did come with A/T in some Series 4 spiders didn't they? I know they did cause one of our chapters members has a black 91 w/AT.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Disclaimer: This is partially what I think I know about them.

White car was an ebay buy of my son's. It came to us with known cracked oil pan and he installed new pan just for hopeful grins, but lower end damage already done and bearings got worse so he sold it to PO (friend of mine) you got it from for parts. Lower end went south on us getting it ready to move to C-ville) so engine stopped running at that point. Internal condition unknown.

Red one was once a Hagerstown car (another friend) that went to C-ville (another friends son) before it went to PO (same as first friend) you bought it from.

I believe Red car had a bambi kill during its time on the roads.

White car's hood and fender went to another white one that also had a bambi kill to its credit if I remember story correctly.

These 164 like many Alfas move from one family to another.
Thanks for the input Steve. Hey, quick question on that white 164 that had the cracked oil pan... I understand the bottom end is trashed. Do you think the heads are ok by any chance?

I might consider getting the complete engine from the 164 that runs, and then taking the heads off of the one with the bad bottom end. Let me know what you would do, always appreciated.

-Robert

·
Premium Member
27,523 Posts
Thanks for the input Steve. Hey, quick question on that white 164 that had the cracked oil pan... I understand the bottom end is trashed. Do you think the heads are ok by any chance?

I might consider getting the complete engine from the 164 that runs, and then taking the heads off of the one with the bad bottom end. Let me know what you would do, always appreciated.

-Robert
I suspect heads are OK but pretty sure a rod or rod bearing let go just as engine died so if piston came up higher, valve(s) on at least one cylinder could be bent.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Looks like we have a deal on the red car and and the extra heads from the white car. Thanks to everyone for their help in getting the OP his stuff, and me one less lawn ornament!

LDK

1 - 12 of 12 Posts