Alfa Romeo Forums banner

861 - 880 of 1356 Posts

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
"Cherry Picking"??

It covers individual years 2015 and four years prior.
This is your citation - please be aware of what you are posting.

You are apparently also mis-reading the chart. Look the downward trends in the bottom of the "bowl" shape and how it is significantly lower than the grey shaded average.

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
Here we go again.

Some four weeks ago I posted that the seasonal decline in Arctic ice coverage seemed to have changed.

The change is becoming more evident, which is that in March this year's postings were well under the one-standard deviation band.

Now the latest posting is just within the band.

More time on this would suggest that ice coverage is returning to something that could be called normal.

"Warmers" should begin to sense some relief to their concerns.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Some four weeks ago I posted that the seasonal decline in Arctic ice coverage seemed to have changed.
Invalid conclusion. Too short of a time, focus on one month, excludes what is happening elsewhere in the world etc and is therefore invalid.

subtle said:
...is that in March this year's postings
Cherry picking, yet again.

subtie said:
More time on this would suggest that ice coverage is returning to something that could be called normal.
You apparently are not looking at what's been posted-your citation as well as the one that I posted clearly show a downward trend. Please make sure to review and be familiar with the material posted, because what you just asserted is completely at odds with all the material here.

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
Saturday's National Post ( Page A 9, July 18) had a story on a young woman who had escaped from North Korea.

"All of her education and all of the propaganda told her that North Korea was the greatest country on Earth, that its leader could change the weather, that her homeland was a beacon of light among a world immersed in darkness."

"'I believed we were the most privileged human beings--but they are dying from starvation on the street? It didn't make sense to me at all,' she says."

The ability to change the weather seems modest compared to the ability to change the climate.

·
Push hard and live
8,932 Posts
I burst out laughing when I read this, nearly spilling my coffee when I did.

"You apparently are not looking at what's been posted-your citation as well as the one that I posted clearly show a downward trend. Please make sure to review and be familiar with the material posted, because what you just asserted is completely at odds with all the material here. "

Skippy seems to believe he's in charge here and has the right to instruct others in what to say and how to say it. ("Please make sure to review and be familiar with all of the material posted...")
When he says Subtle's posts are "completely at odds with all the material here", that would be the material he has posted, and NOT "ALL" of the materials. Might that be "cherry picking"?
Skippy appears to believe that simply pronouncing something as "cherry picking", "strawman", or "ad hominem", etc. makes it so. It appears these are really his only arguments, and they are intended to bludgeon his perceived opposition into surrender. This is not a rational way to engage.

Subtle, why do you bother? Skippy has thoroughly killed this thread as a place for civil exchange regarding the header subject. Still, all he does is insult by his condescension. I tried to point out his hypocrisy and logic flaws, but all that gets is another ten tons of repetitive insults.

Maybe if we all just walk away, he'll find something better to do. Well. I bet he won't, but it's better than this......

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
Only posts when on the attack.

Always dogma from the authoritarian side. Still has trouble with trends and trend changes.

As noted, Antarctic ice cover has spent a lot of the past year at record highs which extends the uptrend.

Arctic ice coverage, for this date, is the highest its been in some five years.

I'm sticking with the concept that sea water freezes because of cold air, not by warm fresh water.

·
Push hard and live
8,932 Posts
Eating red meat causes global warming

Next there will be a carbon tax on carbonated beverages, soda stream machines and fire suppression systems.
I'm sticking with the menopausal/hot flashing women, as discussed by Scientific American about a decade or more ago. A perfect correlation to global warming over thousands of years.

Thus, we are faced with a solution that costs more than we are willing to pay. Or able to pay.

·
Registered
6,598 Posts
When did he change the thread title to "The science of Global Warming"

Perhaps he should start just such a thread

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
It wasn't too many years ago when if you denied "Global Warming" the passionate would think that you were denying that the climate had been actually warming. Pointing that warming had been on for some 12,000 would perplex the faithful.

Whew!

But as with anything in intense political differences, skeptics have heard both sides of the story.

The following is recent. From "Science Daily", April 30, 2015.

"The rapidly accelerating rates at which the ice is melting, and in the light of all of the other, well-publicized lines of evidence, most scientists would be hard pressed to find mechanisms that do not include human-made climate change."

"In Antarctica, its the ocean currents rather than air temperatures that melt the ice, and melted land ice contributed to higher sea levels in a way that melting ice bergs don't."

Even as recent as April, the writer and publication had not noticed that for most of the last 12 months Antarctic ice cover has been at record high levels. Repeat "record".

Since March, Arctic ice cover has reached the greatest in five years and the Northern melt season will end in, or close to, September.

"rapidly accelerating rates...of melting"

Only one cause "human-made climate change".

Policy-based evidence?

Policy-based conclusions?

As recent as April.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Only posts when on the attack.
That is a strawman argument, I have only responded to the incorrect assertions made and instances of made up/junk science.

Please do not make up clearly inaccurate things.

It is exceptionally common that when confronted with actual science climate change deniers will contradict themselves and resort to making personal attacks. For example of this please see:

Always dogma from the authoritarian side. Still has trouble with trends and trend changes.
Subtle said:
Up since the 1970s, flat since 1996.
Subtle said:
no material increase since 1996
Subtle said:
the others had a slight rising trend.
Here is what is actually happening.

subtle said:
Arctic ice coverage, for this date, is the highest its been in some five years.
"If you keep your data base short enough, it will fit your theory."

Here is what is actually happening - clearly downward

http://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/2010/06/arctic-sea-ice-extent-declines-rapidly-in-may-2/

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Wow - this is a great example of climate change denier "logic" at work in four (4) easy steps:

Step #1 - misquote the source. What you have written below is NOT from the source. What you quoted is from a known climate change denier and junk science site.

Step #2 - get the science wrong.

Even as recent as April, the writer and publication had not noticed that for most of the last 12 months Antarctic ice cover has been at record high levels.
Notice ice cover, not mass. It is mass that is the real issue (although there is a feedback look related to ice coverage that matters).

Step 3 - ignore what the science actually says.

actual science paper said:
West Antarctica has been losing ice mass at a rate of −121±8 Gt/yr−121±8 Gt/yr and has experienced large acceleration of ice mass losses along the Amundsen Sea coast of −18±5 Gt/yr2−18±5 Gt/yr2, doubling the mass loss rate in the past six years.
Accelerated West Antarctic ice mass loss continues to outpace East Antarctic gains

Step 4 - ignore what has already been posted multiple times that shows your assertion to be incorrect:

tdskip said:
As deep ocean temperatures around Antarctic rise, they increase ice shelf melt, according to a study led by Richard Bintanja. This meltwater is creating a cool layer near the surface of the ocean that promotes sea ice production. In addition, the meltwater is fresh, or much less salty and dense than surrounding saline ocean layers. So fresher meltwater floats upward, mixing with the cold surface layer, lowering its density. As this fresh layer expands, it forms a stable puddle on top of the ocean that makes it easier to produce and retain sea ice.
This growing fresh puddle changes the ocean heat flux. Zhang also studied this change, and his models showed that warming would increase sea ice, up to a point. “If the current warming continues, the increase in ice may continue for some time,” Zhang said. But, the increase will likely not continue indefinitely. “If the warming gets stronger, there will come a point when ice growth is smaller than the ocean heat flux available to melt ice,” he said. Under those conditions, sea ice extent and volume will begin to decrease.
Why is there so much Antarctic sea ice? | Icelights: Your Burning Questions About Ice & Climate

·
Registered
2,048 Posts

From your citation "...Part of the reason is what psychologists call "motivated reasoning...."

This problem is particularly entrenched once an issue has become ideologically polarized. Most people do not think about the issues in an impartial way and then decide which party to support. Instead, they identify with a political party and then take their cue on particular issues from the talking points of its leading exponents...."

Consistent with why Watt and other junk science sources are usually the only citations posted by those attempting to reject the science.

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
GISS chart is based upon distorted data in order to keep the faithful engaged.

Antarctic ice cover has been at record highs.

Your chart of this season's Arctic coverage shows what I've been writing about.

Well under the standard deviation band in March and back into it in May, when your chart was last posted.

Posting to this week, has it still within the band.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
More on how to be a climate change denier with steps #5

Step #5 - don't know where your data comes from and contradict yourself as a result

... satellite measure, which can't be altered by ambitious bureaucrats and their grant-seeking leeches (GSLs)

Your chart of ice mass has an element of calculation in it.

Ice coverage is area with no need for calculation.
Uh, you do know that ice coverage and MASS are based on satellite measures and both require "calculation", yes? Therefore, based on your logic, it is all good including the real measure of mass or all bad which invalidates your claim.

"The GRACE (Gravity Recovery and Climate Experiment) satellite gravity mission shows that total mass loss in Antarctica is accelerating over time. They found that total mass loss increased by 26 ± 14 gigatonnes per year from 2002 to 20099. Rignot et al. (2011) found a smaller acceleration of 14.5±2 gigatonnes per year from 1993-20115, but this change is still three times larger than that found for mountain glaciers and ice caps.

Antarctic Ice Sheet surface mass balance

861 - 880 of 1356 Posts