Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I'd post this in case anyone else is considering this repair. I recently ended up having to replace my entire wiper fluid system....the pump and reservoir were AWOL when I bought the car. The hose going to the pump was damaged....I tried a quickie repair with a small plastic fitting and some fuel tubing (discussed below), but system pressure was low (and/or the old nozzles were just clogged). So I decided to replace the entire line coming from the nozzles to the pump, but upon removing the cowl vent, both lines going to the nozzles broke (good ol' desert heat I suppose).

Anyway, I ended up with a really cheap and simple replacement for the hose: silicone fuel tubing for model aircraft. They make this stuff in 3 sizes, I went with the largest (1/8" inner diameter) which is perfect for the pump and nozzle ends. You can get this at any hobby shop. Tower Hobbies stocks the stuff in 2-ft sections for $2.09 per section:

Dubro Silicone Fuel Tubing Large 2'

You only need two sections...one 2-ft section will go from the T-fitting to the pump, the other will be split in two pieces to go to each nozzle. I secured the tubing to the underside of the cowl vent with masking tape, to keep it out of harm's way while reinstalling the vent. Nice thing about silicone tubing, it's very flexible, and resistant to kinking. It also lasts a LONG time. I have model planes 8+ years old with the original fuel line still installed and not dried out or cracking, and this is with constant exposure to harsh fuel (I have seen it crack, but it's not likely to ever be an issue in the comparatively benign environment of the Spider's protected cowl vent area pumping washer fluid).

For the T-fitting itself, I happened to have a plastic fuel line splitter in my field box.:
http://theplaceofcoolness.com/pics/alfa/fitting.jpg
Again, you can get these at a hobby shop for cheap.

I must say, this has been one of the cheaper repairs on my Alfa. The most expensive part was the pump/reservoir, for around $30 from IAP, then $4 for tubing, $11 for nozzles, and the fitting I already had (though a new one could be purchased for under $5 easily). All told, you can replace the entire system with all new stuff for around $50.

My windshield washer system is now pumping away happily: the first time I tested it, the driver's side shot out beyond the windshield and onto the trunk!!! :p (A little nozzle adjustment fixed that.)

·
Registered
361 Posts
Just thought I'd post this in case anyone else is considering this repair. I recently ended up having to replace my entire wiper fluid system....the pump and reservoir were AWOL when I bought the car. The hose going to the pump was damaged....I tried a quickie repair with a small plastic fitting and some fuel tubing (discussed below), but system pressure was low (and/or the old nozzles were just clogged). So I decided to replace the entire line coming from the nozzles to the pump, but upon removing the cowl vent, both lines going to the nozzles broke (good ol' desert heat I suppose).

Anyway, I ended up with a really cheap and simple replacement for the hose: silicone fuel tubing for model aircraft. They make this stuff in 3 sizes, I went with the largest (1/8" inner diameter) which is perfect for the pump and nozzle ends. You can get this at any hobby shop. Tower Hobbies stocks the stuff in 2-ft sections for $2.09 per section:

Dubro Silicone Fuel Tubing Large 2'

You only need two sections...one 2-ft section will go from the T-fitting to the pump, the other will be split in two pieces to go to each nozzle. I secured the tubing to the underside of the cowl vent with masking tape, to keep it out of harm's way while reinstalling the vent. Nice thing about silicone tubing, it's very flexible, and resistant to kinking. It also lasts a LONG time. I have model planes 8+ years old with the original fuel line still installed and not dried out or cracking, and this is with constant exposure to harsh fuel (I have seen it crack, but it's not likely to ever be an issue in the comparatively benign environment of the Spider's protected cowl vent area pumping washer fluid).

For the T-fitting itself, I happened to have a plastic fuel line splitter in my field box.:
http://theplaceofcoolness.com/pics/alfa/fitting.jpg
Again, you can get these at a hobby shop for cheap.

I must say, this has been one of the cheaper repairs on my Alfa. The most expensive part was the pump/reservoir, for around $30 from IAP, then $4 for tubing, $11 for nozzles, and the fitting I already had (though a new one could be purchased for under $5 easily). All told, you can replace the entire system with all new stuff for around $50.

My windshield washer system is now pumping away happily: the first time I tested it, the driver's side shot out beyond the windshield and onto the trunk!!! :p (A little nozzle adjustment fixed that.)

Thanks for the post, using your info.....

·
Registered
867 Posts
I ended up using tubing from a modern Ford wagon from the wreckers, I removed the rear washer tubing, it was almost as long as the car. It is black tubing, chemical and UV proof, this tubing will not harden. The wrecker charge me $0.00, it's just something they never sell.

·
Registered
293 Posts
You can buy silicone airline tubing (for aquariums) at any pet store in long lengths. I think I bought a 12' length for ~$7 a while back. It only comes in one size, but it's the right size.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts