Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
About 3 years and less than 15,000 miles ago I bought a DiFatta air inlet hose for a 24v Alfa 164, 3.0 manual, 1994. It started showing signs of perishing within a year and began suspecting it had split. Ridiculous considering the original lasted 20 years before failing.
Today, having been donated a silicon air-inlet hose from another Alfa nut, I took the DiFatta item off and found it had split in two places, with imminent further splits on the way. How glad was I to have been given the replacement? Very!

Not only does this silicon item look really well made, the inner tract is also smoother than even the original Alfa item so should, I assume, help with airflow too. It is made of 4 layers on the AFM end and five on the throttle body end - flexible yet strong. The fit is perfect and have no doubt it will last for a long time. In fact, I liked it so much I asked my friend where he got it so could pass the info on here - maybe Jason would consider importing a batch for you guys in the States?

In any case, the guy's name is Michael Pasaric and he is based in Croatia.
Phone:+38513313237
Email:[email protected]

My understanding is this is his speciality and, given the quality of the item I now have, he seems to be extremely good at it. Posting few pics - it's not on a car right now so just ask if you want more.

·
Premium Member
16,166 Posts
Well, that is interesting. Wonder if it is as flexible as the OEM? Might be interested. I have a new spare "in the bag" OEM S hose, but I think not for the LS (would have to check). Actually, I'm still running the S, LS, and Milano with the originals, as they have not failed. I do drench them in Armorall every couple of years. I think that stuff works for preserving rubber parts (evidently to reduce the outgassing of the plasticizer chemicals in the material). Time to do all the rubber/plastic parts in the cars again.

This one might be a good replacement for the LS, depending on price. Jason?

BTW, that cracked one looks really really old, all dried out. Maybe stored unprotected in a hot area for years.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Interesting. My hose does not have cracks but the material is stiff; wondering if the sealing at the joints is efficient. I will be looking at a rubber "shim" between the inlet hose and metal joint points. Then again, if you suspect yours may be getting ratty, you could spray the exterior with rubber coating?

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My original Alfa hose went stiff before it split. Was also split for some time before I discovered it as the split was on the underside. If yours is still whole would make sense to spray it with some kind of rubber preserver/rejuvinator and avoid it splitting in the first place.

And Del, the perished one shown was not old at all. It was from a batch of replacement new parts made by DiFatta and looked perfect when it arrived, if a little thin rubber wise. To perish the way it did so quickly is simply an indicator of them using the wrong type of rubber in the first place. Looks like rubber that biodegrades - great for the environment, in theory, yet totally rubbish in practice as means doesn't last and a new item has to be manufactured.

With original Alfa items no longer available am glad to have found a well made silicon to replace the rubbish one.

·
Premium Member
16,166 Posts
"the perished one shown was not old at all. It was from a batch of replacement new parts made by DiFatta and looked perfect when it arrived"

Got it. A shame, as the difatta replacement looked good. I wonder what the silicon version costs?

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Was total shame with the difatta item. Why go to all the expense of making the mould etc and then pour the wrong rubber into it?
The cost is about the same. My friend paid about £80 for the silicon unit so about $100? plus delivery/import costs? Am stripping down the top end/cam side of motor so going to be a while before all running again but will post comments when is.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Problem. Desoite all appearing perfect off the car, even next to the DiFatta hose, I can't get it to fit well. Tried resorting to cutting sections off each end to get better alignment, which has helped but what to do now? If cut off any more it will become too short.

You can see from how the airfilter box is sitting that it does not want to sit in the right position. Anyone see me doing anything obviously wrong here? Anyone have their 24v hose positioned differently, i.e. turned more so the two small pipes sit closer to the false firewall?

Leaving like this overnight to see if it 'settles' a bit and considering using a heatgun to help it ease into positon. How hard can it be to get inlet hose joy, since Alfa disconintued the originals...?

·
Premium Member
16,166 Posts
Ah, pity. I wonder if Difatta still has the molds or whatever they used. If possible, use those molds and a better rubber material? Silicon?

Reactions: richardbradford

·
Premium Member
14,666 Posts
I had a Greg Gordon Silicone hose on my GTV6. It was high quality and fit perfectly but I think that he got out of that business.

Reactions: richardbradford

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Richardbradford. I don'r believe silicone will "settle". You may have to loosen the lower airbox mounting nuts, sit the adapter so you have a good fit and reposition the airbox mounting holes afew mm one way or another. As long as teh airbox doesn't interfere with anything else, should be fine.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
"Ah, pity. I wonder if Difatta still has the molds or whatever they used. If possible, use those molds and a better rubber material? Silicon? "
Yes, Del, was a real shame the rubber used by Difatta was the wrong type as fit was great.
Beeton, thanks for the info about the silicon not settling - was concerned that might be the case. Even if the silicon itself could settle, the fibre re-inforcement is going to resist it... Such a shame and not really any scope to reposition the airbox to adapt. It sits in a fixed mounting that has some leeway but the lower half of the airbox is already hard over and top half still out of alignment.
Right now resigned to refitted the Difatta item, patched, until can work out what to do - will probably end up cutting and rejoining the silicon hose with shaped tubing. Think the silicon item was moulded to suit the original hose, without allowing for how much the original hose can flex to accommodate good fitment. Such a shame.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
If it gets to the point where the silicone hose will be abandoned, you can cut one end, position everything and tape the seam. Then, apply rtv to the inside of the seam. Kind of a patch job in case nothing else is available.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
If it gets to the point where the silicone hose will be abandoned, you can cut one end, position everything and tape the seam. Then, apply rtv to the inside of the seam. Kind of a patch job in case nothing else is available.
That is a great idea. Sorry for being thick but what is RTV? Some kind of tape? OK, just searched for it and going to buy a roll. Not going to apply inside the hose unless am convinced won't come loose and get sucked in - that wouldn't be good. Thanks for info. Great help.

·
Premium Member
16,166 Posts
It does look like with that silicon version, the end at the air filter could be cut just a little shorter at an angle on the side toward the coolant tank, and it would make the top of the filter housing align better. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Hopefully yes as cutting and splicing is a last resort. odd that it doesn't line up if it were in fact designed to fit and not a "universal" one. Lots of those out there. RTV when cured is durable but you gotta be careful there are no flakes AS they may peel off of the inner tube.

·
Premium Member
16,166 Posts
Are you really sure that the Croation hose is for a 24V, and not perhaps a 12V?

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi, Del.
It has the larger 24v bore sizes and looked a perfect fit against the original unit. Was also sold quoting the 24v part number so guess am as sure as can be.
Think cutting it on the expansion tank side would make the alignment even worse, as it needs to turn away from the tank rather than more towards it.

Beeton, have looked into getting the silicon tape and was thinking to avoid applying it to the inner surface. Am also losing faith in the idea of a silicon inlet hose as should these items not have more flexibility than silicon offers?

·
Premium Member
16,166 Posts
"Think cutting it on the expansion tank side would make the alignment even worse, as it needs to turn away from the tank rather than more towards it"

Looks to me like all it would do is allow the filter box top rotate counterclockwise a little to better align with the lower half of the filter box. Plus making it slightly shorter would move the lid slightly closer to the throttle housing, also to better align. What do you have to lose, as it is unusable now.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi, yes, sorry, Del. Coffee obviously hadn't kicked in when wrote that, as realised when opened the bonnet afterwards.
Have taken silicon one off and put old one on, patched, and going to buy a some universal join sections for it.
Cheers.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi, yes, sorry, Del. Coffee obviously hadn't kicked in when wrote that, as realised when opened the bonnet afterwards.
Have taken silicon one off and put old one on, patched, and going to buy a some universal join sections for it.
Cheers.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts