Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
In the market for cars of this sort, there's no such thing as unjustified doubt, or rather, skepticism. A Giulietta Sprint Zagato that was recently auctioned by a major house, and represented by the seller as an exquisitely restored original, was eventually revealed to be something very different. If the documentation of this car turns out to be indisputable, then good for the the buyer, and BaT. But the premium for an original of the species is enormous, as are the incentives to counterfeit it.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Hi AAlfa

Understand comments precisely....

Please share with us the detail of the Sprint Zagato recently auctioned by a major house which turned out to be something else, many of us may have missed it! I did....

Thanks!

Richard!

·
Administrator
17,563 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Excuse me while I wipe the drool from my chin...This is my absolute favorite car in the world.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Hi D&T

I was about to open my big mouth, when I hesitated, thinking wise to check the facts first....

According to Anselmo/Boscarelli 00001 was Grigio metallizzato - metallic grey - when delivered to first custodian Scuderia Sant'Ambroeus, and appears confirmed this color in various fotos in the Hughes/Da Prato book.

The reason for raising all this was that my SZ #00023 according to the same source was delivered in Grigio to the same team. However, whether that is true or not it only appeared in white with a red stripe! As confirmed by Sergio "Kim" Pedretti the driver....

Yes, sad it morphed into red....

Richard

·
Registered
10,410 Posts
Richard.. hope all is well with your condenser issues... Yes the best way to check the pedigree on these is historic photos and in various stages of before and after photos along with lineage of owners. The counterfeiting circles are rife with probably more examples of cars in duplicates than there are that were real.

·
Registered
10,410 Posts
I'm more inclined to believe this has the provable provenance of 00001.. The ASI registration doesn't carry much water but there might be some archival evidence in the paperwork that reveals the pedigree.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Interesting. If the car is legit, though, I'm surprised the auction isn't being handled by an organization like Bonhams.
SZ 00001 is legit, in the same Italian family for 40 years and they sold their Sprint Veloce 1st series 04687 a long time ago to a Swiss friend of mine who owns the red 2000 Sportiva. The nose was changed after an accident a long time ago... This car is important not only because it is the 1st SZ, but also because it was purchased by the Scuderia Sant'Ambroeus and won the first victory for an SZ at the Naples GT 1300cc grand prix, a week after the Targa Florio, driven by Sergio Pedretti "Kim". In the photo SS "Muso Basso" 00045 of Vincenzo Riolo the 1300cc TF class winner at Naples behind Kim and SZ 00001. Note the small side air intakes with only 2 horizontal bars that SZ 00002 also had. SZ 00001 also has its original SVZ style seats you can see on the sales advert, albeit the original interior was not black but probably grey from my 1960 Geneva motor show photos.

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi D&T

I was about to open my big mouth, when I hesitated, thinking wise to check the facts first....

According to Anselmo/Boscarelli 00001 was Grigio metallizzato - metallic grey - when delivered to first custodian Scuderia Sant'Ambroeus, and appears confirmed this color in various fotos in the Hughes/Da Prato book.

The reason for raising all this was that my SZ #00023 according to the same source was delivered in Grigio to the same team. However, whether that is true or not it only appeared in white with a red stripe! As confirmed by Sergio "Kim" Pedretti the driver....

Yes, sad it morphed into red....

Richard
00001 was repainted red like so many SZ...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi AAlfa

Understand comments precisely....

Please share with us the detail of the Sprint Zagato recently auctioned by a major house which turned out to be something else, many of us may have missed it! I did....

Thanks!

Richard!
Bonhams were told repeatedly that car was not legit, but their US guy was 100% sure it was, oh well...

·
Registered
329 Posts
Its interesting that several cars ( Bonhams) have been re-numbered with that number. They could start an owner's club. There are books with the numbers in them but that's only one tool.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts