Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The Texas 103 plus degree heat, and insurmountable work load is keeping me in hiding. Only the usual suspects know how to find me. Restoration on 06611 is coming along very well and I hope to have the shell epoxy primer within the next week or so. Mean time, I have been working on the restoration of another 58 Veloce. This one happens to be an easier project with virtually no rust. Yet, once the primer was removed it appeared to be one of those circa 1980's type of body repair work where all the dents and small body damage were hidden under lots of Bondo. We removed all the Bondo and planished all the damaged metal to its original shape. My goal is to send both the Sprint and the Spider to be painted at the same time. Next restoration will be my newly acquired 64 Green SS.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,375 Posts
Goodings? I think Mecum would be the proper venue...or a yard sale. where's my stuff? I had to get the ball rolling on this thread since everyone else is speechless, which equates to unimpressed

·
Premium Member
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
58 Spider Veloce progress

As stated on the 06611 post I am starting to move on into the spider veloce and work continuity is seamless. At least on my view from inside the forest. As suspected, the few small pinholes on the rockers were a clear indication of some rust treatment required inside the vehicle supporting structure before proceeding further. We removed both rockers where we will sand blast and apply a nice code of POR15. "BTW" that stuff is like rock! We should be finishing with this one soon before moving to waiting room. Coming soon 64 SS sheet metal work Hummm!!! that is going to be interesting!!!!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,040 Posts
Remember Lionel, these cars were never intended to last this long! My spider always lived in a dry, heated in winter, air conditioned in summer, shop. Never out in bad weather. However racing rigors popped loose many of those spot welds in the sill structural members, so when I removed the outer panel for a look, not only was there rust in there, but the structure was all twisted and rumpled. I replaced everything with heaver gauge metal, no holes, and welded full length. Nice and stiff now, just like it was when I bought it 46 years ago. Plenty of corrosion preventative in there as well. A retired racer that won't need restoration for a long while.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,040 Posts
Did the same with my AUSCA spider. It looked absolutely perfect, but knowing these cars, and my cars racing history, it seemed a little peek inside would be wise. I first cut a small window about 10 inches back from the front edge. That exposed popped spot welds, so I opened up some more and found what racing and time had done, completely hidden by the perfect outer sills!. I've had this car since I was 20 years old. I'm now 65. It needs to remain as built as long as I own it. Structural soundness is most important with these great cars.

·
Premium Member
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Progress on Giulietta Spider Veloce F04695 Restoration

Additional updates on my other projects. Giulietta Spider Veloce F04695 Restoration is near and I mean very near completion, just lacking the inner and outer rocker and presto! another metal work project that bites the dust. I was fortunate enough that this particular car was very good with the exception of some badly done body work as it was revealed as the car was stripped to metal. Lots of bondo was removed from the nose, rear section, trunk lit, hood and doors. All sections were hand planished and metal restored to original state.

Attachments

·
Registered
127 Posts
Lionel, looks like you're making some good progress - thanks for sharing. Maybe if you get tired of those clean Texas cars and want a challenge, i can send my Ohio car down to you!

·
Super Moderator
12,040 Posts
Or Illinois car! As you know Lionel, I REALLY love it when I see another of these saved!

·
Premium Member
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Giulietta Spider Rocker panels installation

Here is the latest video of the ongoing restoration of this Giulietta Spider Veloce. Additional photos to follow.

Enjoy the show

Lionel

·
Super Moderator
12,040 Posts
Did you use any surface sealant on the inside of that outer panel Lionel? I just sprayed mine with the waxy Cosmoline type stuff before and after assembly.

·
Premium Member
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Gordon,

The inner sills were sand blasted, metal prepped, Rustoleum coded, and then epoxy primer over it included the inner outer sills

·
Super Moderator
12,040 Posts
Thanks Lionel. This is an often asked question as factory sills were bare metal, and you sure don't want condensation caused by making this area air tight! It needs "something" in there. I did the same as you inside, epoxy "etching" primer on the outer cover, and the waxy cosmoline everywhere. It smelled for a short while, but is not unpleasant, and the stuff stays tacky.
All good to know. I'm sure we have pickled and preserved these cars to now really outlive us! Thats just fine!

·
Premium Member
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Lionel. This is an often asked question as factory sills were bare metal, and you sure don't want condensation caused by making this area air tight! It needs "something" in there. I did the same as you inside, epoxy "etching" primer on the outer cover, and the waxy cosmoline everywhere. It smelled for a short while, but is not unpleasant, and the stuff stays tacky.
All good to know. I'm sure we have pickled and preserved these cars to now really outlive us! Thats just fine!
It is my view to take care of what was originally and intentionally overlooked process in order to ensure the added protection. The vehicle longevity is further assure despite of the fact that it will outlive me regardless whether I go the extra effort or not. These vehicles are hardly the road trotters they us to be and will spent most of their ripe age hidden under a cover for the occasional Sunday drive.

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
These vehicles are hardly the road trotters they us to be and will spent most of their ripe age hidden under a cover for the occasional Sunday drive.
"road trotters they used to be "

Sure--my Spider enjoys a Sunday drive, but it is, today, a rather quick car with an outstanding compromise between comfort and handling.:D

That's on not-so-good road surfaces.

:cool::cool:

·
Administrator
13,669 Posts
Quality work for sure!
Pete

1 - 20 of 38 Posts