1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I thought it just couldn't get any worse, I read this krap

http://news.yahoo.com/s/csm/20070626/ts_csm/orefuge_1

Get this :rolleyes:

"Accepting refugees isn't as simple as giving them a visa. Families coming to the US receive free plane tickets and a living stipend while they get on their feet, but they're expected to start paying this money back once they get a job. In all, the US spends about $800 million a year on refugees, though much of this is to improve living conditions in refugee camps overseas. The US will accept 70,000 refugees in total this year."

Geeze, I guess lowly US citizens couldn't use the $800 million for somethin':(.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
I'm glad I immigrated to America in the 50's, when it wasn't so incorrect to want a better life. Our start would have been made easier if we were offered similar help.

I hope they also prosper and contribute.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
thats only a little over 11 thousand each to bring over potential terrorists, what happened to the politicly correct rabid anti immigrant policies?
cliff

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
You know, I agree with LM. There are so many people who are milking the system and people wonder why we're in so much debt. I pay my taxes every year and what comes out of that?

Look at the San Francisco police budget. They proposed an increase in salary and then the commission took it away and said they couldn't afford to pay our cops more. These are the same people who are complaining that no one wants to be an SF police officer, not to mention its f***ing dangerous!

Don't even get me started on illegal immigration. Honestly, if you come in here illegally, then OBEY our laws! Don't try and pass off fake ID's. Don't steal. Take public transportation, don't drive and hit my car, then take off because you're worried about getting deported.

Rant off, sorry I got a little off topic. I'm just tired of people who can't come here the right way like so many people. Is it fair for them?

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
the origional post reffered to inviting Irac immigration, funded by taxpayers. you know every time we are in a war, we take all the loosing side here, then the winning side comes here too.
cliff

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Then what are you referring to? Your post doesn't make any sense...
Ahhh,,, the point is,
The original post questioned legal immigration.

And I'm assuming your parents, grandparents or great, great, great grandparents were legal.
Would you have allowed them in?

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
Ah! got it now. No one is keeping American citizens here, they are free to live in other countries as well...but back to original topic even though this is the off-topic section!

Europe is now having a huge problem with refugees as well.

**My mom and dad came from different countries. My mom is from Germany, father from Ireland. Both came here legally. Otherwise, I wouldn't let them in. If they apply, they would get in.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Ah! got it now. No one is keeping American citizens here, they are free to live in other countries as well...but back to original topic even though this is the off-topic section!

Europe is now having a huge problem with refugees as well.

**My mom and dad came from different countries. My mom is from Germany, father from Ireland. Both came here legally. Otherwise, I wouldn't let them in. If they apply, they would get in.
I also agree!

Keep immigration a fair process and not a means of discrimination.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I'm glad I immigrated to America in the 50's, when it wasn't so incorrect to want a better life. Our start would have been made easier if we were offered similar help.

I hope they also prosper and contribute.

Hi Aldo

While it certainly wasn't my point to offend, this is not the same world as it was 50 years ago:(. 50 years ago it was Howdy Doody, Buffalo Bob Smith & Winky Dink. Now it's the internet, Howard Stern and the WTC diasters. Heck, it's not the same world as it was 10 yrs ago . You show me anyone that suggests that what we need most now is 70,000 Iraqi refugees, and I'll show you someone that's nuts.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Hi lowmilage,

I was not offended and I hope it didn't appear that way.

Are you opposed to 70,000 immigrants or 70,000 Iraqi’s?

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Hi lowmilage,

Are you opposed to 70,000 immigrants or 70,000 Iraqi’s?

Where are the immigrants coming from and what state do you intend you put them in:). It's a gimmie I don't want the Iraqi's.

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
First, let me state that one set of my grandparents saved their money and came here legally from Canada and the other half of the family have been here for millenia, being 'native American'.
I am not against a family or person saving up and coming here with a visa, then getting citizenship and staying. This is the way it is supposed to be. Not the way it is.
I object to shipping in thousands of refugees like Alfacliff mentioned, from countries that are having wars fought, by us or other countries, and GIVING them special treatment, i.e; nice housing, money for cars, food stamps and many other benifits that hardworking low income Americans cannot enjoy[ unless of course we include the welfare scum].
We in Maine were subjected to huge numbers of Somali people be shipping in and given our best housing when hard working Mainers could hardly afford it to begin with- then couldn't get apartments because they are all taken by "immigrants", because greedy landlords got more for the units that way. It also irks me that these Somali's are exceedingly rude And learned right away to take advantage of the program. It also happened some years ago with Vietnamese people.
Illegal immigrants? Ship em' back. I'd rather my tax money went to that rather than supporting them here.

$800 million for immigrants? How about the billions we send to countries that hate us? Seems to me we could do a lot to improve our school systems and healthcare with that money....

·
Registered
462 Posts
I'm first generation in this country. I came here in 1951 from Europe with my folks, brother and a couple of steamer trunks. I was 3 years old. Way back, in the early 50's, if you were to immigrate to this country...by law: (1) you had to be sponsored (it was the Catholic church for us) (2) you had to know and speak english, and (3) you had to have a job lined up. That's how the sponsor helped. Makes real good sense. There was no free lunch, only a genuine opportunity for a better life for you and your family. There were a ton of people all over the world that needed to relocate after WWII, to many countries, not just the US. Going back to their country of origin meant certain death in many cases. Many countries have benefited greatly from an orderly, legal process for new citizens. I think things have changed VERY much, and regrettably, for the worse. The system is being abused, and laws are not being enforced. That's just my old school opinion.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
I'm first generation in this country. I came here in 1951 from Europe with my folks, brother and a couple of steamer trunks. I was 3 years old. Way back, in the early 50's, if you were to immigrate to this country...by law: (1) you had to be sponsored (it was the Catholic church for us) (2) you had to know and speak english, and (3) you had to have a job lined up. That's how the sponsor helped. Makes real good sense. There was no free lunch, only a genuine opportunity for a better life for you and your family. There were a ton of people all over the world that needed to relocate after WWII, to many countries, not just the US. Going back to their country of origin meant certain death in many cases. Many countries have benefited greatly from an orderly, legal process for new citizens. I think things have changed VERY much, and regrettably, for the worse. The system is being abused, and laws are not being enforced. That's just my old school opinion.
Funny, your story is almost exactly mine except we were not sponsored, we had no money, and when my parents died they still didn't speak much English. They applied and were eventually accepted.

Maybe we should have a poll, a short list of the countries were willing to except immergrants from, should be interesting.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts