Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,714 Posts
Certainly the US, my guess is a southern track? That's a Greyhound Silversides there, cool bus. I hope someone can provide more info.

Andrew

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
At first I was thinking it was the 19580816-17 Montgomery Melee, #170 being John Guthrie's Spider, but none of the other numbers seem to match.
#12 Spider
#252 Corvette
#44 Healey ??
#55 ???
Pity you can't read the race# on the other Spiders.
Ronny

·
Premium Member
21,714 Posts
White 44? on the right front near the Caddy is a 1500 MGA, judging by the small taillights.

Lot of Spiders in there. Europe never had that many racing, it was mostly Sprints there in period. Greig has guesstimated that 80% of Spiders came to the US.

Andrew

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I meant the white #44. Didn't know what it was.
It's definitely in the States, looking at all the (big) cars in the background.
Ronny

·
Premium Member
21,714 Posts
Forwarded to a friend who might know. I can move this thread to Motorsports, which might bring in more lookers. Let me know if that's desirable.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
OK, here's a wild guess - based on the paddock appearing to be inside a short, banked oval, can it be Marlboro in Maryland? It looks as thought the photo may have been taken from the grandstands opposite the start/finish that was on the oval. The track exited the oval after S/F, and, after a number of corners and straights, re-entered the oval at what would be turn 2 on the oval.

Mike Hemsley

·
Premium Member
21,714 Posts
Thanks for chiming in. Looks like a big event, or would a regular ol' SCCA regional race have been this busy? I'm guessing 1957-1960, but a blowup would help to discern the cars better, for instance, if any Giuliettas are 101.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
Wherever it is, it is likely to be an SCCA race. The size of the field indicates a National race, but the Regionals were pretty well attended in the late '50s, which is my guess of time frame.

One last comment - is that a Greyhound or a Flxible bus? I can't tell from the angle.

Mike

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
This has to be a race in the late 1950's or very early 1960's. I started to drive my 101 Sprint Veloce in 1968 and went to the first AROSC Time Trials at Ontario Motor Speedway in 1971. I also went to SCCA races at Riverside International Raceway and the 750/101 Spiders were highly modified not like the Spider in the photo.

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
Good point, Ronny. I wonder, though, if that photo was taken from in front of the stands - more on the level of the track. That might account for not being able to see the part of the track between Subway and Cappy's Corner.

This is fun...LOL! Thanks for the track map - brought back a lot of memories.

A few years ago, when I was in the DC area, I went looking for the track and found it. It's still there but in pretty bad shape - very overgrown.

Mike

·
Premium Member
21,714 Posts
There were sooo many tracks in those days. Permanent circuits, airports, fairgrounds, parking lots of fairgrounds (Stockton, Pomona), old army posts (Kirker Creek/Camp Stoneman). I hope we figure it out. The color pic on the previous page has a red Daimler SP 250, which might help date it a little closer (not earlier than 1969?). Vaca Valley is (it's still there) similar to Marlboro in that it's a banked oval, with drag strip, and road course appended.

Can someone extract the original paddock image, blow up/enhance, and repost?

Andrew

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The picture of the Daimler is from the 19600415 races at Marlboro, and has (as far as I know) nothing to do with the paddock picture.
Ronny

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think my comment on the armco can be denied. I guess it was installed a little further down the track. In 1966 there was no armco, since they started in front of the paddock / pit / grandstand. It was a Le Mans start, and there's no trace of an armco.
Ronny

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts