Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
People,

Hopefully, last frantic fix for the alfa before shipment tomorrow-glove box light wont light when that box door opens, not sure if this is normal, but bulb appears NOT burnt/filament is intact. On/off switch is intact. I get no voltage at the bulb terminals. Fuses appeared/checked out OK also. Geez.........

Meanwhile, Im vacuuming/polishing.....

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,918 Posts
You know it only works with the headlights on, correct?

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,541 Posts
Check for power to the switch not just at the contacts for the bulb. Clean the contacts in the switch if it's not any of the above.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You know it only works with the headlights on, correct?
I didnt know that. Kinda goofy setup though, I mean, what if one wants to get his "driving gloves" out at night before he turns engine on to drive? hehe

I'll try it......done with vacuuming......

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
that was quick.....headlights on, no light. headlights on-no voltage measured at switch.

Dead switch/defective?

·
Premium Member
16,232 Posts
And there won't be voltage at the switch cause it completes the ground circuit, not the power circuit.
Check for power at the bulb. If one side has power, then check the other side for continuity to ground thru the switch.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And there won't be voltage at the switch cause it completes the ground circuit, not the power circuit.
Check for power at the bulb. If one side has power, then check the other side for continuity to ground thru the switch.
Tanks, Jim! (hows it going up there, ol bud!).

lemme try this.........

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
continuity good (with headlights on). What now.....(?) (if it gets to Cali without glove box lights, oh no!!)

·
Premium Member
16,232 Posts
Wiring diagrams show glovebox light is powered through ignition switch, NOT headlights. Try it again with the key on.

·
Premium Member
6,541 Posts
DA! that's what I meant to say:) really! check for power to bulb. engaged fingers before brain. Check continuity of bulb itself too. I've seen bulbs that look good not work so good.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,918 Posts
Wiring diagrams show glovebox light is powered through ignition switch, NOT headlights. Try it again with the key on.

D'oh! You're right, I was thinking of the trunk light!

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Youre not alone......Im feeling Duhhhh too. It works!!!!!

Yeah, I never though ignition needs to be on. Tanksguys!! Theyre pickin it up this morning at about 10AM!!!!! (sadness.....)

·
Premium Member
6,541 Posts
At least you care enough to take care of stuff like that, tip of the hat:)

·
Premium Member
6,541 Posts
Is it a bullet type bulb? Try cleaning the contacts. did you say you were getting 12v to one side of the tabs. Do you have continutiy on the other side to ground through the switch when you open the glove box?

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks, but post #14 above, I said "it works"! Figurured out (with members' help)the ignition had to be on.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts