Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I was thinking of refinishing the steel wheels on our '69 GT Junior and wanted to paint them gold instead of silver. The car is red and I love the look of red car with gold rims. I was wondering if anyone has done this and if there are any pictures?

Also, any recommendations as to what paint to use?

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
336 Posts
It's easy and cheap to try. Or you could bugger around with Photoshop and come up with something to give you an idea of how it would look. The car might look a bit ersatz Ferrari with gold wheels? Proper urethane base/clear paint would be the best/most durable, but using DupliColor rattle cans can yield very pleasing results too. It's all in how much prep work you do, to state the obvious. The best wheels to do in gold would be five spoke Daytona alloys, but again, a bit Tifosi wannabe maybe. John

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
I agree with the post above. Just use some spray cans to get an idea. It's cheap and reversable.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just had a quick play with this. Hope no one minds. 15" Saab steel or the like.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very interesting....this is fantastic, thanks very much. They look pretty cool to me, very 60's. I think I might do it, if I do I'll post a few pics.

I'm anxious to hear the others opinions...

·
Registered
184 Posts
I like it. Has to be the right wheel though....the one above pulls it off nicely. I don't know that I'd do it with any kind of alloy.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Needs a pink STI badge to really pull it off. Just kidding. It actually looks nice in the picture above.

·
Registered
49 Posts
If I may suggest, bronze color perhaps? Just a little bit more subtle color than gold, although gold still looks good.

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
Sorry; I think these are all too dark for a dark car. Might (or not) be OK on a light blue or white car, or some such, but not an Alfa red.

Reminds me too much of the rice racers all-black look; or of saggy pants with boxers showing.

Robert

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
The rest of the trim on the Muria is still silver, so it looks mixed. At least these gold rims are much lighter, which is nice...

Robert

·
Registered
465 Posts
Gold rims..

Hi Bruce,

You're absolutely correct. the Italians were mixing red & gold long before the riceburners came along. You only have to look at old Ducati's.

Love that photo, it contains one of my favourite cars - the 3.0 CSL in the background.

:D
Cheers
Wazza

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,862 Posts
I think a red GTV would look good on a pair of gold cromadoras. But I think Robert nailed it on the head that it doesn't match well on a car with all the silver trim.

I know I love the combination on a Ferrari P4.

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Alfatruck,

Those gold Campagnolos are stunning....did you refinish them yourself? Are these available in reproduction somewhere?

·
Registered
55 Posts
there MAG 14x7's we shot a green foundation then colored them in Ferrari gold, next we cleared them in a special wheel clear. We sourced the decals and caps. And that was it. They are going on a nice green stepper. The kicker is were are putting a goodyear polyglas era correct raised white letter tire on them. The effect is, we want the car to look like it is in 1967. Oh and there is no chrome on this car. Smesta is very right on the opinion.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts