Alfa Romeo Forums banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Again at Naples GT 1300cc (and below) race on May 14th, 1960 with this wonderful photo. #8 is Kim and SZ 00001 1st, #10 is Sepe with SZ 00002 2nd, note that both SZ have the smaller side air intake with only 2 horizontal bars. #12 is Riolo the previous week Targa Florio 1300cc class winner with SS muso basso 00045 3rd, #20 is Mandato with SVZ 04249 dnf, and #4 which we don't see the number but is behind & right of #20 is Natella with the real SVZ 04458 recogniseable by her double bubble roof, 4th.
Car Vehicle Sky Street light Motor vehicle

·
Registered
325 Posts
Interesting. If the car is legit, though, I'm surprised the auction isn't being handled by an organization like Bonhams.
BAT gets you international coverage as well. Much cheaper buyer's premium and no seller's premium to speak of. BAT's net last year surpassed all of the other auction houses.

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
The Zagatos reportedly favored the color grey.
Wonderful photo of the participants at Naples. Thanks!
SZ 0001 and another SZ (0002?) failed to finish the Targa Floria a week earlier. Why was that?
Richard
Colorado

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
If only…I like to think that my Alfas have a little of that heritage baked in somewhere. I’d pay a nice sum to be able to drive it, fast but carefully, for a couple of hours.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Always thought these were sort of ugly ducklings compared to something like a GTA/GTam. But I love it from a technical and historic perspective. Certainly way out of my league.

·
Registered
10,285 Posts
The oversized tires are negatively accentuated by the car's diminutive proportions. These cars transcend artistry. I have no idea why this one sounds like a rattle trap on the cobbles .. It shouldn't let out a peep or squeak. It is the most solid platform Alfa ( er Zagato) ever made... fragile yet solid. .

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Uncle, it remains a small car (diemensions) with a 1300 cm3...

I imagine that it will be sold at a much higher price, but at the same level, we will still have a classic Italian V12. not signed Zagato, but finally...

my 1,5 cents :)

·
Registered
10,285 Posts
Uncle, it remains a small car (diemensions) with a 1300 cm3...

I imagine that it will be sold at a much higher price, but at the same level, we will still have a classic Italian V12. not signed Zagato, but finally...

my 1,5 cents :)
It's difficult to mix values of mouse power with Ferraris and justify them.. Look at what the diminutive Porsche Speeders bring and they were more plentiful ....

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
SZ 00001 is legit, in the same Italian family for 40 years and they sold their Sprint Veloce 1st series 04687 a long time ago to a Swiss friend of mine who owns the red 2000 Sportiva. The nose was changed after an accident a long time ago... This car is important not only because it is the 1st SZ, but also because it was purchased by the Scuderia Sant'Ambroeus and won the first victory for an SZ at the Naples GT 1300cc grand prix, a week after the Targa Florio, driven by Sergio Pedretti "Kim". In the photo SS "Muso Basso" 00045 of Vincenzo Riolo the 1300cc TF class winner at Naples behind Kim and SZ 00001. Note the small side air intakes with only 2 horizontal bars that SZ 00002 also had. SZ 00001 also has its original SVZ style seats you can see on the sales advert, albeit the original interior was not black but probably grey from my 1960 Geneva motor show photos.

View attachment 1708844
Dear 33Stradale67, I'm happy to find this high resolution photo of my new SZ. This car is now with me in Portland, Oregon. I'm interested in collecting as many good photos as possible from "back in the day". If you have any more of these, please let me know. Thank you!
Sincerely, Robert

·
Registered
64 Posts
Dear 33Stradale67, I'm happy to find this high resolution photo of my new SZ. This car is now with me in Portland, Oregon. I'm interested in collecting as many good photos as possible from "back in the day". If you have any more of these, please let me know. Thank you!
Sincerely, Robert
Hi Robert. congrats for becoming the new custodian of 00001! I just sent you a private message...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sincerely, Robert
Bob,

Did you really buy and transport this thing back to Portland in less than four days? Did you hire a transport plane from Italy? I have known for several decades that maybe you had a loose screw, or two, but I didn't think you were this car crazy! If you really have this jewel in Stumptown, I'd like to cast my gaze over it!

Bill

21 - 40 of 48 Posts