Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my long list of things to do on my Berlina, the windshield trim is coming up. The photo shows how it came with the car. I'm thinking that reshaping it won't be too difficult, as metal-working tasks go. Any suggestions? Things to do or not do? My thought is to straighten the pieces, short segment by short segment, between pieces of wood, then bend them to fit, probably with purpose-built wooden fixtures or maybe over the windshield itself. (As shown by the hazy reflection of the light on the hood, paint is on the list of things to do, too, but lower.)

Mark
1971 1750 Berlina
1972 Fiat 124 Spider

·
Premium Member
2,633 Posts
I'm not a trim expert but I don't think that trim will ever be usable again. I'm fairly certain that I have a set of glue-in trim behind a bunch of stuff in my attic. If you can wait till the middle of next week, I can check then. I'd sell it pretty cheap since I'll never use it. I'm sure that there are others out there that have a set as well. Where are you located?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm in Massachusetts. I started working on them, and I feel pretty good about how it's going, but it's really too early to tell for sure.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Well, I'm getting there. Still some waviness to get out, but it's doable. (I'm not aiming at concourse, of course.) I'm getting close enough to have started working on the top driver's side piece to conform it to the profile of the windshield, but that has brought up a question. Is the trim installed more or less parallel to the windshield surface? (By that, I mean do the inner and outer flat portions of the underside of the trim end up parallel to the windshield surface?) I imagine so, but that leaves a pretty big cavity underneath the trim, in the channel. Is that cavity filled with adhesive? That seems like a lot of adhesive, but if not, then the outside edge of the trim just abuts the body, with I guess a bead of adhesive on the body. That doesn't seem very secure. I've tried to look at windshield pics online, but it's hard to tell what's going on underneath the trim in those pics.

Mark

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,646 Posts
That is great work! Does anyone sell windshields, glue in or gasket, in the US?

·
Premium Member
23,226 Posts
Glue in, no. I had a used one I sold to a friend to replace his sand-blasted one, but I haven't seen a new one in 15 years. Gasket type, Mr Fiat lists them.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
23,226 Posts
For info,
Small, gasketed glass is FW 00249, just over 21" at center. This is for all Giulias, US 69 Berlina, and all non-US Berlinas.
Large, glued glass is FW 00302, just under 22" at center. This is for US Berlina 71-74.
I have seen variance of 1/4" or so but these are the approx. right sizes. The body opening in all is the same, so if you have the right combo of glass, trim, gasket (or not) you can put any glass in any body.
Andrew

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks! Here's where it stands now. There's a little waviness, and I've got more adhesive to clean up and the joint pieces to make if I can't find them (the corners are in the garage somewhere!), but I'm satisfied.
Mark

·
Registered
169 Posts
Nice work Mark!

·
Registered
4,675 Posts
For info,
Small, gasketed glass is FW 00249, just over 21" at center. This is for all Giulias, US 69 Berlina, and all non-US Berlinas.
Large, glued glass is FW 00302, just under 22" at center. This is for US Berlina 71-74.
I have seen variance of 1/4" or so but these are the approx. right sizes. The body opening in all is the same, so if you have the right combo of glass, trim, gasket (or not) you can put any glass in any body.
Andrew
The original Gasketed glass from my 69 Canadian Spec Super was 21-3/8 in middle. New one by Pilkington from Alfaholics is a little less (will enter size here later). Re Originals also lists gasket type as Available. Is the centre joiner the same as on GTV and is so I may have 1 or 2.

Ken

·
Registered
4,675 Posts
Thanks! Here's where it stands now. There's a little waviness, and I've got more adhesive to clean up and the joint pieces to make if I can't find them (the corners are in the garage somewhere!), but I'm satisfied.
Mark

View attachment 1690142
You have done and amazing looking job. You need to give use a step by step account.

Ciao

Ken

·
Premium Member
2,633 Posts
Had to move about 30 boxes in my attic to get to it but yeah, it was there. Still has a bunch of rubber glue on the backside and a few minor scratches but it looks straight and still has the corner and middle joint pieces. I may just fabricate a reinforced shipping box for it and offer it up now that I've dug it out. Not quite as bad to ship as the very long pieces for the gasketed Supers and Berlinas. You need a set, Andrew?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts