Alfa Romeo Forums banner

181 - 200 of 236 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #181
Beautiful work and an entertaining yet informative read!

Question on door gap and alignment:

Did you do the initial pre-painting door alignment while the body was on the rotisserie or on the wood cart? Does it matter for door alignment that the body wasn't resting on the suspension points?

Thanks!
My experience is in a coupe, the door jams are stable so long as inner/middle rockers are in decent shape. In this particular project we used carbon fiber doors, hood, trunk so all the work on the gaps had to be done on the sheet metal. Furthermore, we replaced the rear wings altogether which introduced more variables (we had a LOT of massaging to do to get them to fit despite the excellent quality of the stampings). This was a very challenging project from that perspective and if not for Nate's genius and fearlessness would have been a non-starter.

BTW, as nice as this car looked when it rolled into the shop, it was a literal deathtrap. The front suspension points were so badly rusted that a good pot hole hit would have taken out the whole front end. Very scary and frankly very unethical. I don't know who did the original "restoration" but it clearly was not an oversight... Still makes me mad thinking about it...

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
Yeah - I read the thread beginning to end last night. Great read...thanks for taking the time to document it. That splicing and filler metal of the rear fender seemed quite the odyssey. A little frightening in fact. You guys pulled it off amazingly.

And no excuse for those suspension mounts...criminal, really.

As an aside, did you ever get any live streaming or other video going for this project? If so, pass along the URL. Would be an interesting view.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
13,449 Posts
It is a beautiful car and a testament to your skill. Congratulations!

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
And that motor!
Just think of all of those discrete molecules of hydrocarbons and air combining and under the perfect conditions suddenly oxidizing with a bang.
At six thousand revs.
Sigh.
:)

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Okay....

... are these Alfaholics 15” GTAM reps, and if so... how the hell did they get under the rear, was something changed, re engineered??

I was told (by AH) it can’t be done!!!
I really want some on my Duetto (inc. the Nord twinspark.. which I also have)

·
Premium Member
5,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #188
Okay....

... are these Alfaholics 15” GTAM reps, and if so... how the hell did they get under the rear, was something changed, re engineered??

I was told (by AH) it can’t be done!!!
I really want some on my Duetto (inc. the Nord twinspark.. which I also have)
I was waiting on someone to comment on the wheels. And at this point - I have no comment! Other than to say that those are not the GTaM 15" wheels offered by AH or others...

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I was waiting on someone to comment on the wheels. And at this point - I have no comment! Other than to say that those are not the GTaM 15" wheels offered by AH or others...
HA!!

FFS.. oh well, I can wait. I’ve waited this long :)

·
Registered
11,881 Posts
gprocket said:
HA!!

FFS.. oh well, I can wait. I’ve waited this long :)
Now I'm really curious :)

Pete

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I like this bloke (the owner).

I want a set!
I bet a group by would see 100’s of sets ordered... are you listening AH or ClassicAlfa??

·
Premium Member
5,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #194 (Edited)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Cool.

Thought they were one-offs. Think these will be popular: GTAm ? Ntm Wheels

RG wasn't the only one envisioning something like this. Glad he had the wherewithal to make it happen, with your assistance! A 14" option would do well among the 105/115 owners, too, I'd think.

·
Registered
11,881 Posts
Beautifully styled wheels for 'Resto' Alfa...... they also have an interesting 1600 in their gallery! :wink2:
Not going to be enough Alfa in that car to still be called an Alfa, surely. Pity they didn't just create a spaceframe chassis and put a fibreglass body on it that looked like a 105 series ...

Pete

181 - 200 of 236 Posts