Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
I'm replacing spark plugs and was wondering if anyone could give me some input or which ones you would recommend...IAP has both Golden Lodge and Bosch so I'd figure I would stay with one of those..just looking for some backround. Thanks

·
Administrator
12,744 Posts
My car will run on Golden Lodge when I've finished it, simply because nothing worked better on my Alfa Sud, even when it was producing 200 hp.

NGK's did not work for me and I constantly had missing and farting around which was solved by using the correct plugs, ie. Golden Lodge.

You will notice that more modern plugs are now starting to look like Golden Lodge with their multiple electrode design also.
Pete

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have had excellent luck with the "U" channel Nippon Denso plugs as well as Autolite 65's which cost about 1.25ea. Of course we all know what opinions are like, and spark plugs,lubricants and filters are the worst!

Cheers!
Dave G.

·
Administrator
12,744 Posts
Of course we all know what opinions are like, and spark plugs,lubricants and filters are the worst!

Cheers!
Dave G.
Amen :).

The only other point though is these engines (Nord anyway) were designed for Golden Lodge, er, atleast the early ones.

I guess whatever the Alfa Romeo manual says is the right plug.
Pete

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Hey Guys,
I'm replacing spark plugs and was wondering if anyone could give me some input or which ones you would recommend...IAP has both Golden Lodge and Bosch so I'd figure I would stay with one of those..just looking for some backround. Thanks
I've never had any issues with the Golden Lodge. All my Spiders run well with them. With the Bosch, they may run well for a while, but these have a tendency to foul. Also once they are fouled, the Bosch won't clean-up no matter how hard or how long I run the engine. Bosch does make a great plug for other cars, but I have found them to work the worst on our Spiders. Champion, and NGK work great, just like the Lodge.

Best regards,

·
Premium Member
2,813 Posts
Plugs

I use Golden Lodges or Champions.
Bosch Platinums perform well, but tend to degrade quickly.

·
Premium Member
14,252 Posts
NGK BP7ES are $1.65 each at Advance Auto Parts. Great plugs, great price.
Ed Prytherch
74 GTV
79 Spider
88 Milano Verde

·
Registered
439 Posts
Reduced fowling

Plugs that run in an evironment where oil is consumed in normal circumstances are your best bet. I've had best performance from

NGK BP6ES (I think this is the warmer plug range v. BP7ES); and

Champion RN6YC.

I ran Golden Lodges, but had better fowling resistance with NGK and Champion coupled to my Solex ADDHE twin carb setup.

The Bosch plugs were useless.

I think the old Alfas really like the copper core plug design the best. And they're cheaper!

PS: Watch your gapping. Some plugs come gapped, others don't. I think NGKs are pre-gapped at 0.035. Some folks like running gaps to 0.025, depending on application.

·
Registered
what part?
9,868 Posts
bosch plat.2's fowling??? i guess it might be in the fuel system..on my last lfa (78) spider..yes they did.. but on my bosch injected spider..they do not fowl..i took them out this morning....light tan.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Fuelies and Bosch; Champion/NGK and carbs

My experience:

Bosch is happy with properly working fuel injection, and not happy with carbs, which often run rich at idle in order to run right at speed. And, the platinum Bosch plugs do not like motors which consume a bit of oil in normal operation.

Copper core NGKs and Champions have worked best in my Nuova Super, with 40mm ADDHE Solex carbs and higher compression, consuming about 1/4 qt of Mobil 1 every 450 km. The car is also very sensitive to heat ranges and dype of use. Daily driving, the RN6 or BP6 range plugs seem to work best. It's harder to keep the BP7 range plug clear without blasting about.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Always had the best luck with the lodge plugs in my 84 spider. The Bosch plugs worked but the car idled rougher than with the lodge plugs. I don't recall any performance issues (either bad aor good).

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
I believe the reason Alfa spec'd Golden Lodge plugs is that the engine was smog certified with them and in the 70s Alfa was very concerned about keeping out of trouble with the EPA in the US market. Also the reason that they were so stingy on ANY information on the operation/repair of the Spica system, i.e. all repairs to the injection pump were to be done by the factory.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts