Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First at all I apologize for my english. I'm from Barcelona, Spain.
I've bought a Giulietta Spider Normale first sold in California. Is in overall good conditon but some trim and interior parts are not original or damaged.

The steering wheel is one of them: The black exterior ring has a big crack filled whith some type of rubber, the white plastic piece attached to the horn ring has been badly restored and the horn button has the plastic cracked, but the gold alfa emblem under it looks in well condittion.

I try to restore it myself and I ask help about the materials needed and the procedure to do it correctly.

Thank you

·
Super Moderator
11,379 Posts
Steering wheel repair

With the value of these cars increasing, most of those I know with your problem seek out a better steering wheel on E-Bay. There are speciality shops, here in the USA, that can restore these, and other vintage and classic steering wheels. I understand it is quite expensive, often more so than locating a better replacement.
I would be interested if other BB members have delt successfully with this problem.:confused:
By the way, no need to apologize for your english! Many of us that were born here can be somewhat hard to understand! :DGordon Raymond

·
Super Moderator
3,642 Posts
Hi Eusebio

Welcome to the BB !!

A fast easy & cheap way to restore the steering wheel is to remove the "rubber" stuff filling the crack, then clean out the crack with Benzine.

Use a twin pack epoxy product to fill the crack.(I use Pratley's Putty - check on Google). When it is dry, file & sand it to match the surrounding profile of the steering wheel.

Finally spray the wheel with a black epoxy paint especially designed for plastic parts.

The white plastic covering the hooter ring is available from Alfastop in the UK, or AFRA in Italy or OK Parts in Germany. Use a hairdrier to soften the original white plastic for removal & to soften the new plastic for fitting.

Ciao
Greig
Sunny South Africa
Some 750's
Some 101's
Some 105's
Some others

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you, Craig

I'll proceed in this way. Take some photos of the process and attach them in the forum.

Eusebio

·
Registered
5,969 Posts
Eusebio,

I would say that this new product from POR-15 is the best on the market. I wouldn't paint my steering wheel rim.

Good luck, and post some photos when you're finished! :)

Alex.

·
Super Moderator
11,379 Posts
Steering wheel repair

Alex,
The POR 15 kit looks like a very good way to approach steering wheel repair:). I've done other repairs on hard rubber and the black plastic like material of the Alfa steering wheels myself, usually in fear that I will really mess it up:eek:. The completeness of this kit, hopefully with good instructions, makes it look like a really good product:cool:. Anyone in BB land tried this?
:DGordon Raymond

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Hello,

I've bought on ebay a used good condition hor button without cracks for 102$, plus shipping to Spain; and the white plastic piece in OK parts, Germany for 90€ plus VAT and shipping (124€ total). I've contacted and experienced old man here in Barcelona who has restored many steering wheels from VW Beetle and will advice me how to proceed with the epoxy and peinture. A guy in Portugal asked 900€ all included for a good condition second hand one.

Greig, sorry but I'm not able to hold the photos

·
Super Moderator
11,379 Posts
Hello Eusebo,
900 E is quite high for a complete used wheel here in the US even in top condition. I sold a very nice, complete used one on USA E-Bay about 3 years ago for US $250. If you are still looking for a used wheel, keep posting the BB and watch US E-bay. Gordon Raymond

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, It's very heigh priced; some weeks ago a steering wheel for a Giulietta Sprint was sold on ebay Italy by 450€. It's for that reason that i've decided to restore mine; also because I injoy restoring items

1 - 11 of 11 Posts