Alfa Romeo Forums banner

101 - 120 of 226 Posts

·
Registered
11,661 Posts
One product I've found very good is the cheap old spray on degreaser ... not for a modern car with all the electrics but old cars like this and everything looks like new in minutes. No need for powder coating. Maybe we should chuck some American iron in this car as aluminium is hated so much ... lol

And Genericwood ... I am who I am, for the better or the worst :surprise:

And I'm confused, as I thought we were building a race car ... my reading comprehension appears to have failed me again :)
Pete

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Hi all Loving this thread. Just wanted to stick my oar in here about clean and cleaning. I entered my GT1600 (insert picture) in an event (show shine concourse) and before the day arrived I spent over 2 days with my car, on my hoist, cleaning every single part of it. It wasn't hard, but I wanted every thing spotless, and you know the judges didn't even bother to bend down to have a look. Conclusion the only person that is going to see your beautiful, clean underside, is someone not paying attention when they step off the kerb in front of you, and you run over them.Personally I don't think they would be too interested at that particular time.>:)
I'd have looked underneath and appreciated the effort.. And any water blasting or powder coat 👍🏼

Would love to see this car one day, mine is supposed to be this colour

·
Registered
11 Posts
One product I've found very good is the cheap old spray on degreaser ... not for a modern car with all the electrics but old cars like this and everything looks like new in minutes. No need for powder coating. Maybe we should chuck some American iron in this car as aluminium is hated so much ... lol

And Genericwood ... I am who I am, for the better or the worst :surprise:

And I'm confused, as I thought we were building a race car ... my reading comprehension appears to have failed me again :)
Pete
Is your racing about quickest lap-times or about having fun in your car?
Personally im after the grin more than the win.
I assume your car has no paint and only one seat?

·
Registered
770 Posts
Pfft. Nice work for your second-ever post in eleven years. Can we stop dissing people and get back to the car, please?

·
Registered
11,661 Posts
Well it has a thin coat of primer and no seats ... :D ... But I won't be racing this one.

But the last car I raced had as many lightening holes as I could fit in, and had a specially made light fibreglass body that had less layers than normal and no gel coat (yes I spoke to the makers and once they understood my reasons, they took great delight in making it as light as possible) ... and also no paint on the inside ... ended up only 12 kgs over the class weight limit :)
Pete

·
Registered
719 Posts
Would love to see this car one day, mine is supposed to be this colour[/QUOTE]

Hi Craig I did send you a P.M. once with my mobile number when you asked me a question but you must not have gotten it.I'll try again.
P.S. no more high jacking from me.

·
Premium Member
5,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
Wow, lots to comment on..

The car:
First, I'm not sure I ever said this was a race car. It definitely will be raced on a race track but it also will spend a fair amount of time on the street and may show up at a show or two (if we can finish it quickly enough!). There will be equal parts of awe and outrage with this build. Lots of race stuff to go fast, stop fast and be safe doing it but lots of amenities like leather interior, AC, power windows (btw, actually lighter than the manual regulators) that the racers will bristle at. Some might say it's a compromise but when it goes really fast and looks great doing it, where's the compromise?

The man:
The owner is a serious and successful race car driver, his main race car can peel the skin off your face (Viper ASR). He is also a highly respected automotive exec who spends his long long days overseeing some of the most significant designs in the industries. What's really cool about this is he's no check book racer. He's building a significant percentage of the car with his own hands including all the electrical, the interior and a really hot Twinspark . In an age when the auto industry is dominated by accountants, finance guys and lawyers (sorry to all my A, F, &L friends ?) it's refreshing and encouraging to know that there are still gear heads in positions of authority.

Personally I'm having a ball! I love being challenged and helping to make someone's ideas and dreams come to life.

·
Registered
432 Posts
gprocket- I've seen in this thread (?) some of the pieces but are you and/or the owner/driver willing to share any details on the twinspark buildup ? Always interested in those details and the results. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
gprocket- I've seen in this thread (?) some of the pieces but are you and/or the owner/driver willing to share any details on the twinspark buildup ? Always interested in those details and the results. Thanks.
I will certainly ask. I don't think there are any secrets but as we all know, all racers are liers !!

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Wow, lots to comment on..

The car:
First, I'm not sure I ever said this was a race car. It definitely will be raced on a race track but it also will spend a fair amount of time on the street and may show up at a show or two (if we can finish it quickly enough!). There will be equal parts of awe and outrage with this build. Lots of race stuff to go fast, stop fast and be safe doing it but lots of amenities like leather interior, AC, power windows (btw, actually lighter than the manual regulators) that the racers will bristle at. Some might say it's a compromise but when it goes really fast and looks great doing it, where's the compromise?

The man:
The owner is a serious and successful race car driver, his main race car can peel the skin off your face (Viper ASR). He is also a highly respected automotive exec who spends his long long days overseeing some of the most significant designs in the industries. What's really cool about this is he's no check book racer. He's building a significant percentage of the car with his own hands including all the electrical, the interior and a really hot Twinspark . In an age when the auto industry is dominated by accountants, finance guys and lawyers (sorry to all my A, F, &L friends ?) it's refreshing and encouraging to know that there are still gear heads in positions of authority.

Personally I'm having a ball! I love being challenged and helping to make someone's ideas and dreams come to life.
well thats not very hard to figure if you been around alfas long enough. :) this fellow RG had a modded up 69gtv that he would to the track all the time. it was pretty quick with a near race spec motor but still a street car with full leather interior. knowing waterford like the back of his hand helped too.

he sold the 69 to fellow in Illinois about 15 years go if memory serves and when i spoke to him awhile back he said he missed that car dearly. i bumped into his wife last year, and she said that he found another gtv. i reckon you are recreating another toy for him with the latest in go-fast parts?

·
Premium Member
6,348 Posts
My favorite bend the rules story is when Smokey Yunick was challenged by France after a race for using an illegal camshaft. He reached into the tub he had put the questioned cam in and brought up a legal cam he had put in before the race. Well I guess he didn't bend the rules but it's one of the multitude of stories in his autobiography. One of the best books I ever read.

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
Appropriate comment: the powder coated tranny sure looks good.

Thread hijack: I'm pretty sure I know who this person is. And good for him for being a hands-on enthusiast. Also, didn't he have a modified mini-van that lapped Waterford very quickly?

well thats not very hard to figure if you been around alfas long enough. :) this fellow RG had a modded up 69gtv that he would to the track all the time. it was pretty quick with a near race spec motor but still a street car with full leather interior. knowing Waterford like the back of his hand helped too.

he sold the 69 to fellow in Illinois about 15 years go if memory serves and when i spoke to him awhile back he said he missed that car dearly. i bumped into his wife last year, and she said that he found another gtv. i reckon you are recreating another toy for him with the latest in go-fast parts?

·
Premium Member
5,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
Still waiting for carbon fiber parts so our progress has slowed to some degree. Still a lot of details to iron out.

The AH aluminum radiator with condenser, oil cooler and pusher fan all in one presented some fit up issues. We had to remove structure on both sides of the radiator and rebuild the frame.

romeo34.jpg

romeo30.jpg

romeo31.jpg

romeo32.jpg

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Nice, will you do this with the floors/inner sills too?

101 - 120 of 226 Posts