Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had exiting moments last weekend as I started to take my Sprint apart for the first steps of its restauration. I know very well that this normally is the start of a very long journey and also that from now on there is only one possible direction: forward! On my Roundtail Spider from start to finish this took more than 10 years. I will not have this amount of time for the Sprint so most work will need to be done by others.

It seems that I am starting with a very good basis, no nasty surprises yet. I only found one 2x2 inch patch in the rear wheel house, no other welding evident. No accident damage (apart from a dented trunk lid, nothing structural). Nevertheless there are rust holes in some places: left side of the trunk, rear right wheel arch, passanger footwell and front of the inner sill. Surface rust in many places which might extend further than expected. But it seems I will not experience the rust horrors some others have documented on this site.

The car still had the original felt like mats which are glued to the floor, to the area below the rear seat/luggage area, the tunnel and to some other places. These are obviously terrible moisture traps, the whole area below them has rust, although I still hope it is mainly on the surface so that even after some blasting most of the area can remain without repairs.

It was quite an experience to take the delicate aluminium trim off the car trying not to damage anything and to not loose those tiny screws. And I was truly amazed about how flimsy and flexible these B-posts are once you have removed the window and trim. I certinly would not want to land one of these cars on the roof!

I have now three weeks to take the main bits off before the body man comes to pick up the car. I am going to have the underneath, engine and engine bay ice blasted to get a better idea of the general condition. Some of the inside, the open sills and the boot will get soda blast treatment.

Then we will take it from there, lets see what we find. Whish me luck.

Attachments

·
Administrator
12,590 Posts
Looks like a fairly original car.
Pete

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Alfa Romeo Sprint Veloce 12-21-13 001.jpg

Alfa Romeo Sprint Veloce 12-21-13 004.jpg

Alfa Romeo Sprint Veloce 12-21-13 006.jpg I had my 1961 Sprint Veloce body blasted using walnut chips. The body work was completed and should find the original photos of the walnut blasted body.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
In the end we went for carefull sand blasting as fast and effective method and all came out well. The larger surfaces and some details will need some finishing/sanding but that will be done quickly to get the car primed.

We decided to cut the (very healthy) outer sill plates out to better get in between the open sill panels for surface rust removal. The car is in very good shape body wise. Main areas of body work are passenger floor and front end of inner sill, corners of boot floor, rear right lower wheel arch, door bottoms and some minor other areas. I was really very lucky finding such a good body if I compare this to some of the other restauration projects on the BB.

I also found no accident damage (apart from a small bump into the trunk lid)

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Sig ,

I am Istvan from Hungary , I have started my 1958 Sprint but my car is in a very bad condition . Could you sent me some pictures about the outer sills , before you take them out from the car . I am interested about the fixing of the sills to the body on the bottom , and at the jacking points.

Regards

Istvan

·
Registered
7,759 Posts
Greig in South Africa can help. Sig's car in Germany is a later car. Your '58 probably had no inner sills .. just open in the breeze. with little strips to stabilize the outer skin. Alfa should have left them all like this.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's one of the rare cases where uncle is wrong :) my car has the Open sills indeed and although they are good we cut them out to Sandblast the surface rust on the inside. I am travelling currently so cannot Check the photos I have but will Do so later this week.

·
Registered
7,759 Posts
It's one of the rare cases where uncle is wrong :) my car has the Open sills indeed and although they are good we cut them out to Sandblast the surface rust on the inside. I am travelling currently so cannot Check the photos I have but will Do so later this week.
Sig, thanks.. I wander into territory reserved for experts .. I've only owned 1 Sprint.. that's why I deferred to Greig as a backstop . Maybe he can tell us if these rocker sections were ever closed. Either way it seems if Sig's match up the jack points should be in his pictures when he gets to them.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The rear bumper fits again!

We had to correct the shape around the top of the rear right light with some lead. This can't have been right from the Bertone factory, the wing shape would not match the Carello unit. The left side was spot on though.

Attachments

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Some progress. These photos have been taken around 4 weeks ago. The car is with the paint shop now.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 28 Posts