Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello-

I'm new to the world of Alfa's. I'm seriously considering a purchase of a 1960 Giulietta Sprint Speciale located in CA. I had a PPI perfromed and I'm now trying to do some research on how correct everything is on the car. It's always my prefence to have the car as close to correct as possible - at least from a visual standpoint. I'm having difficulty understanding what types of interiors were available. I see cloth and leather interiors and I was hoping to get a better understanding of what the factory options were. Does anyone know of a resource or book that details original equipment, paint, and interior schemes? Like a restoration guide?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
Hi matt-pizzi and welcome to the world of Alfas. I have a Giulia SS which Ive had for about 2 years. As Im sure youre aware, the Giulia replaced the Giulietta in the Alfa line up. If you posted a pic of the car you could probably get some very specific comments but I understand why you may not want to do that.

Here's a few thoughts - Im certainly not an authority - and hopefully others will chime in and correct me if IM incorrect....

I havent seen any specific SS restoration guides - although there are obviously many Alfa books which feature the Speciale.
The interior, because you're talking about cars that are 60 years old, have inevitably been restored or replaced or whatever....and sometimes not back to the original materials or style. I believe that the Giulietta generally came in 2 interior styles (this was confirmed by a gentlemen whose been driving Alfas since the 60s), red vinyl with cloth or blue vinyl with cloth. Many of the elements are similar or shared across the Giulietta series. The cloth is pretty light in color and is a weave - its often called salt and pepper because of the tones in the weave. Maybe there were more options - there certainly were for the Giulia series cars (including leather).
The seats, which I believe are the same style for the Giulietta and the Giulia, are "sprung" steel seats...and kind of impractical in the SS IMO. There is not a lot of interior room in the SS and those seats (and I mean the thickness and style of the cushions) take up too much room.....so you see a lot of the SSs with some kind of seat alterations to make them more practical. And obviously, the seats are the first things to require some help if the car has been used! Mine are original but Ive adjusted them so they aren't so "thick"...I recently spoke to a well known Alfa restorer who very commonly "upgrades" the seats so that they are more practical and considerably thinner - gaining 1 or 2" precious inches in the cabin. IMO if you're going to drive the car, rather than stare at it, thats a very practical upgrade....but each to his own.

There's obviously a lot of information here on the forum. Ive also learnt a lot from looking at a lot of cars on the internet - staring at pictures to try and figure out some funny detail that Im trying to replace/fix. Through the mists of time this can be either be slightly frustrating or "it is what it is"....especially with Italian car companies that would often use parts from the next series of cars on the end run of the current series....but theres tons of photos of interiors. Especially on sites like BaT and auction sites....often very detailed and you can start drawing your own conclusions through the law of averages....
Theres also this site:
You might even find your car on there...but theres a lot of photos etc...
The parts book is great to look at to understand originality - thats readily available - and theres even a proper owners maintenance manual for the Giulietta series. Obviously the most important thing is that you have all the correct parts on the car - and the truly important parts are clearly the correct engine series etc....if worst came to worse, the interior materials can be worked on, the parts are harder to come by.

Good luck! The Speciale is a great car.

Roger

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Roger -

Thanks so much for your reply. And I totally agree that alterations for the purpuse of driving the car is appropriate and even desireable. I'm not looking to show the car, I just like them in the best condition. The car in question is this one: History of Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Speciale 00338

Admittedly I prefer leather interiors vs cloth/vinyl ... but if that's what they offered, I guess I'd prefer it to be more correct than just having leather for the sake of it.

I'm pretty disappointed I missed this one: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1961-alfa-romeo-giulietta-sprint-speciale-7/ - and I'm trying to figure out the appropriate price delta between the two... understanidng the BaT auction was probably a really good deal.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
I would say that there can be pretty big auction price variations (once you get into this kind of price range)....sometimes I’m not quite sure why! I guess it depends if you have a few people looking to buy at the same time and they bid each other up....anyway...auctions can be a little random....

Here’s a few quick thoughts....

On the interiors of those 2 cars, I would say that it’s really a very subjective choice. If you’re trying to be original then the cloth is closer but I’d have to compare to a few pictures to see how well they matched the original look. But it’s obviously a redo...it’s not original. The devil is in the details of what was done.

Comparing those 2 cars, clearly an obvious difference is how much mechanical work (engine rebuild etc...) one car has over the other....

On the interior, I love the older style instrumentation (the 3 main dials) of the car you missed - that I believe is the correct instrumentation for that car. I believe you should have the same dials in the car you’re looking at - it appears as though it has the later Giulia main dials. It’s a 1960 car....hmmmm....so there’s a chance they were replaced....anyone else care to comment on that?? But if I bought a Giulietta I’d like to have those older (more charming IMO) dials. You can find them...but they’re pretty rare...because you’d be looking for the Veloce spec dials, not just Giulietta dials...

I’ll take a longer look a bit later.

They’re both great looking cars and I really like the Speciale in a darker color.

Rog.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The gauges are a huge difference. That I would change for sure, so I'd have to be on the hunt for them..

·
Administrator
4,074 Posts
Actually you could have had leather as an option if specified at the time of purchase. Bertone offered it in the Accessories Catalogue. He was a coachbuilder & used to doing on-offs & special orders. During '58 & '59 & into early '60 Bertone & Alfa went from vinyl / cloth to vinyl / vinyl combinations in a variety of colours.

00338 is a Tipo 10117 - this is a US Spec Speciale, it has no front fender repeater indicators, the gauges would be in MPH & I suspect that it would originally have had red rear indicator lenses, by comparison 177162 is a European spec car with fender indicators.

According to the Parts Catalogue & as far as I know, all the SS's all had the later Giulia gauges - SS owners need to chime in here !!

Both are exceptionally beautiful cars, but I have to confess that the red & light grey interior is exquisite against the Dutch Blue exterior & I would go for that every time

Ciao
Greig

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
According to the Parts Catalogue & as far as I know, all the SS's all had the later Giulia gauges - SS owners need to chime in here !!
Hmm interesting. I quickly scanned through some images in the registry and most have the Giulia style guages. I bet people reverted back to the earlier gauges beacuse as Roger stated they're more charming.

·
Premium Member
1,478 Posts
I have 559, my gauges are like 338’s, I would bet the the other example above is wrong. Both cars are missing the under belly panel that covers the gas tank, at least it looks that way in pictures.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have 559, my gauges are like 338’s, I would bet the the other example above is wrong. Both cars are missing the under belly panel that covers the gas tank, at least it looks that way in pictures.
Thanks for chiming in. I appreciate it. Where is the best place to source parts for the SS's?

·
Registered
276 Posts
I have a 64 Giulia. It has the larger engine and disc brakes. I am not sure about the gauges but it would seem they would have been lockstep with the other offerings. I also have a 62 but titled as a 64 Sprint. It has the earlier gauges. It was also fitted with a Veloce tach even though it was a Normale. I reckon they were just "using up" inventory. My 64 SS has the later gauges. My 64 SS has solid black vinyl. It was redone but I believe in the original style. The cloth coincides with what I've seen on earlier ones. I am tall, the previous owner was taller. I think he removed some padding. With any Alfa check for rust. Check again! The paint on mine was 20+ years old so I figured if Mr Bubbles was going to rear his head. He would have.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Thank you for using my register as a source of information to verify a car. Now you know exactly why I do this.
As to authenticity, it will be a work in progress to verifying the details. From what I see in the photos it looks pretty good. A good in-person overall would be the best thing with someone that has one in good condition to compare to.
What is the ultimate end goal? Driver? Show car? Some of both?
You can also consult the 750-101 group for more information as we have 1000 members worldwide and no topic is off-limits when it comes to making sure things are correct. We just had a long discussion about the crankcase vent tube.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you for using my register as a source of information to verify a car.
What is the ultimate end goal? Driver? Show car? Some of both?
Thank you for creating and maintaining such a great resource. I don't plan to show it, but I like my cars to look as nice as possible. I think my biggest concern is paying the appropriate price for the car. If th enext guy will take issue with something I'd like to be aware of it up front.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
As I said, I sometimes just throw something up to get a car in the resister. I have a lot more photos of 00338 that I will try to get up this evening. So, check the SS register tomorrow. :)

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
I checked the folder for the car against what is on the web, and everything is up there..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts