Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a cold damp thursday morning, My alfa 33 16v became the lastest addition to the list of dead 16v's in New Zealand. I was the last car in a long line of traffic out the front of my High school on Woburn road, the road was damp, i looked in my rear view mirror when i heard the distinctive sound of locked wheels coming up behind me. I braced myself for the impact, knowing the inevitable was about to happen :mad: . The result can be seen below. Now i am patiently awaiting a call from the other partys insurance company, to find out whether its a write off or not. Going from the damage to the boot floor and rear panel and crossmember, im guessing it will be. the chassis rails may be damaged even! :(

IMG_0556s.jpg

IMG_0557s.jpg

IMG_0558s.jpg

IMG_0560s.jpg

IMG_0559s.jpg

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
more pics

IMG_0561s.jpg

IMG_0562s.jpg

What do you think? Write off? Does anybody in NZ have another 33 16v for sale? they are addictive cars. at least now if it gets written off i get cash and parts for the race car.

·
Registered
498 Posts
That's what happened to the 16v wreck I bought! Almost exact same damage.

Sorry to hear though. It's one of the worst thing about alfa's, is that everyone is different and most of the time it's not just as easy as 'getting' another one.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hi,

Doesn't look that bad ... Looks like the hatch has survived the impact and you will roughly need a new bumper and rear panel. What about the spare wheel well? is it bent ?

In my opinion it is a pity to have this car written off ... after all there is no structural malformation of the chassis.

Regards

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The rear panel and crossmember are bent and the spare wheel well is pushed right up into the spare wheel, looking underneath to my eye the chassis rail looks like it has been pushed up aswell.
I hope they dint take it aswell, the main reason i bought this car is that is has the rebuilt engine which is going to be transplanted into my sprint. i guess i can buy it back of them if they do though. :( Are they normally really cheap once they have been written off? Because it must be more of a help to them for me to keep it cause them they dont have to deal with it.

Richard

·
Registered
222 Posts
That's really not too bad at all. It depends what you have the car insured for.

All the bent structure can be pulled back into shape with a chassis rig. They repair much worse.

I'd be very happy if someone rear ended my sud and that was all the damage they caused. It could have been worse. Landcruiser with a bullbar anyone? ::(

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
Going to School Can Be Dangerous!!!

...I hope they dint take it aswell, the main reason i bought this car is that is has the rebuilt engine which is going to be transplanted into my sprint. i guess i can buy it back of them if they do though. :( Are they normally really cheap once they have been written off? Because it must be more of a help to them for me to keep it cause them they dont have to deal with it.

Richard
In the US it is reasonably cheap to buy a "total" back from the insurance company that wrote it off; however, it will have a salvaged title, which may or may not be a concern, depending on if you intend to keep the car indefinitely or intend to sell it. The latter may create problems....

As far as it being a problem for them; they simply send it to the crusher or junk yard.

·
Registered
103 Posts
We warned you about this Richard! Just three weeks ago, as we wrecked another 16v 33, we warned you that you wouldn't be able to kill this car when the time came, and that you were addicted. Now, the car is dead, and you can't let go.

Clearly some form of intervention is required here - how about you drive a Daewoo for the next 6 weeks, and then we'll see if you're cured...

Chris

1 - 10 of 10 Posts