·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Admin
4,862 Posts
Thats good news.

I like that program a lot but still think it was better when Tiff Needle was the host.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Great!!! Now I can get rid of Speed Channel.

They really suck now. I never watch it anymore.

Paul

·
Registered
73 Posts
Just a word of warning to any un-aware or sensitive viewers Stateside...

...They are VERY anti-American on that show. Don't watch if you aren't prepared to have the piss taken out of you on a regular basis.:p

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
Top Gear

Yes. They are always taking swipes at anything american. You are right to warn people.

On the other hand, they tend to buy american as personal cars. It must be the politics and not the cars so much.

·
Premium Member
16,143 Posts
LOL, I can understand that!

·
Registered
883 Posts
Thats good news.

I like that program a lot but still think it was better when Tiff Needle was the host.
I'm with you, Simon. I think Tiff is far more insightful and since every word isn't outrageous hyperbole, you can actually take advice from him. Clarkson can be hilarious, but sometimes I think Top Gear is pure entertainment. Perhaps in the past there was more actual meat to it? At this point in time, I think I might prefer 5th Gear...

One massive point to consider though: Clarkson is an Alfista while Tiff doesn't "get it".

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I usually find most of their anti-Americanism funny at worst, but it would likely offend many. Anyway, I believe they have edited out the anti-American comments.
I think Tiff is dull. I think the trio they have now (the others as much as Clarkson) really make the show. My wife even loves the show and couldn't care less about cars.

·
Registered
776 Posts
My big problem with Brit 'car media' is that they let street cred issues get in the way of objectivity.

Agree with 'Tiffany Dell' being more level-headed, therefore more believable. So true.

One thing I do love about Brit TV is that they don't pull their punches. Doling out offense is normal. Compare and contrast with, for example Motortrend's TV show. Totally PC, no one gets offended, including the manufacturers of the cars that they review. But that's true for just about all US TV.

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
Good point

Spot on!

When I watch Top Gear, it feels like I'm sitting with a group of guys talking about cars. I don't agree with everything they say, but thats not the point. We are showing intense interest, and investing time and emotion, into something we all love. Automobiles.

Sounds like a Saturday in the garage with my car buddies. It's just that on Top Gear I want to punch them now and again. What car guy can't associate with that?

·
Registered
73 Posts
On the other hand, they tend to buy american as personal cars. It must be the politics and not the cars so much.
I'm not so sure about that. Jeremy ditched his Ford GT because it kept breaking down and now he's back to Ford-bashing again. His other cars are all non-American.

James May has (had) a Bentley and Porsche Boxster

Richard Hammond has a Landrover, Porsche and a Morgan (amongst others) but he does have a couple of old American muscle cars and a Harley.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Did a bit of a trawl through Wikipedia and thought this passage concerning Clarkson's anti-Americanism was relevant...

"Throughout Top Gear, Clarkson has made anti-American remarks, often stereotyping Americans as fat and dull-witted. For example, in September 2005 Clarkson wrote an editorial for The Sun: "Most Americans barely have the brains to walk on their back legs".[43] He has also said on Top Gear when comparing a rural British village with a rural American village that "In rural America, the town would be full of people doing… whatever it is they do. Incest, mostly".[44] One of Clarkson's most famous remarks was made during the 'American Roadtrip' episode of Top Gear, where he stated 'In some parts of America people have begun to mate with vegetables.' In addition to this, a U.S. version of "Top Gear" has been halted because of Clarkson's refusal to live in America during its filming."

He also once altered a world map to show the United States replaced with the "South Canada Sea".

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
Watched a couple of the shows last nite and I was on the floor, it was so funny!
The 'car-boat' set and the 'people- mover/convertible' were too funny!

If the hosts don't take themselves seriously, why should we?

Randy

·
Registered
165 Posts
Does anyone know if it is on in Canada again? I really miss that show--Clarkson is a complete riot and a breath of fresh air compared to the politically correct, dull-as-dishwater car shows we get here.

·
Registered
437 Posts
ford f150

i saw the show where he ripped on the ford f150 and had the comment about incest in it. that bit was surprisingly insulting, but i got a chuckle out of it.

the f150 deserved the absolute tongue lashing he gave it, but i was even more amused by what we americans would consider his european stereotype nonmasculinity. he goes buying groceries and kind of behaving snooty in a kind of girly way that was equally as funny as the incest comment, and he didnt even realise that he was doing it, which made it even funnier.

not to defend the f150 or the american love of bigger is better, but he doesnt see at all that the truck is for hauling construction supplies to a jobsite and not picking up cheese and some sort of fancy matches. at the end he has this odd segment of cool or not cool where all cars are posted into one or the other category. so much for being so sophisticated.

ill definitely be watching the show in the future

·
Registered
26 Posts
Don't worry it's not just the Americans that Clarkson offends. Here are some comments he made about some areas of his own country.

"Residents of Norfolk started this campaign in response to comments made by Jeremy implying that people living in the area were backwards. Jeremy claimed that in the 'flat and featureless' county people point and say: "Hey, look, it’s a car!" whenever he drove past and that the government should tell people to avoid it unless they like: "orgies and the ritual slaying of farmyard animals." Comments about Lincolnshire also got Jeremy lambasted by road safety groups for saying he drives "fast and recklessly" through Lincolnshire because it is so boring."

The whole thing with Clarkson is that he says just whatever he wants to. It is such a contrast to all the rest of the motoring shows which are all so politically correct and totally boring. Yes Tiff Needall is more informative and a better driver so if you want to know how a car handles on the limit rather ask him. But Clarkson is entertaining. And he is a brilliant writer. If you think he is funny on TV you should read some of his articles.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Here are some more Clarkson quotes:

9: Clarkson on diesel motors
Clarkson's talent for similes can make even car motors interesting. "Sure it's quiet, for a diesel. But that's like being well-behaved... for a murderer."

7: Clarkson on bad gadgets
When testing the Bentley Continental GT, Jezza just couldn't see the point in a lever on the dash that adjusted the suspension. He concluded: "It really is about as useful as putting a snooze button on a smoke alarm."

6: Clarkson on family cars
He may prefer roaring down roads in Mustangs, but here's Clarkson being nice about a lowly family car: "Much more of a hoot to drive than you might imagine. Think of it, if you like, as a librarian with a G-string under the tweed. I do, and it helps."

2: Clarkson on cricket
Attending a cricket match, Clarkson had this to say on the audience: "Fathers and their sons dressed in matching blazers and slacks, as though women hadn't been involved in the breeding process at all. You just open up the chap like a Russian doll, and out pops another one."

[about Ferrari Enzo] Ferrari is so pleased with it, they've named it after the founder of the company. They call it the Enzo. That'd be the same as Lotus calling their next car..."The Colin".

Racing cars which have been converted for road use never really work. It's like making a hard core adult film, and then editing it so that it can be shown in British hotels. You'd just end up with a sort of half hour close up of some bloke's sweaty face.

We start tonight with the highlight of my childhood. It's the Ladybird Book of Motorcars from 1963, and as you would imagine it's full of rubbish really. Just endless boring grey shapes, until you get to page 40, where you find the Maserati 3500 GT. Now this for me, when I was little, was like kind of Jordan and Cameron Diaz. In a bath together. With a Lightning jet fighter. And lots of jelly.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If this were America, it would be full of people doing... whatever it is they do. Incest, mostly, I think.

There are many things I'd rather be doing than driving it, including waiting for Bernard Manning to come off stage in a sweaty nightclub, and then licking his back clean.

That Zonda, really! It's like a lion in orange dungarees. Kind of fierce, but ridiculous all at the same time.

as something to live with every day, I'd rather have bird flu.

1 Maserati Quattroporte

"In a list of the five most rubbish things in the world, I’d have America’s foreign policy at five. Aids at four. Iran’s nuclear programme at three. Gordon Brown at two and Maserati’s gearbox at number one. It is that bad."

2 BMW 1 Series

"I’m choosing the words for my conclusion with even more care than usual. So here goes. The 1-series is crap.

4 Land Rover Defender 90 Td5 Station Wagon

"Often fourth isn’t enough to get you up a hill, so you drop down to third and it feels as though you’ve been hit in the back with a wrecking ball. All of a sudden you’re doing 35mph but your eight-ton suit of armour, making a noise that sounds like the birth of the universe, has come to an almost dead stop.

"What’s more, there still isn’t enough room behind the wheel for anyone with shoulders or legs, there are still sharp edges, it’s as bouncy as a small dog at suppertime, and as a result it’s about as much fun to drive as a punctured wheelbarrow. And it’s not like the misery is short-lived, because each trip to the shops can, and does, take two or three weeks."

5 Perodua Kelisa 1.0 GXi

"This is without doubt the worst car, not just in its category but in the world. It has a top speed of 88mph but takes so long to reach it that no one has ever lived long enough to verify the claim, the inside is tackier than Anthea Turner’s wedding and you don’t want to think what would happen if it bumped into a lamppost.

"Also its name sounds like a disease."

7 Mitsubishi Warrior

"’What,’ I exclaimed, ’in the name of all that’s holy, do we want one of those for?’ We’re European. We were sipping tea while the Americans were shooting Indians. We’ve had 2,000 years to get used to civilisation, not 20 minutes. We’re advanced, we’re slim, we’re at the cutting edge of evolution. We think that shooting bears is daft. Budweiser gives us a headache and we think George Bush is an arse.

"So why in God’s name do we want to drive around in a car made from a hen house and two bits of railway track?"

10 Volkswagen Jetta

"I’d love to meet the man who styled the exterior, to find out if he’d done it as some sort of a joke. But mostly I’d like to meet the man who simply didn’t bother at all with the interior. Because looking at that dashboard gives you some idea of what it might be like to be dead."

11 BMW 645Ci

"If you were to buy a 6-series, I recommend you select reverse when leaving friends’ houses so they don’t see its backside."

“In the olden days I always got the impression that TVR built a car, put it on sale, and then found out how it handled. Usually when one of their customers wrote to the factory complaining about how dead he was.”

“This is a Renault Espace, probably the best of the people carriers. Not that’s much to shout about. That’s like saying, ‘Ooh good, I’ve got Syphilis, the best of the sexually transmitted diseases’.”

“Telling people at a dinner party you drive a Nissan Almera is like telling them you’ve got the ebola virus and you’re about to sneeze.”

“In many ways then this car is like herpes. Great fun catching it but not so much fun live with every day.”

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
Ian, do you have any other hobbies?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts