Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering if there are any other "while I'm at it" projects I should consider while doing this besides flushing the coolant.

On that note, is there any coolant that I should or should not use in replacing it?

·
Registered
897 Posts
Marc -

Thermostat is right up top, and accessible, so there's not much that's inaccessible in your way, etc. Of course, check condition of hoses, etc. Pull the lower radiator hose, and of course, dispose of nasty fluids in an environmentally friendly way. Any bubbles or cracks in the hoses and they must be replaced. Or spring for $49 for a AAA Membership and cross your fingers. My bet is do both. I've replaced tired coolant hoses with fresh ones and had issues just the same. It defies logic, but there it is - there actually is some logic to "if it ain't broke...". I find that sometimes, wait until it breaks is better than, fix it and raise more issues.

Just remember to open your heater valve, get the car hot, drain the coolant, flush...flush with water again, and top up with standard coolant (none of that orange Dexron or whatever) and distilled water. Then bleed (if applicable) and you're good to go.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
New washer for the water pump bleeder bolt as they usually don't seem last more than a couple uses, at least in my hands anyway, new copper washer (or old one annealed if it's not all sharp edges and stuff) for the throttle body bleed screw, a good lookover of the o-ring on the T-stat housing (or am I thinking a different year again?)

Might not hurt to throw a quick backflush at the heater core too while the coolant is drained and things are all apart and soggy wet anyway.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Im am thinking of doing the same on my 86. I was wondering what temperature thermostst to use? Ive found a few different tems. What is the stock temp?

Murray Caps & Stats - Standard Thermostat
Part # : 3416
Line: MCS
Alternate Temperature
160 Degree
Online:
Not Sold Online

Store:
Call Store For Details
Add to Shopping List Call for pricing
& availability
(925) 240-6530
Part # : 3417
Alternate Temperature
170 Degree
Online:
Not Sold Online

Store:
Call Store For Details
& availability
(925) 240-6530
Part # : 3418
1 Year Limited Warranty
Oe Temperature
180 Degree
Online:
Not Sold Online

Store:
Call Store For Details
Add to Shopping List
$16.99 Each

Call for
availability
(925) 240-6530
Gates - Premium Thermostat
Part # : 33208
Line: GAT
1 Year Limited Warranty
180 Degree
Online:
Not Sold Online

Store:
Call Store For Details
& availability
(925) 240-6530

·
Registered
31 Posts
....And don't forget that by-pass hose. When I bought my '85 Spider, it was an accident ready to happen. Oil had softened it, and it was ready to pop. I've noticed there are a couple of different versions, and if you get the one with the larger diameter mid-section, don't forget to extract the brass flow regulator from your old hose and install it in the new one. Or extract it and save it even if you don't need it - someone else just might. ;)

There's also the elbow hose from the throttle body to the t'stat housing that should be replaced. You may find one on eBay, or match it up at your favorite auto parts store. At the time I did this, Centerline or International Auto didn't have a replacement.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
NewAlfaOwner... According to the shop manuals for an 86, the initial opening temperature is 178-185 degrees and fully open at 203 degrees.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advice guys! I will be heading up to Centerline on Monday to buy some hoses and get to work!

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Attn: New Alfa Owner-

Hold on- none of those thermostats in the list are correct for your car. The Alfa thermostat is incorporated into the aluminum inlet in the intake manifold, and they don't come in an assortment of temperature values. They are a special order item if available at all through national retailers. You need to go through a specialty parts retailer like International, Centerline, or Vick Auto, and they range somewhere in the $34 dollar range, plus shipping.

·
Registered
what part?
9,994 Posts
i got tired of that alfa thurmostate - housing.. went to a local pick and pull, got a housing off a 1976 toyota celica.. same bolt pattern, and outlet direction.. and it also looks like a housing of a newer hyundia sonata 2006 4 cly housing also might work( just worked on my freinds hyundia over the weekend) this way i can get just thrumostate, easyer and cheaper..also the advantage, if it go'es on a vacation/ long drive i can replace it anywhere..

·
Registered
31 Posts
AnthonyR - you are absolutely right, and I thought the temperature list was bogus.

It is a shame $-wise no one sells just the t'stat itself, which does pop out if you press against the spring and turn. I still have the correct one I bought for my '85 and it's still good. I hate to part with it since I buffed the housing. I myself would rather keep installing the pedigree t'stat, but some people may want to do the alternative, so thanks to bianchi1.

Since the subject has been brought up, does anyone know which t'stat is correct for a '78 AR Spider? I bought the car in Fresno 1 1/2 years ago, and it has a housing w/t'stat similar to my '85's. I went to a parts store when driving it back to Va. to get a replacement, and it did not fit. Supposedly the same part #for a few M.Y. Mustangs. Even Centerline told me I had a non-stock t'stat & housing on the car. It seems funny someone would go to a more difficult application, but runs true for the poor car that had a lost title, a pilot owner that didn't have time for it, etc.

Thanks for any help on that.

BTW, I've always liked Lurch. :p

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
You rang?

The earlier Spider takes the more conventional style thermst, but it requires a rubber gasket that fits around the outer edge of it that isn't that common(in addition to the obvious housing to manifold gasket). It's possible that the national retailer might be more likely to get that one, but whether the rubber gasket will be included is anyone's guess. Go to the IAP site and you'll see the two styles of thermostats.

·
Registered
31 Posts
......Mail's In!

Thanks Lurch...er...AnthonyR!

I haven't checked IAP's on-line photo, if they have one, and I see the '78 Spider's t'stat is $20 - and I would think they have that rubber gasket, and I'll find out. My Toyota pick-up has a t'stat & rubber gasket around it like that.

I do think somebody put the wrong housing on my '78. Thanks for your help!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts