Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When is the last time you bought a set of Golden Lodge plugs? At one time, I planned on a nice new set when I put my Spider back together, but I was under the impression they were NLA.

A search just now turned these up on Centerline for $20 EACH....

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I had some NOS Lodges that I sold here for a hundred a set, a few years ago. They really are Golden... I wonder how much they would have fetched on eBay.

1960 technology, their main interest is nostalgia.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,524 Posts
I'd like to know the story on those plugs at CL. Last I heard they were no longer being made by Golden Lodge, and there were some sketchy knockoffs coming out of China (not that I'm implying that's what CL is selling!) Did whoever owns GL start up production again? Did someone buy the name?

Golden Lodge always worked fine for me when they were available but I've since switched to NGK. I've tried a few plugs over the years and my Alfas have never seemed really sensitive to plug type.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I will be listing some of my NOS Golden lodge spark plugs next week.
The story of my spark plugs is I obtained them from an Alfa Romeo dealer who was selling cars and parts in the 60's and 70's.. Most are in packs of 8, others are loose.
Regards Steve

·
Premium Member
4,532 Posts
Yep! The pink ones. They are the 2HL for high speed driving and are correct for your 70's and earlier show car.

In the late 80's the Golden Lodge that were coming from Alfa had Spica on the boxes. Spica also made the water pumps and oil pumps.

I had heard at some point back then that Alfa owned Spica.

·
Registered
8,104 Posts
you can find the HL lodge that were std. equipment on USA alfas at the time (OKP has them for half)
its the 2HL (euro cars had 2HL) that are difficult to find, especially if real ones!...the market was flooded with counterfeit lodge plugs a while back, and a lot of those will still be floating around on the market and sold off at silly prices.
There was a good italian seller about 10 years than pointed out all the subtle differences between counterfeit and real golden lodge....I haven't been able to find it again
I once got stung with a false set, in Lodge packaging (I believe from India, not China btw) after the first hundred miles I went to check them and the green writing came off on my fingers...:)
(the sellers are clever, they do not sell them at 5 bucks a piece, which would make you think straight away fake, but at 20-40 bucks a piece, so you think ah! they must be the rare genuine Lodge)

If I had to trust any I'd go for those in original alfa red packages with the 0605129290 part number on them...alfa will chase counterfeiters whereas Lodge, no longer in existance, cannot do so...
lodge.jpg

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
Back in the days before platinum plugs and electronic ignition when you had to do a "tune-up" every 20,000 miles the Lodges lasted about twice as long as the regular plugs.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I was rummaging through some of my parts kits the other day and lo and behold; I found a complete set of the original Golden Lodge spark plugs. Must have been there for at least twenty years or so. All original, down to their individual boxes.

So I have my own little NOS it seems!

Do spark plugs age? Only a few months ago, I put new plugs in my Spider, so it is likely to be many years before I will need to use my NOS. So will a 30-40 year old plug still work? I assume, that as long as they are clean, they should!

·
Registered
8,104 Posts
they won't have aged...they'll be fine:)

new plugs out the box can be faulty, but that is different.

·
Premium Member
4,532 Posts
I have 2 sets of the pink 2HL and I think one set of the later white with green writing 2HL in my toolbox.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Hi all,

Fwiw here the different Alfa numbers for the 2HL during the years:
105.14.05.106.00 > 105.14.05.106.01 = 607015610 (for the 101 giulias, 106 series, 105 series, Montreal and Alfettas.
The 605129290 = 195 1705106 ( is listed as a 3.0 spark plug)
But all were 2HL.

I wonder whether the change from the early 105.14.05.106.00 (that was cancelled when stock was exhausted) to the 105.14.05.106.01 was in fact the changing of the color of the porcelain ? This change was listed in the 6/1964 catalog for the Giulia Sprint GT.

Any other ideas about that change in number or about the color change moment ?

Rgds,

Thierry

·
Premium Member
4,532 Posts
Here in the U.S. in the late 80's to the end in 95. We also had HL USA ones. They were the white colored style with the green writing.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts