Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a couple of questions regarding a '61 101 series Giulietta Sprint normale:

1. The hand throttle cable is stuck and won't pull (I assume it pulls rather than twists). I've disassembled it as far as I can. A small pin in the hole on the side of the shaft prevents the knob and central wire from rotating (Photo 1, arrow). When this pin is removed, the knob and central wire rotate freely, but still won't slide. I've also drilled out the small pip on the side just below the bezel (Photo 2), which fits into a slot on the hole in the dash to keep the assembly from turning, and can see no obstruction there. The brass sleeve on the shaft does not turn or slide.

Can anyone tell me how the wire is attached to the knob shaft, and what could be keeping those from sliding? My next step would be to cut off the brass sleeve, but I'm afraid of damaging it beyond repair.

2. What are the slots in the rear seat back (Photo 3) and below the rear deck (Photo 4) for? Luggage straps? If so, does anyone have a photo of them? Does anyone make these?

Thanks,
Don

Attachments

·
Registered
679 Posts
Yes, those are luggage straps.
The throttle cable is not a pull cable, but the button rotates and so pulls at the cable.
I tried to disassemble it too, but it was fine.

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
1. You twist the hand-throttle knob. You do not pull it.

2. They are for luggage straps. There was extensive discussion on this topic a few years ago on the BB. Do a search.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

Bob, et al,
Thanks for the info. As you said, the sprint hand throttle knob does, in fact, twist. The pin through the shaft had withdrawn slightly and fouled the shaft so the inner wire & mechanism could not slide nor turn. Also, the shaft that attaches the knob to the wire mechanism had frozen due to disuse. (When it wouldn't move, I had inferred, erroneously, that it should pull, as does the one in my Giulietta TI.) Setting the pin correctly and some penetrating oil solved the problem. Thanks again.
Don

·
Registered
7,752 Posts
1. You twist the hand-throttle knob. You do not pull it.

Going a step further, at full stop counter-clockwise the cable/wire should be attached to the pedal linkage at rest = zero throttle. Then turning it clockwise will retrieve the cable ever so slightly moving the pedal linkage on the firewall and may take a number of full revolutions of the knob to attain maximum throttle position allowed by this cable/wire. Think of it as an old fashioned pocket watch that needs winding. The stop at each end is pretty easy to identify by feel and you should not go past that point of resistance. Holding the pedal with your toe while you are setting it cuts down on the resistance on the knob.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great info

Thanks. Any suggestion for how to clamp the wire after bending it in place through the throttle arm? My TI has a small brass piece clamping the wire end to the wire.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Here's a pic of the inner parts of the hand throttle. When you twist the knob, the cable moves back and forth, adjusting throttle opening.

In my case, I cut about 1" of the cable housing to effectively lengthen the cable since it had been cut short in the engine bay.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,752 Posts
You can string a piece of thin brass or aluminum tubing (good hardware store) on the back side and loop the loose end through it and pinch it closed.

·
Registered
57 Posts
My 60 sprint has a small round metal piece with a hole in it for the throttle wire and a small set screw to clamp the wire. I believe this is what the factory used but don't know for sure. The set screw allows a certain amount of adjustment per the throttle. DC

1 - 11 of 11 Posts